Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talented Irish People Who Deserve More Respect

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,527 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

An musical legend but are you really saying he has a song or a tune that everyone here would know? I know enough about him to know he was supremely talented but naming an airport?

i think most people of a certain age would know this song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Agree. Microdisney particularly are very under appreciated. For many people Microdisneys The Clock comes down the Stairs is the best Irish album of the 80s. I have heard people call it the best album of the 80s anywhere. I think the Sunday Tribune voted this album the best album of the 1980s in 1989. Town to Town is a cracking single and even charted in the UK at the time. Coughlan and O Hagan are one of the greatest Irish songwriting partnership ever. Up there with the other two great songwriter partnerships of the 80s The Smiths Morrissey and Marr and The Go Betweens Mclennan and Foster. ( And of course The Go Betweens are the most underrated band ever and one of the greatest bands ever, Australias finest musical export along with Nick Cave. The Go Betweens were actually a better band then The Smiths. Only REM produced a better run of albums/songs in the 80s then The Go Betweens).

You've named some good Irish bands there, The Blades, Microdisney, A House and Something Happens in particular. However, you've missed the best Irish band of the 80's, bar none, the majestic Stars of Heaven. Stephen Ryan is by a country mile the best Irish songwriter of his generation. Check out the wonderful Lights of Tetoaun, or from his follow up band the Revenants, Speak Slowly, and one of the best songs I've ever heard from anyone, anywhere, Scott Millar Said. Incomparable stuff. A truly neglected songwriting genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

All Hail DJ Mek

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement