Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best live act you’ve ever seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

lbj666 wrote: »
    Faith No More Olympia 2009 but I am waiting for some old fart to tell me..." nah they we way better at sunstroke in dalymount back in 1891 "

Great gig at the Olympia, I mean MC Hammers sitting room!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ozzy in Mcgonagles in 1991--went to both nights cos the tickets were only 8.00 old pounds.

Both nights were unreal. I've met plenty of people who still consider them to be the best shows they've seen of any genre, myself included.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Metallica in the top hat in 1988.
    I thought Danzig were better :pac: And Megadeth much better a few months before that.

I'm not really a U2 fan (although I've seen them four times) but Zoo TV was amazing in RDS.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Queen at Live Aid were pretty good. They were pretty special at Knebworth the following year (Freddie's last appearance with them) also.

Bowie at Milton Keynes in 1982 was exceptional (head and shoulders above the other 3 or 4 times I've seen him)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Rage Against The Machine. First time at Oxyegen then again in the 3arena. Absolutely sensational! Others would be The Beastie Boys in the RDS in 1995. Faith No More in the Olympia. Rolling Stones at Slane. Oasis at Finsbury Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The Killers have been great on the few occasions I've seen them. Same goes for Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Queen - Slane 1986 even if Roger Taylor thought is was 'pretty hairy'.....
    "That one was pretty hairy, from what I remember," he told the newpaper in 2013.

"I mean really hairy. The size of the crowd was incredible. There was so much mud and drunkenness. Freddie stopped the show at one point. People had been there for hours and dehydrated from drinking. Well, it's rock 'n' roll, isn't it?"

AC/DC - Punchestown 2009. What a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

FLEETWOOD MAC, Dick Gaughan, The pogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Springsteen anywhere....
    But in particular Croke Park 2016 and Camp Nou 2008 come to mind.

But I am a big fan , a good test of a gig is one amazing one you went to - that you weren't that pushed about (the band that is)
    For me it was Depeche Mode - Barcelona 2006 - Absolutely ****ing KICKING gig!!!
    What a show, the guys gave it everything and to see the fans enjoy it was so enjoyable...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

dasdog wrote: »
    Wow...where did you see them?

We moved to England in the mid 1960s. A place called Middlesbrough in the North East. Dad found work in the heavy industry of the area.
    As a 13 year old it was different but with a large Irish community we settled in.
    Anyway getting back to Hawkwind. They played at the Town Hall on their Space Ritual tour. Thank god my parents had no idea what this 'pop' music was about.

The unusual smell, slightly sickly and sweet was the first thing I noticed. Everyone was smoking weed. Then the 6ft 3 inch Stacia, dancing, naked, FFS. I was 13, hormones stirring. Haha.
    The music, lights, strobes, dry ice. It really was something for all the senses.
    Of course the legendary Lemmy on bass. Nik Turner on sax was incredible. My love for jazz started then, no doubt.

I've seen them play many times since but like they always say nothing is better than your first time.

Honourable mentions to Pink Faeries, Can, Amon Duul Steve Hillage and Kraftwerk.

Went to see Aslan by accident one time and have to say it was a fantastic gig.

• Advertisement

Eric Bogle in Wheelens as well, in fact lots can't think of anything I went to see that was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mariaalice wrote: »
    Eric Bogle in Wheelens as well, in fact lots can't think of anything I went to see that was terrible.

When was that? Due to work I was unable to see him in England years ago. Kicking myself ever since.

sligojoek wrote: »
    When was that? Due to work I was unable to see him in England years ago. Kicking myself ever since.

He has played a few times, this was about 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

So difficult to choose, R.E.M on the second night of their 5 in the Olympia 2008, The The in the Point 1990, Kraftwerk in E.P 2005, Orbital in the Olympia 1999, Leonard Cohen in 02 2006, Granddaddy in Vicar Street 2016, Arcade Fire and The Pixies in Malahide 2014 amongst loads I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Rage Against The Machine. First time at Oxyegen then again in the 3arena. Absolutely sensational! Others would be The Beastie Boys in the RDS in 1995. Faith No More in the Olympia. Rolling Stones at Slane. Oasis at Finsbury Park.

Love the Beasties, never seen them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Chemical brothers at electric picnic 2011, fantastic atmosphere and so much fun,
    Arcade Fire in 3 arena 2018 - just adore this band,
    Florence and the Machine at electric picnic about a month before they completely blew up in 2010, it really felt like something special at the time,
    Basement Jaxx at electric picnic 2006 I think it was, had never realised before how many favourites I have from EP!

Wouldn't even list most of those acts as my favourite bands or listen to them that much but all of those gigs it just felt like the band and the crowd were intent on having a brilliant time and it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Simply Red at the Marquee in Cork a few years back. They were completely on point, vocally and musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Was at John Fogerty last year in the three arena... Fantastic atmosphere!

Have seen Kraftwerk 3 times and will hopefully see them again when they're in Ireland next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Sounds laughable and I'm not even a fan but House of Pain at Feile 93

The Prodigy, Bjork and Primal scream were all mind-blowing but House of Pain had the place absolutely rocking ill never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Who at Marley Park, think it was 2007. I thought they'd just go through the motions, but no, they were sublime.

We got The Answer and Biffy Clyro in support.

Best money on a concert ticket I ever spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Metallica 06 for me w/ Alice in Chains supporting.

Metallica played their entire Master of Puppets album in full and Alice had just reformed.

The pit was heaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Metallica 06 for me w/ Alice in Chains supporting.

Metallica played their entire Master of Puppets album in full and Alice had just reformed.

The pit was heaving.

Wish I hadn't missed that. You reminded me of Metallica in The Point Depot.....96 or 97 I think. Corrosion of Conformity supporting. Absolutely cracking gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wish I hadn't missed that. You reminded me of Metallica in The Point Depot.....96 or 97 I think. Corrosion of Conformity supporting. Absolutely cracking gig.

my first metallica gig, great memories, it was 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Nickleback in Slane 2002 were fantastic , (was there for Doves and Ocean Colour Scene) Chad was a brilliant showman. Never listened to them before or since, but great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Jonathan Richman.

Valentine's night, 1999, Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://youtu.be/tba-dbwA6uE

These boys just before the Prodigy took to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

As good as it was I'd have loved to have seen them play indoors in an intimate place like Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As good as it was I'd have loved to have seen them play indoors in an intimate place like Point.

was a nice venue to see them in, but i think i would prefer an even smaller venue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

eamonnq wrote: »
    David Byrne, Dublin Oct 24, 2018

Between that and his show with St. Vincent at Electric Picnic 2013 .. both great gigs

Worth a cheeky clip ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    was a nice venue to see them in, but i think i would prefer an even smaller venue

That was the in-the-round gig wasn't it? Would have preferred a smaller venue myself but with the stage being out in the middle it was probably the perfect venue.

Advertisement