Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You have €10,000 to spend...

• 08-03-2019 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

and for the sake of this thought experiment, these are your only options for how to spend it:

1. A Masters: You go back to college and get a Masters (or a different qualification if you don't have an undergrad). You improve your career prospects/ earnings in the long-run.

2. Travel: You pay €2.5k for a round-the-world ticket and the rest is spending money. You have unforgettable experiences, grow as a person, maybe find yourself over in India or something.

3. Your appearance: You pay the €10k to a crack team of personal trainers, nutritionists, beauticians, maybe a cosmetic surgeon for a bitta nip/tuck. You believe you will gain better career opportunities and have better luck with the opposite sex.

What's it gonna be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

2. If I can get the time off work hahaha, take the 4-5 weeks and go travel. Or take a career break.

3. Is an absolute no-no. I can get this information through research and book reading about nutritionists etc and already know a lot about it personally.. don't need surgery to feel confident.. already have a lean body. Weak option, you will grow more if you have experiences then focusing on your appearance. Also if you can't motivate yourself to learn how to exercise alone then you'll have nothing after you blow through the money on personal trainers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I choose #4. Blow it all on booze and drugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,842 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd go with 2. I'd travel to London with my around the world ticket and buy a car with the €7.5k and get the ferry home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

Cina wrote: »
    I choose #4. Blow it all on booze and drugs!

What? Become a boards Mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Patser wrote: »
    What? Become a boards Mod?
    I choose beans
    Or travel to colombia and set up a postal export business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How boring has my life become? All I can think is that that's about 2 years off the mortgage.

I don't need 3 and I already can't do the other 2 due to family/home circumstances.

So eh, when do I get the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A statue of Our Lady and some stone dog statues to go on the pillars of my gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Option 2, every day of the week.

There’s no masters or qualification that will get you very far compared to relevant experience, bar an MBA of course but that’s going to cost more than €10k.

You’d have to be some disaster to have to spend that amount on your appearance.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

. . . maybe find yourself over in India or something. . .

[/quote]

**** do i hate that phrase. Usually some dickhead student who goes on holidays with mammy and daddy funding them to "go find themselves". Why do people need to travel to do this? Can they not "find themselves" in their living room with a pack of johnny blue and a tin of carling?

A statue of Our Lady and some stone dog statues to go on the pillars of my gate.

Nine foot tall marble angel to look down on the dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

of those 3 options, option 2.

if i cared enough about more education or my appearance i would have done something about it by now.

i wouldnt be finding myself in India however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Id usually say travel but actually...

A masters. Get a masters in IT or similar and become the director of a company and can take 2 weeks off several times a year.. Then id have enough money to travel and could still go to india!

Or else if I picked travel... Go around all the world when i come back set up a small business like a restaurant /cafe. If i ever came back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Buy 4000 euromillion lottery tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've already done the first 2, could probably do with the third one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Definitely travel, but I'm raging there's no house repairs option. :mad: The place is falling down around me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Travel. Travel is always the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Zorya wrote: »
    Definitely travel, but I'm raging there's no house repairs option. :mad: The place is falling down around me!!

It's OK this isn't real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    and for the sake of this thought experiment, these are your only options for how to spend it:

1. A Masters: You go back to college and get a Masters (or a different qualification if you don't have an undergrad). You improve your career prospects/ earnings in the long-run.

2. Travel: You pay €2.5k for a round-the-world ticket and the rest is spending money. You have unforgettable experiences, grow as a person, maybe find yourself over in India or something.

3. Your appearance: You pay the €10k to a crack team of personal trainers, nutritionists, beauticians, maybe a cosmetic surgeon for a bitta nip/tuck. You believe you will gain better career opportunities and have better luck with the opposite sex.

What's it gonna be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's OK this isn't real

A lady can dream!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

• Advertisement

Travel. Fly first class or at the bare minimum "customer premium". So I can use First class Lounges at airports etc. First class train fares.
    Five star hotels.

10K would not do space travel, for the next 15 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

10k would not do that many first-class flights. I doubt you’d even get half way around the world before you ran out of cash (especially if staying in 5star accommodation). First-class flights are ludicrously expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I would definitely travel some more :)

set up an online business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

sugarman wrote: »
    Have done enough of #1 & 2 so would probably chose 3.

I'm really glad one person has picked 3.

