Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you report a dole scammer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Leo goes to a conference on creating an inclusive labour market. Instead of contibuting something positive he puts the emphasis on 'spongers'.

The minster was at a conference on creating an inclusive labour market, and criticised work-shy welfare recipients for staying out of the labour market.

How was this not a positive contribution?

He is the social protection minister after all. Genuine social welfare recipients suffer because of this fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have. I had a tenant who was claiming rent allowance of some sort but not giving any of it to me. When I finally got rid of her my then boyfriend called SW to report her.

She was a vicious bitch and deserved it.

What was she giving you then? Was she living rent free?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

100% i would , don't know or have ever known anyone on the dole, so not sure how the situation would arise.

But if someone was claiming the sick illegitimately or choosing to live off welfare and i found out id definitely report it , not what i pay my tax's for get off your lazy arses and get out and work like the rest of us. Leo is spot on.

Do you live in a big mansion in Monaco and never venture outdoors? Bizarre claim to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The Raptor wrote: »
    If she wanted to support her grown boys, she can but not expect others to do it. It wasn't my brothers fault for getting away without paying their share. My mother encouraged it and refused to take money of them. What was so wrong with getting a 450euro per week job and supporting them herself. It was what she was getting on the dole, cash in hand and housekeeping from myself and my sister.

And before someone says that I was trying to get away with a free ride as well, what was wrong with paying because obviously mammy did everything for me. I had to buy my own food and pay up for the bills as my housekeeping. My housekeeping money wasn't for me.

And what's different now? You still have to pay your own bills presumably?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What was she giving you then? Was she living rent free?

People like this get away with not paying rent for months. Had a similar experience myself with a tenant. They used to receive the rent allowance in a cheque, spend it and then not pay the rent. Threatening to report her to the SW was the only way I had to get rid of her. It's different now thank god with the HAP because it's paid directly to the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

pilly wrote: »
    And what's different now? You still have to pay your own bills presumably?

I rent, i pay bills, i buy my own food. All four of us in the houseshare. It's fair. It's not just half of us paying our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's a lot more complicated than that

How so ?

I rent, i pay bills, i buy my own food. All four of us in the houseshare. It's fair. It's not just half of us paying our way.

Yes but a family situation is different. If some aren't working and some are then the ones working pay more than ones who aren't, it's how families work. If your brothers were deciding NOT to go out to work then that was their fault, not your mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How so ?

Libraries have been written about all this so far, what elements would you like to discuss first as its vast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

A close friend of mine is in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction (he went through family trauma which sent him over the edge somewhat) and he had trained as a teacher when he finished school, but he's not in a position to look for work because he's getting his life back together. The social welfare people are on his back all the time demanding that he look for any work at all even though he trained as a teacher.

When people like him, who need help and support, are being hounded like that, the system looks very unfair, to me.

• Advertisement

A close friend of mine is in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction (he went through family trauma which sent him over the edge somewhat) and he had trained as a teacher when he finished school, but he's not in a position to look for work because he's getting his life back together. The social welfare people are on his back all the time demanding that he look for any work at all even though he trained as a teacher.

When people like him, who need help and support, are being hounded like that, the system looks very unfair, to me.

Could he not go on to illness benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People like this get away with not paying rent for months. Had a similar experience myself with a tenant. They used to receive the rent allowance in a cheque, spend it and then not pay the rent. Threatening to report her to the SW was the only way I had to get rid of her. It's different now thank god with the HAP because it's paid directly to the landlord.

That's terrible alright, but I was wondering if the poster was in the same position. Saying the tenant wasn't giving them their rent allowance - does that mean they were getting nothing?

Do you live in a big mansion in Monaco and never venture outdoors? Bizarre claim to make.

no i live in Dublin , i'm form a solidly middle class family and live in a pretty nice are , all my mates either work are traveling or are in college.

I have a small family , in my lifetime 1 uncle was unemployed for about 4 months after the dot com bubble burst and AOL went tits to the wall but he got a huge redundancy payment and a new job after a few weeks so was never on welfare. My other Two Uncles have always run their own business, 1 of my aunts was a teacher for 35 years is retired now , 1 is currently a CFO and 1 was a stay at home mother but again not on the dole and my parents have always worked since before i was born.

I went from school to college to work with virtually no longer than a 3 month gap met my fiance in college ( none of her family are on welfare either) and she did the same as me i.e never out of work.

so i have no family friends or neighbors who claim welfare i don't see how that is totally unbelievable. Pleantly of places in Ireland where this is the norm i would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

On the converse the landlords of this country have their fair share of scroungers. A landlord I lived with as a student pretended he didn't live there, didn't allow letters to come to the house or to register as living there because he didn't pay any tax. Now if I'm honest I wouldn't report him because I have better things to do and he has an elderly dependent but I doubt many of the dole reporters would show the same humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Yes but a family situation is different. If some aren't working and some are then the ones working pay more than ones who aren't, it's how families work. If your brothers were deciding NOT to go out to work then that was their fault, not your mothers.

Where did i say they weren't working in my original post?

At the beginning i said that they drank their wages i.e. they worked. All three of them. At the end and I said that there is one brother currently at home who is unemployed who doesn't have to work. I didn't see why i had to support that carry on. And you shouldn't be saying I should either.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    On the converse the landlords of this country have their fair share of scroungers. A landlord I lived with as a student pretended he didn't live there, didn't allow letters to come to the house or to register as living there because he didn't pay any tax. Now if I'm honest I wouldn't report him because I have better things to do and he has an elderly dependent but I doubt many of the dole reporters would show the same humanity.

I get where you're coming from but this doesn't make sense, if he was trying to avoid tax then he would state that he lived there rather than that he didn't live there because it's more tax friendly if you're still living in the house.

pilly wrote:
    I think that only lasted while he was in rehab. He was in a halfway house and when they finished with him he was given six months on jobseekers allowance. Now he's living with his partner and they're insisting he apply in call centres just to get any work at all. What he should be doing is renewing the teaching certificates and credentials which elapsed but the bureaucracy that goes with that is astonishing so it could take six more months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Depends on the situation really, different degrees to what I find tolerable.

Wouldn't ever report anyone regardless of circumstance. But I've no issue with people who do nixers or who might be getting calls for work sporadically while signing on. Know from my OH the bloated nature of the SW and how being honest in terms of signing off and back on, is just not worth the hassle and turnaround times.

Do have issue with the families or individuals who just live a life on welfare through sheer lazyness or being basically just a scrounging waster. And I think those are the ones worth tackling.

Only experience I've had of it was a foreign family who moved into a house across the road from me where I grew up. Full benefits the works and were incredulous how they didn't even bother trying to hide some lavish spending. A neighbour had enough when he saw a Plasma TV box outside for bin collection. He reported them and while I don't know what specifically happened they were gone from the house pretty shortly after.

I've a family friend who is pretty high up in terms of the department of SW fraud investigations, and it is kinda frightening to hear what goes on, and how long it can be going on.

pilly wrote:
    I think that only lasted while he was in rehab. He was in a halfway house and when they finished with him he was given six months on jobseekers allowance. Now he's living with his partner and they're insisting he apply in call centres just to get any work at all. What he should be doing is renewing the teaching certificates and credentials which elapsed but the bureaucracy that goes with that is astonishing so it could take six more months.

I get where you're coming from but this doesn't make sense, if he was trying to avoid tax then he would state that he lived there rather than that he didn't live there because it's more tax friendly if you're still living in the house.

He wasn't registered with the PRTB at all. He told us he didn't live there when he first moved in and then said it was owner occupied so he could get rid of problem tenants easily.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

steddyeddy wrote:
    I doubt many of the dole reporters would show the same humanity.

People who are willing to speak up and report scammers are the humane ones. They insure our scant resources can be targeted at those who need them as opposed to being hoovered up by unscrupulous crooks.
    They're heroes in fact.

Those aware of wrongdoing who shrug their shoulders and look the other way are just as bad as the scammers. They're enabling criminal behavior and failing in their duty as citizens of this State.
    They should be ashamed of themselves.

Some doctors would write sick notes for longer, depends on the doctor I suppose.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    People who are willing to speak up and report scammers are the humane ones. They insure our scant resources can be targeted at those who need them as opposed to being hoovered up by unscrupulous crooks.
    They're heroes in fact.

Those aware of wrongdoing who shrug their shoulders and look the other way are just as bad as the scammers. They're enabling criminal behavior and failing in their duty as citizens of this State.
    They should be ashamed of themselves.

Nah they're usually complete idiots who are angry at the way their lives have turned out.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    He wasn't registered with the PRTB at all. He told us he didn't live there when he first moved in and then said it was owner occupied so he could get rid of problem tenants easily.

Ah now I get you. Yeah, listen there's good and bad everywhere but my opinion would be if I don't know the full story and someone hadn't done any harm to me then do nothing. Karma and all that.

Ah now I get you. Yeah, listen there's good and bad everywhere but my opinion would be if I don't know the full story and someone hadn't done any harm to me then do nothing. Karma and all that.

Oh sorry I was under the impression you'd report dole fraudsters.

pilly wrote:
    Some doctors would write sick notes for longer, depends on the doctor I suppose.
    Good advice. I might say that to him. I don't think he has a medical card or health insurance but I could give him the money. I really feel for the lad because I'm a substitute teacher (sporadic work but I'm not on JA because my partner and I technically earn enough to stay above the poverty line) and I know how hard finding work is, even with the connections I'm fortunate to have made in the four years since finishing college. He doesn't even have that advantage.

Where did i say they weren't working in my original post?

At the beginning i said that they drank their wages i.e. they worked. All three of them. At the end and I said that there is one brother currently at home who is unemployed who doesn't have to work. I didn't see why i had to support that carry on. And you shouldn't be saying I should either.

Ah well that's a different story altogether if they were working, apologies. No, you don't have to support that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

There's a massive difference between someone working virtually full time and still claiming state benefits, and someone who's out of work but offered a few quid to help out on a one-off job for a day or two.

As someone who has worked all his life, I do sometimes find it frustrating that someone not working can apparently have as much disposable income as me, without having to drag themselves to work 5 days a week.

However, under no circumstances would I ever, ever consider informing on anyone who was claiming benefits whilst working. That's the job of the Social Welfare Inspectors and if there's not enough of them, maybe more should be employed.

I agree with your first two paragraphs but you last para contradicts in part the first! "There's a massive difference between someone working virtually full time and still claiming state benefits, and someone who's out of work but offered a few quid to help out on a one-off job for a day or two."

Correct, a big difference and I'd have no major problem with someone taking on an occasional odd job where they can get it. But if I knew of someone working fairly regularly and claiming, I'd absolutely report that abuse. F**k them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Back in the 90's my parents had 4 kids and were both working, but struggling. They then both lost their jobs within a year and both struggled to find or keep a steady job. So up until my early teens they both were claiming SW most of the time. My dad does some nixer as a painter off the books. Most weeks we would have eggs, beans and some form of spuds for pretty much every meal. We had a TV with only the Irish TV stations. All of our clothes were second hand or hand me downs. The SVdP provided us with our only Christmas present every year. It was tough but we were scraping by. Then someone from their lofty perch reported my dad for the nixers he was doing and he had to pay back I think 2 years of payments. We were well and truly fûcked for a long time after that so no, I would not report anyone on the dole because you don't know their situation.

• Advertisement

Good advice. I might say that to him. I don't think he has a medical card or health insurance but I could give him the money. I really feel for the lad because I'm a substitute teacher (sporadic work but I'm not on JA because my partner and I technically earn enough to stay above the poverty line) and I know how hard finding work is, even with the connections I'm fortunate to have made in the four years since finishing college. He doesn't even have that advantage.

Do because it will give him some breathing space. Doctor will only charge for the 1st cert, after that they have to provide them for free. I wouldn't encourage fraud really but I've always found that the SW do tend to hound people who are only short term on the dole and leave the lifers there without even writing to them. If someone needs time to get back on the feet after drug and alcohol addiction they should get it, it's like any illness.

steddyeddy wrote:
    Nah they're usually complete idiots who are angry at the way their lives have turned out.

How do you know?
    How many have you met?

Never reported anyone myself, don't really know any dole-heads, but fair fcuks to anyone who reports a scammer.

MeatTwoVeg wrote:
    Never reported anyone myself, don't really know any dole-heads, but fair fcuks to anyone who reports a scammer.
    Look at the big ivory tower on Brad.

How do you know?
    How many have you met?

