Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An existential pit of despair

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

For how long?

There’s a poem by Shelly about Oxymandius, better known as Ramseses II.

Many of us did it in school. Shelly describes a visitor to a foreign land who sees an inscription on the bust of a ruined statue saying “look on my work ye mighty and despair”. The the poet continues:

“Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away”

This is to mock the man’s hubris.

Nevertheless there’s a poet writing about Oxymandius thousands of years later and here’s me talking about him now. So he’s not dead in the second sense yet.

Moral of the story - if you dont want to be forgotten be a famous monarch full of hubris and build loads of statues.

Oxy-moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Good thread, and not an instagram in sight.

I enjoyed the book L'Etranger. By Camus. Read it again and again. He has nailed it I think.

Life is absurd. Take note now.

My mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

We are rather unremarkable carbon-based life forms clinging to a small rocky planet orbiting a fairly boring star in an unfashionable corner of a perfectly ordinary galaxy which is itself lost in the unfathomable infinity of the Universe.

You can take great joy in that, or deep despair. It's up to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement