Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little ideas to help improve society

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd love an initiative when I could connect my kid with an elderly person. My son doesn't have a grandfather and he'd love one, I'm sure there are lots of older people who would love to spend time with a child or teen.

It's a brilliant idea.

When me and my sister were kids in England, like between 9 and 11, an eldery woman lived next door. Can't remember how it happened but we started visting her maybe twice a week just for an hour or two - obviously our parents knew and agreed. She'd get in treats for us and we'd just watch TV, play board games or chat. She hadn't ever married and if she had any family alive, we certainly never saw them.

She used to tell us loads of cool stories about everything from the war to life for her as kid back then. It was never boring, she was just like our nana. She'd also come into our house for stuff like Chrsitmas dinner or get togethers wth our family and I'd always go the shops for her if she needed anything.

When we loved to Ireland, we would write and she would send us cards until we found out she'd died - I think a letter came back marked Deceased - and we were heartbroken. I often think of her even though it was over 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As much as possible, always think of yourself as being part of a society of many others. A realtively simplistic idea that is evidently beyond the ken of many people.

Society would not be able to operate if a significant number of people were totally selfish. But it is a complex idea, not a simple one. Often what is good for one circle of society has adverse effects on others. Which is why for instance not all planning applications go through without objections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Go back to phones with capability to make and receive call only .. To much time spent looking at or following totally trivial sh..e on them .

I'm seriously considering going back to an ol skool phone... And start living in the now again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone allowing their dog to sh!t on the street should be dragged through a full septic tank of pure sh!te from the busiest pub in Ireland using a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All people in Ireland walking on footpaths should stick to the left, would save billions in lost productivity.
    Anyone stopped on a travelator should be shot in the knee so the next time they use an elevator because they are lazy fookwits.
    People parked at bottle banks should have their car crushed and turned in to a cube.
    Anyone without their money/card ready to pay at a checkout should be sold to Morocco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

KILL ALL HUMANS

Spend more time doing something productive and less time reading pure ****e here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

1. Sterilise anyone on long term benefits,

2. Total ban on cigarettes, there goes the need for benefits in the first instance.

3. Get global population under 4b, anyone unwilling to or unable to fire a gun should be shot, exemption for under 3's or over 90's only.

4. Anyone gets to 85 should be shot.

5. Without exception all billionaires wealth should be confiscated and distributed.

6. Politicians should be unpaid and have a maximum career length of 10 years before being forced back to teaching.

7. Ownership of houses should be limited to one per person, you can only live in one at a time anyway.

8. Anyone consuming alcohol should be kept a mandatory 50m from any technological interface.

9. Anyone dabbling in any unprescribed drugs should be shot.

10. there's more but rule 8 kicks in now..........

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Treat everyone equally

I try to do this, but if I have a bunch of sweets left near the end of Halloween, then the last visitors are going to get a disproportionate amount.

All people in Ireland walking on footpaths should stick to the left, would save billions in lost productivity.
    Anyone stopped on a travelator should be shot in the knee so the next time they use an elevator because they are lazy fookwits.
    People parked at bottle banks should have their car crushed and turned in to a cube.
    Anyone without their money/card ready to pay at a checkout should be sold to Morocco.

I love how creative these solutions are! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A travelator?

A travelator if you don't mind?

Lord save us. Whatever next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Anyone driving slower than the conditions would safely allow and with a que of cars behind them should be stopped by the guards and then murdered, strung up on the side of the road as a deterrent to other idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Phones should give you the option to lock certain numbers for a 12/24 hour period that would not allow you to text or call them.

Would have saved me a lot of drunken phone calls and texts to exes when i was pissed in my youth and saved a lot of embarrassment.

Just choose what numbers u dont wanna call before u go and get sloshed, problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

As much as possible, always think of yourself as being part of a society of many others. A realtively simplistic idea that is evidently beyond the ken of many people.

Go to China or most eastern countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

Clean your table after you have eaten in a restaurant or a fast food place.

Show your kids that it is not acceptable to just leave your mess there for someone else to sort:mad:.

Have a little bit of respect for the waiters who are on their feet all day.

Think about the next person who will sit at your table, who then needs to clean YOUR mess.

Have some respect for yourself and don't be such a pig.

Basically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Go back to phones with capability to make and receive call only .. To much time spent looking at or following totally trivial sh..e on them .

But I read this comment on my phone! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Wipe the public toilet seat after yourself please.
    Piddle droplets are just gross.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Issue everyone attending a funeral with an electric cattle prodder to be used on the little old dear in front of you who holds up the trueflow of mourners by hugging and kissing one of the bereaved while at the same time bewailing the fact that they haven't had a good chinwag since two Thursdays back.

Advertisement