When I was a PhD I knew a student who was reported by someone on a technicality. When I grew up poor I knew some people reported for the odd nixer. Now I'm on a very good wage and have plenty of disposable income and for the life of me I don't know how someone who is happy with their lot could actually be that bitter towards someone else.

steddyeddy wrote:
    When I was a PhD I knew a student who was reported by someone on a technicality. When I grew up poor I knew some people reported for the odd nixer. Now I'm on a very good wage and have plenty of disposable income and for the life of me I don't know how someone who is happy with their lot could actually be that bitter towards someone else.

What's bitterness got to do with it?

It's your civic duty to report abuse of the SW system to ensure that resources are in place for those who actually need them.
    You don't have to take any pleasure in it.

MeatTwoVeg wrote:
    It's your civic duty to report abuse of the SW system to ensure that resources are in place for those who actually need them. You don't have to take any pleasure in it.
    People earning a couple of quid extra to support themselves and their families is putting that much of a strain on a system which can afford to pay well over 100 layabout TDs 100k/annum?

I'm thinking it's my civic duty to report a couple of local representatives for defrauding the social welfare system. I didn't bloody vote those charlatans in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Foxhound38 wrote:
    Unless it's about abolishing the USC (which is a tax on productivity), I have no interest in joining the crusty brigade. Generally the fact that they hold their protests at a time when I'm most likely working hard is something of a contributing factor, as is the fact that I once missed a flight because they decided to block traffic by sitting in front of cars in O'Connell Street during rush hour - another thing that makes me suspect that many of them have never worked a hard days graft in their lives.

I didn't ask for you to snuggle up with the "crusty brigade" I just pointed out that alot of people would rather rat on someone and make no difference at all to the system but will happily bend over and let Enda and Co have their wicked way with you and be happy about it instead of actually doing something to highlight that the system is fecked and that something should be done about it.
    They are ignoring that the system is in turmoil and raping our wages to fill bankers pockets.
    I don't think you get my point and I doubt it that you will.
    But if that's how you like it then keep ratting Mr snitchy mcratt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Foxhound38 wrote:
    Unless it's about abolishing the USC (which is a tax on productivity), I have no interest in joining the crusty brigade. Generally the fact that they hold their protests at a time when I'm most likely working hard is something of a contributing factor, as is the fact that I once missed a flight because they decided to block traffic by sitting in front of cars in O'Connell Street during rush hour - another thing that makes me suspect that many of them have never worked a hard days graft in their lives.

I didn't ask for you to snuggle up with the "crusty brigade" I just pointed out that alot of people would rather rat on someone and make no difference at all to the system but will happily bend over and let Enda and Co have their wicked way with you and be happy about it instead of actually doing something to highlight that the system is fecked and that something should be done about it.
    They are ignoring that the system is in turmoil and raping our wages to fill bankers pockets.
    I don't think you get my point and I doubt it that you will.
    But if that's how you like it then keep ratting Mr snitchy mcratt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jodotman wrote: »
    From free money. I wouldn't class it as rent. Are they paying 1100 a month for somewhere decent to live?

it doesn't matter what you class it as, the fact is it is rent. once you are paying to live somewhere, which council tenants are, they are paying rent. how does someone paying 1100 a month mean they are paying rent, but someone paying 400 a month for example mean they aren't. it's nonsense.
    Jodotman wrote: »
    Father fecked off? Well thats the womens fault. Have a stable income before having kids.

maybe they did have a stable income. the relationship was a long term relationship, but the breakup for whatever reason was bad, or maybe the father decided to leave and not take responsibility for the children to get at the mother or some other "reason"
    how is that the mother's fault.
    look, i know nice snappy quick easy to digest little soundbites and generalisations about people make you feel better about yourself, but they mean nothing and you won't have a jot of evidence for any of it. stop thinking everyone is out to screw you, it's reds under the bed nonsense. they're are some abusing the system and they need to be dealt with, but most aren't.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

People earning a couple of quid extra to support themselves and their families is putting that much of a strain on a system which can afford to pay well over 100 layabout TDs 100k/annum?

What has any of this got to do with the TD's?

Nobody is talking about someone doing a nixer for a few extra 10ers. The issue here is people earning a €400 - €500 a week tax free cash in hand over a long period, and claiming €188 social at the same time. That's €588 - €688 weekly, tax free - fcuk them, it's taking the piss out of all of us who earn a living honestly, and it's taking the piss out of genuine cases.