I've done a lot of 1 and 2 as well, and I can see how they would benefit me to do more, but I think 3 would have the biggest overall impact on my life.

Loads have studies have proved people who are considered attractive are more successful, and people do make quick judgement calls about each other based on looks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

#2, I'd just go to Japan for some car shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭thomil

Definitely #2. Hurtigruten, here I come! :cool: :D

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Option 2 please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

1) €10k would just about cover fees, it's not enough to take a year off. Plus I already have a masters so no.

2) I'd do this.

3) I'm already a sexy bastard.

If I had €10k from a scratch card I'd use it to pay off my car loan and blow the rest on my world cup trip later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

3, penis reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

1 . don't think so , got a reasonably good leaving cert a long time ago but was never into ''the books'' .

2 . probably this , a cruise on the ''post boats '' on the coast of Norway is on the bucket list , so probably do it

3 . it's 10 k .... not a magic wand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

1 - Completed
    2 - Like to travel but wouldn't choose this option
    3 - Would go for this. Think the benefits in terms of overall health and accompanied self confidence would lead to long term benefits. Would instruct all professionals that their instruction had to be natural and sustainable. Ultimately it would come down to me to achieve the benefits and maintain it but I think getting good guidance and the accompanying monitoring and motivation would lead to a higher chance of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Have done a lot of 2, no interest in 3 and am doing 1 belatedly. Ten grand for my pocket just to slow burn til it's gone please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

I'm going with option 3

Not because I need/want plastic surgery, or because I need/want to look more attractive.

It would be because I'd love to get every test possible done, to see what I'm lacking in.

What foods/diet suit me. What intolerance's I might have.
    A full nutrition plan that's actually do-able.

Like get a full makeover for the inside of me.
    Spa treatments, massages, a colonic, the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Infonovice wrote: »
    I'm going with option 3

Not because I need/want plastic surgery, or because I need/want to look more attractive.

It would be because I'd love to get every test possible done, to see what I'm lacking in.

What foods/diet suit me. What intolerance's I might have.
    A full nutrition plan that's actually do-able.

Like get a full makeover for the inside of me.
    Spa treatments, massages, a colonic, the works.

It's like bringing s car to a mechanic they will find something wrong eventually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

I feel like a rusty old car alright:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Travel all the way.

New York for a week, I'd knock a fair chunk off that 10 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Full new sound system is what I'd use it for.

What I have now is fine, but I sure I could hoof it even further.

Buy a proper tape deck to go with it too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

round the world trip

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Long term investment vehicle/pension pot. Thank me in 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c82e80d4e6231752e8ed847

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

KikiLaRue wrote: »

Strangely enough, I have never found that any Irish person who goes "travelling" for an extended period has grown as a person or found themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'll go find myself in a luxurious hotel in some country where the plumbing is A1 and the beggars won't be looking for the change from my €10K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Travel.

Already did a bit of Asia before falling in love with Kuala Lumpur and staying here so need a bit of funds and motivation to go see more.

As for finding yourself in India, all you find is dirt, beggers and how angry a person you can be. Apart from 2 months in Goa, which let's face it isn't really India, I couldn't wait to leave.

The anger stems from how persistent and annoying the people are, pulling you physically into shops, the staring, but what made me most angry was seeing people give their hard earned money as bribes to non-existent god's while their families starved. Beautiful temples but disgusting con job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Witchie wrote: »
    As for finding yourself in India, all you find is dirt, beggers and how angry a person you can be. Apart from 2 months in Goa, which let's face it isn't really India, I couldn't wait to leave.

The anger stems from how persistent and annoying the people are, pulling you physically into shops, the staring, but what made me most angry was seeing people give their hard earned money as bribes to non-existent god's while their families starved. Beautiful temples but disgusting con job.

I take it you are not a big fan of religion so, as most religions encourage big families? As a result, in India, during 1975–2010 the population there doubled to 1.2 billion. According to wiki, the Indian population reached the billion mark in 1998. India is projected to be the world's most populous country by 2024, surpassing the population of China. It is expected to become the first political entity in history to be home to more than 1.5 billion people by 2030, and its population is set to reach 1.7 billion by 2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Strangely enough, I have never found that any Irish person who goes "travelling" for an extended period has grown as a person or found themselves.

You mustn't follow any Irish influencer on Instagram. A lot of them fitness/travel influencers find themselves while travelling and mention it in every second post.

Advertisement