Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€43 million paid out in claims by local authorities this year.

• 11-12-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭

https://www.newstalk.com/news/e43m-paid-claims-local-authorities-far-year-936358

More than €43m was paid out in insurance claims on behalf of 28 local authorities in the first nine months of this year.

It is a big increase on 2018, when nearly €47m was dished out in the entire year.

No wonder there is no money for left for every day running of local authorities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Would like to think we are slowly reaching a critical mass in this country about personal injury claims but then again, I shouldn't hold my breath perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heard that was shocked that Waterford paid out 1.8m in 9 months but then it was stated that last year it was nearly 3 million! So success! :eek:

I'd love to see a break down of the list - every case with detailed information and the pay out for each incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Heard that was shocked that Waterford paid out 1.8m in 9 months but then it was stated that last year it was nearly 3 million! So success! :eek:

I'd love to see a break down of the list - every case with detailed information and the pay out for each incident.

I just hope that after the payout they fix what was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's the thing though, what was wrong? We don't know do we. In ireland most litigants are chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In many cases the council aren't in the wrong - plenty of frustration amongst the council when their insurer decides to settle rather than fight dubious claims.

Apparently the cost of fighting a claim (court, legal fees etc) is more than your average settlement. So insurers will always opt for the 'cheaper' option, if it can be called that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

When you have people, who are given free social housing, ‘slipping’ on their own front door step because they were drunk and suing and winning; you know something is seriously wrong.

Advertisement