Worse yet, it actively makes it harder for the honest Joe Soap, because the person claiming while working has their everyday needs taken care of through SW, rent allowance etc and can therefore undercut the honest Joe in their cash-in-hand work. THAT is a strain on the system.

Maybe you should start a thread about TD salaries.
    I fail to see its relevance to the current discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lyza

LirW wrote:
    But I have to admit I reported someone in my country of origin before. A person I know giving out constantly IRL and on FB how everything is unfair, the system is against him, he is stigmatised and so on. Background to that is: Unemployed for a good few years by now, considers himself as a cannabis activist (I do understand it helps some people medically and I simply don't care when someone has the need for the most suitable kind of medication) but is the kind of "activist" using that as an excuse to just smoke legally, permanently giving out about how expensive his medication is and he has to buy off shady dealers in the local park because nobody pays his medication. Lost his license because he was driving in Bavaria after smoking some joints, got pulled over and was tested (the amount found was quite high). As someone involved in an accident due to intoxicated driving I don't take something like that lightly. However now he wants to get his license back, complains about how the system is permanently working against him and how corrupt the doctors, psychologists, basically everyone is, he has to pay everything on his own (lives off welfare) and has nothing to eat because of that. Boo hoo.

Tasden wrote:
    Just in case anybody is put off taking up temp work by this post, you can actually inform your social welfare office that the work is temporary and they will suspend your payment rather than close it. So once the contract is finished you don't have to re apply you just go back in and they start it back up again fairly quickly. Especially around Christmas time, I think they allow something like 12 weeks before the claim is closed as they know that Christmas contracts are only short term.

Don't get me started on that , I tried doing that before and it was too much hassle . I used to get casual work now and again while I was on the dole but every time I told the sw I ended up with no money for 2 /3 weeks when the work finished. The people in the office don't seem to know what they are doing . Every time you go in they all tell you something different, then they say it is all fixed up and you will have your money next week. Next week comes no money, back to s/ w office meet someone else start all over again , all fixed up get money next week , next week comes money not there back to s/w office meet someone else, no idea why money didn't come start all over again. All the while bills need paying ie. Money for electric meter and food needs to be bought. When the same thing happened the next time I got a couple of weeks work I just gave up the work after that. People on the dole don't have savings to tide them over while the people in the s/w office try to figure out what they are supposed to be doing .

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lyza

LirW wrote:
    But I have to admit I reported someone in my country of origin before. A person I know giving out constantly IRL and on FB how everything is unfair, the system is against him, he is stigmatised and so on. Background to that is: Unemployed for a good few years by now, considers himself as a cannabis activist (I do understand it helps some people medically and I simply don't care when someone has the need for the most suitable kind of medication) but is the kind of "activist" using that as an excuse to just smoke legally, permanently giving out about how expensive his medication is and he has to buy off shady dealers in the local park because nobody pays his medication. Lost his license because he was driving in Bavaria after smoking some joints, got pulled over and was tested (the amount found was quite high). As someone involved in an accident due to intoxicated driving I don't take something like that lightly. However now he wants to get his license back, complains about how the system is permanently working against him and how corrupt the doctors, psychologists, basically everyone is, he has to pay everything on his own (lives off welfare) and has nothing to eat because of that. Boo hoo.

Tasden wrote:
    Just in case anybody is put off taking up temp work by this post, you can actually inform your social welfare office that the work is temporary and they will suspend your payment rather than close it. So once the contract is finished you don't have to re apply you just go back in and they start it back up again fairly quickly. Especially around Christmas time, I think they allow something like 12 weeks before the claim is closed as they know that Christmas contracts are only short term.

Don't get me started on that , I tried doing that before and it was too much hassle . I used to get casual work now and again while I was on the dole but every time I told the sw I ended up with no money for 2 /3 weeks when the work finished. The people in the office don't seem to know what they are doing . Every time you go in they all tell you something different, then they say it is all fixed up and you will have your money next week. Next week comes no money, back to s/ w office meet someone else start all over again , all fixed up get money next week , next week comes money not there back to s/w office meet someone else, no idea why money didn't come start all over again. All the while bills need paying ie. Money for electric meter and food needs to be bought. When the same thing happened the next time I got a couple of weeks work I just gave up the work after that. People on the dole don't have savings to tide them over while the people in the s/w office try to figure out what they are supposed to be doing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What's bitterness got to do with it?

