Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hows our driving?

• 23-06-2000 12:38am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hobbes raises some interesting points over on the Humanities board about communities and discussion boards etc.

I'd like to elicit feedback from the rest of the community to see, How is Boards.ie doing in your view?

Too many forums? Too impersonal?
    Or are we bang on the money and you couldnt do without your daily dose of boards?

We need to increase the size of the community a little I think and we are reorganising the front page (all reports from those that have seen it say YES just what we have been after, which is nice smile.gif )

We're thinking of really expanding the site a bit with some interesting ideas but its a while off yet.

Me? I like it, I like the little niches we have going like the books area and the music people, the tech crowd and a humour weirdos smile.gif

Its funny to see us gamers actually building a community where the likes of Local and CuplaFocal have thrown millions at it and failed (imho).

What can we do better tho?

DeV.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

More dynamicly displayed, FreaK Bruther GFX on the home page, damnnit!!!

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Well there is almost twenty new posters on the Half-Life boards now. After a brief stint with TV discussion , the film boards are pretty much the way they usually are. I for one have seen a lot of growth in the short time since I became a regular here around the beginning or March. Its funny to think how much has happened since then smile.gif I do not see a great need for expansion. Make this place too well known and you will have a slighlty more difficult job of moderating the place obviously. Ah what do I know. you veteran regulars handle this one smile.gif

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Scince the humour boards have been set up, After hours has been almost dead frown.gif

From what i can remember from when i was mod of the original humour board,

the humor, films, books, and music boards were all merged to make after hours, but now scince they all have their own boards again, very few people visit afterhours any more which I think is a shame, Im biased of course but thats just how i feel about it

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 23-06-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

YOU can't do anything to make them more popular. How popular a board is never seems to reflect how good IT is. I've seen this happen loads of times with other boards - people act like a flock of birds. They find something new and interesting and flock to it en-mass. Then inevitably it becomes old and stale and people leave to find a new source.

I think Boards.ie will always be here and always have a community of regular posters, but it's popularity will always wane and flow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'd like to say a big "Nice one" to all the people that have organised the boards.

You would not believe how much they have held my slight bit of sanity intact over the past months that I've been here in Germany, handy to have laughs and keep in touch with people.

Some of the boards, Humanities, Books, etc have often rather interesting topics that generate discussions of an intellectual nature....whilst other times it's just a good laugh.

Nice One again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sections on the main home page could do with being kept up to date... Weird World Web, Soap-Box, Post of the Month, Live-Chat - they're all empty at the time of writing- and the Top 5's could be changed every so often...

apart from that... super.

Bard

home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I am guesing is datebase driven and someone can change it from a web page, so you can set some one to find the 5 top werid pages a month as i am guess you and Regi are too busy to run everthing on the boards, this would mean that it could be updated will new and weird stuff.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hehe pretty much bang on Coyote smile.gif

The new front page (coming REAL SOON NOW) retains freaks ridiculously good artwork but reorganises everything a little better.
    Plus we have cut out or cut down some of the areas that were going to need a lot of maintenance.

I dont think we'd expand in terms of more boards but maybe in other interesting ways.
    The only other boards I think you will see will be very specific topic boards.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, I think it's a shambles!!! I'm spending far too much time on these fúckin' boards and getting damn all work done!
    I'm gonna sue Spin Solutions and Cloud Internet as a result!

Lads - I've gotta say, the site rocks - I need a fix nearly every 30 seconds wink.gif

What could be changed...
    The front pages (as they are) don't reflect the colour scheme for the bulletin boards). But, as you said above, you've got a new front page coming, so that's OK

Also as someone mentioned above, the little features you've got on that front page that don't really have any content behind them.

I think all the forums are relevant and some really good topical debates are had as well as the numerous good laughs! Let's try to keep it that way!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

One point - After Hours is a bit dead now, and people clicking through straight to this board from the frontpage might be dissuaded from going any further by the quietness of the AH board... Indeed, they might not realise that a myriad of other boards lurk under the After Hours drop down menu... Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The power of words.

After Hours is probably dead because people don't know what the board is for.

Change the name and they will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

And for gods-sake, what ever you do, don't call it the "General Discussion Board"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Shinji, we've been thinking similar thoughts, those changes are the main ones in the new front page.

The site evolves, we makes mistakes and discard them and keep the bits that work.

DeVore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How about integrating that boards IRC server into some IRC network (Quakenet anyone?) ... since its a bit dead as it is tbh.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress
    - -SK- Clan site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yep good idea...
    How about a HTML based IRC client using Barrysword or B0rk.uk, on port 8080.
    Just so people can slack off in work, using non-Java enabled web browsers, behind tight-ass firewalls.
    smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

/me points and laughs at the master gardener himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

/me joins in with the laughing smile.gif

Bloody nature people.

john

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

/me gets a monkey puzzle (Araucaria araucana) in each hand, polishes them up real good....turns them son bítches sideways...
    and smacks them up you're candy asses...

Gardeners do it outside...

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

[This message has been edited by Licksy20 (edited 24-06-2000).]

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

We need to increase the size of the community

What you need is a gardening forum....

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Boards.ie with its owns Jerry Daly.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Hmm i can see that now.....

"the Gardening general discussions board"

eh actually no I cant biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Hobbes is right (of course) about the after hours board.
    People dont know what its for.
    My opinion anyway. What do do? Je ne sais pas. Make it a travel\multicultural\food\whoknowswhatelse board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

puzzles board smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

i know......

click here for after hours:

"Wyverns Spam Site"

teeheeeheeeee ermm......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my only complaint is that theres no more muppetry on the quake board. its gone really boring.
    ffs, theres not even interesting topics there anymore frown.gif

i do think that a browser irc thingy would be good, as lots of people cant get onto irc during the day, and at least we could keep in contact with a few people during the day in the 2 seconds free time we have.
    no one ever seems to use the one on these oards here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yes a chat thingy that can be accessed behind firewalls would be a nice extra.

One that I use sometimes is at chat.wpe.com

..possibly integrate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

also a very small thing that doesn't really matter is the forwarding "thank you for posting" page. On the IR boards for example http://pub14.ezboard.com/birclanboards that page doesn't exist, and it is less annoying, because you don't have to count the number of times you press your back button on the browser when returning to the page you were at before you visited the boards in order to avoid double posting. Its probably there for a reason though, but i thought i'd just say that it annoys me smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

awww poor baby.

Dev the boards rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

This place is cool. Its the only place on the net where i would think to have discussions and the like. Yes, indeed it does rock here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement