Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free speech under attack at Irish Universities ?

Options
  • 02-01-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

First they came for the Christians...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any chance of telling us what it's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Any chance of telling us what it's about?

Some Christian student group had funds resting in their account they shouldn't have.

/terrible summing up.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

2 years ago, NUI Galway were accused of promoting males to senior positions within the University, ahead of females. When I heard the word equality mentioned in the clip, I was sure it was a reference to this.

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, he makes a lot of assertions there, but doesn't seem to back a lot of them up with evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

This is one more piece of proof that we are sending too many people to third level education.

A waste of their time and our money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Never previously heard of this guy but this came up Googling him.

http://www.rabble.ie/2014/03/04/irelands-phelps-family-and-nuig/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Funny enough ive just started a thread on this very issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Can students still talk about fanny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hehe - Dr Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Your Face wrote: »
    Hehe - Dr Brown.

Calling Dr Jones

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I remember them from a few years ago, batshiit crazy religious fundamentalist family, what are they up to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Impeachment is the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,143 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

darkdubh wrote: »
    Never previously heard of this guy but this came up Googling him.

http://www.rabble.ie/2014/03/04/irelands-phelps-family-and-nuig/

There's a video on that link and the music on it. Jaysus wept

I do feel sorry for the kids sometimes, even though their views are vile they never really had much of a chance.. Isaac, Enoch, Elijah, Simeon, imagine growing up with those names in Ireland? (they were all home schooled though of course so at least school wasnt an issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I do feel sorry for the kids sometimes, even though their views are vile they never really had much of a chance.. Isaac, Enoch, Elijah, Simeon, imagine growing up with those names in Ireland? (they were all home schooled though of course so at least school wasnt an issue)

One of them is training to be a secondary teacher, strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

To answer the title of thread " Free speech under attack at Irish Universities " ? 
    To a certain  degree I would say yes, some examples I can refer to.

( 1 )

A debate on the issue of boycotting Israel gets disrupted to the point where the debate had to be called off a few years ago.

( 2 ) February 2017 a meeting that was scheduled to have the Israeli ambassador speak at Trinity was cancelled due to security concerns.

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2017/02/after-event-with-israeli-ambassador-cancelled-trinity-criticises-unacceptable-attack-on-free-speech/

( 3 ) In reference to the video the OP posted, back in 2015 during the Marref debate , from what I recall the Burke family had many of their posters torn down by some students at Galway Uni, now whether you agreed or disagreed with their opinions on the issue, during a referendum debate all sides have a right to campaign & argue their point across without censorship .

( 4 ) In 2004 a debate was scheduled to be held on Immigration at Ucd, the speaker to argue the case for Immigration controls ( Justin Barrett ) was assaulted .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/assault-on-speaker-at-ucd-debate-25893151.html

If free speech isn,t under threat at Irish colleges or Irish Unis then surely students can gather to debate whether to boycott Israel without being disrupted to the point where such a debate has to be called off or surely students can observe a debate on Immigration without speakers who support Immigration controls being assaulted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Those Universities are like episodes of the the twilight zone.
    Just look to the good old USA.:D

DQmadfGHr39KbYvXQuMNCHuaVQUW85XbUYJxArhnYGXvzXQ_1680x8400

20150613_USD000_0.jpg

Noveight wrote: »
    One of them is training to be a secondary teacher, strangely enough.

Really? I presume that's just so they'll have something new to bitch about in a few years after abortion is consigned to history, respect my right not to teach gay propaganda or whatever. One of the girls appears reasonably normal but seems to be still involved with it all. What is it with these weird familes, aren't most of Iona all related to each other too? I wonder if you took away a handful of people how much opposition there really would have been in Ireland down through the years, and how much was just down to a handful of zealots browbeating the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Universities have they're own eco systems,not really relevant to anybody outside it.

Why can't they just drink and ruin their gaffs like most irresponsible students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I wonder if you took away a handful of people how much opposition there really would have been in Ireland down through the years, and how much was just down to a handful of zealots browbeating the general public
    True. People who lack the imagination and empathy to wear someone else's shoes but are able to use our innate short-sightedness to cloud our reasoned judgement and bring us down below their level for their own gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

A debate on the issue of boycotting Israel gets disrupted to the point where the debate had to be called off a few years ago.

Ah bazooka Joe... there was no facepalm big enough for his constant temper tantrums when I was in college, and I actually agree with BDS.

I wonder whether he is still there - he was something of a permanent fixture there in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do students know that nobody actually gives a fuuuck what they think? I wonder.

All of these meetings on campus about world events, always in a confrontational state.

I remember doing a part-time course and there were a number of class interruptions from people campaigning to be the 'president' of this or that. Fuk off mate. You're a 22 year old speaking to people with actual jobs and responsibilities and to some who were visibly weathered by life, dressed in your Guns N' Roses t-shirt and Converse handing out multi-coloured pens with your name on it, professing how important it will be for future students to have an outlet for their poncy esoteric interests and a more streamlined access to the online library.

Coonts!

Advertisement