It's your civic duty to report abuse of the SW system to ensure that resources are in place for those who actually need them.
    You don't have to take any pleasure in it.

wrong, it isn't your duty at all. it's the duty of the government to employ enough resources to investigate and insure abuse isn't happening. that's what i pay taxes for, and very high ones as well.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

idnkph wrote: »
    I'm amazed that people would have no problem ratting on people taking advantage of a system that doesn't work.
    Reporting people will not fix the system.

So it's ok to take advantage of state systems that don't work?

If the state policing was a "system that doesn't work" (e.g. Gardai went on strike), it'd be ok to hold up a bookies? Or if somebody did, it would be wrong to report them?

Corruption and crime, major or minor, are wrong. If your concern is people getting hammered for minor infractions, then the solution is to look for the sanctions to be reduced. Fix the "system that doesn't work" (in this case the sanctions applied for the crime).

Maybe you should start a thread about TD salaries.
    I fail to see its relevance to the current discussion.

all of your points so far have been excellent , 100% its absolutely you're civic duty to report dole scammers.

TD's pay substantial tax , the same way all of us in the top top tax brackets do, they are not just leaches on the system, like the dole frads.

such a lazy ill thought out argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This topic comes up regularly and to be honest, I find it fascinating. Welfare fraud and tax evasion cost the state millions each year which could be put towards other uses. Whether those uses are justified is another matter. The posts here saying sure it's just a small bit, an odd nixer here and there are only thinking of the individual(s) they know of. It's a cumulative affect. All of those little bits add up to the millions reported.

We are all part of this society and there are rules and regulations to follow for the equitable treatment of all. Having a suspicion of welfare fraud or tax evasion and reporting it, doesn't mean that it is actually happening. All you are doing is providing the relevant authorities information which can be added to their existing knowledge base and may or may not lead to anything after its been investigated. There are limited numbers of Revenue and Welfare staff, so unless they get assistance like the Gardai do, combating fraud and evasion will be harder and less effective.

Yes there are problems everywhere in this society of ours but give the authorities at least some help in dealing with these specific issues regardless of your feelings on bank bailouts, tax rates, Apple etc. You are contributing to helping make the society more equitable. Keep raising all the other issues you see wrong with the society you live in with your local politicians and eventually they may get addressed. At least try.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/shadow-economy/reporting.html

animaal wrote: »
    So it's ok to take advantage of state systems that don't work?

If the state policing was a "system that doesn't work" (e.g. Gardai went on strike), it'd be ok to hold up a bookies? Or if somebody did, it would be wrong to report them?

Corruption and crime, major or minor, are wrong. If your concern is people getting hammered for minor infractions, then the solution is to look for the sanctions to be reduced. Fix the "system that doesn't work" (in this case the sanctions applied for the crime).

It's human nature to take advantage of any system that doesn't work. If all your tax wasn't taken straight from your pay would you calculate it fairly and pay it on time? Probably not, that's why the deduction at source is a system that does work. The social welfare system doesn't work because it encourages long timers while short timers struggle badly.

wrong, it isn't your duty at all. it's the duty of the government to employ enough resources to investigate and insure abuse isn't happening. that's what i pay taxes for, and very high ones as well.

Wrong.
    Your point is wrong.
    It's actually the opposite of what you said.
    Incorrect.
    You're wrong.

Does anyone on Boards actually bother arguing with this guy?

Wrong.
    Your point is wrong.
    It's actually the opposite of what you said.
    Incorrect.
    You're wrong.

Does anyone on Boards actually bother arguing with this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What I find interesting is the huge amount of interest in this, look at the replies and views of this thread, why are individual so interested in this as opposed to the hundreds of other issue in Irish society that need be discussed? why do individual want to believe it is wide spread despite as one poster pointing out that reporting is often at the level of the green ink and crayons. Welfare have pointed out themselves that reports they receive are often not aware of the full fact and can be inaccurate, yet almost every one replying to thread seem to know someone scamming the systme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement