Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCreevy warns publicans

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Spotted Al - thanks for that!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Nice one...... does that mean free beer in the publicans aren´t nice to us? No. Ah for **** sake mother****ing piece of monkey spunk. Oh well, beer is cheaop in Kilkenny compared to Dublin.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Thats complete B0ll0x i work in a pub and with the cost of a keg guess how much of it goes to the goverment???? 50% i meen 50 fukken % (thats what i was told and not by the publician by the bar manager)the publician gets about 25% profit a keg which is high alright but the goverment are just acting the b0ll0x and there trying to cover up there own greed by blaming publicains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Did you see the article in the Indo, maybe 3 weeks ago, where they broke down the price for a couple of different drinks.

They reckon that on a £4.20 Red Bull & vodka, that profit is over £2.80 (might have been £3.05 cant remember).

That's profit as in after COG before taxes afaik.

Al.

Pure profit as in like PURE after costs taxs and tax on a vodka red bull (in the bar i work in £4.50) id know its close to under £1 which does work out as about 20%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

Did you see that publican they interviewed last night? Moaning about how publicans might make 2.85 gross on a drink but they only take home about 13p.

My ass! They drive home in BMWs and Mercedes on 13p a pint!

He was moaning that out of that 2.85 he has to pay the goverment, his staff, insurance, other overheads as well as the brewery and the truck driver!

**** me I thought the brewery would have paid the truck driver!

Who's he kidding? Remember that 2.85 is GROSS profit so the brewery was already paid. I don't remember much of my accounting but isn't tax paid before you calculate gross profit too? Even if the goverment takes 1.40 he probably spends less than 40p of that on staff, insurance and other overheads. Don't kid yourself - he's taking home plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Take it:
    Pure profit as in like PURE after costs taxs and tax on a vodka red bull (in the bar i work in £4.50) id know its close to under £1 which does work out as about 20%

Hmm, I think, Take it, that you're in the wrong place if you think ppl here are going to show sympathy for bar owners...

For one think, most here are >18 and < 25, so ppl who drink lots & have **** all money. You've picked the wrong site.

Besides, wtf are you on about? These guys are raking in a fúcking fortune!!

Al.

I know myself I’m 19, so what are you saying I cant have a discussion and should just fukk off I’m telling the truth here and if people don’t want to listen and want to believe the $hite there being feed well that’s there own fault and ignorance.

If so much money is to be made then go buy a fukken pub. YES the managers make money but so does every manager of most businesses and a politician make more money on a pint then the publican why not give them a b0lliking. But what sickens me the most is IT’S THE FUKKEN GOVERMENT RIPPING the students and young people off and blaming it on others and what do the young people/students do they fukken agree and are being feed a load of $hite from the media and government.

The governments seen a problem as in "drinks to expensive" what do they do as its there fault its so high????? Blame someone else and then idiots believe them. Why not take up the issue of the price of cigarettes??? Because everybody EVERYBODY knows the government are doing the ripping off there.

And what ****es me off most is the government say right budgets up put 5p on drink then the publican says right 5p on drink then the barmen are serving the drink and customers take up the issue with the barmen????? Barmen like a drink as much and as low as any other human and have nothing to do with the price increase but still get a lots of abuse for it.

13p a pint is a fukken lot of money 13p e.g a night lets say they sell 1000 pints thats £130 a NIGHT which is nearly £900 a week. Yes they make money but not as much as the goverment lead you to believe and yes thats enough to let you drive a merc. If the publicain said ok ill try decrease the price of a pint the most they could do it by and make a living is probably 10p would you be happy with a 10p decrease but if the goverment lowered taxs there could be a decrease of WELL over a £1 which do you prefair?????

Publicians really have no power in the price of the pint thats a fact and if you dont believe it well fair enough go and believe the $hit you are being feed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was gonna post something, but now I forget...
    Oh, hang on, I remember now.

I worked in a hotel and the bar took in 3 to 5 times more income than the hotel / resturant / functions combined.

A bar makes money and lots of it. Maybe it is that the Government is giving it up the a$$ to publicans, but they do make a fair whack of money!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Explain to me why this is:
    In Dublin, a pint of guinness is £2.40 - £2.50.
    In Galway a pint of guinness is £2 - £2.10.

I know there is a difference is running costs, but 40p difference on a pinbt? Come on. Dublin pubs are ripping us off.

Draco

• Advertisement

Galway is a HOLE. Ah No seriously I cant see the reason. *******s the lot of them. In Kilkenny a Pint of Guinness Was 2.10 then went up to 2.20, Same For Ale. Bulmers and that is around 2.50. I drink Ale so its cheap enough.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

While I've been too long away to work on the prices. I do know when I was there that a local club which was licenesed to serve drinks (publican license) sold thier stuff at a hell of a lot cheaper then the prices in town and still made a profit.
    "The Exchequer take from the price of a pint has gone down as a percentage each year because the Exchequer hasn't been increasing its take, but the publicans have been increasing their margins," he said. "One way of putting manners on everybody there would be to increase the number of licences in the country and that is something the Government will have to face up to in the future."

So someone is lying? Who is it?

As for rasing prices on cigerettes. That is for a totally different reason. They kill people. We could debate drink kills people as well (1 in 4 deaths in America are smoking related), but when the goverment have to cough up (no pun intended) to pay for hospital costs you can see where that money is going.

The most easy thing to do is to just drink at home until say the last hour then go to the bar. You'll see them dropping prices pretty dam quick after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

I've nothing but sympathy for barmen and people behind counters in general. Everytime there's a price increase every moronic twat thinks it's their right to demand an explanation of you (as if it's your fault), argue with you (as if you can change it) and get angry with you (as if you're the greedy ******* who's counting the money while someone else deals with them). Nothing ****es me off more than alcoholics complaining about the price of drink.

I think we can all agree that the goverment are a bunch of money hungry *******s but just about every publican I know drives a luxury car. The only one I know that dosn't owns 3 houses. They make plenty of money too.

I heard today that the price of the pint is going down 30p to help stop inflation. IE a pint of ale will cost 1.90 NICE ONE MY SON...... If it ever happens

John

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Originally posted by Lump:
    I heard today that the price of the pint is going down 30p to help stop inflation. IE a pint of ale will cost 1.90 NICE ONE MY SON...... If it ever happens...

And what do people do when they find cheap beer...?

Yep...they drink loads more...

Like I remember being in college with this guy...and he'd always go out every evening for 1 or 2 pints...but if he came across a promotion, maybe £1 a pint or something, he'd drink 20 of em... biggrin.gif

An as for mark-up...the clearcut items are the mixers and bottled water and stuff...
    300% on some of these guys...and you can't blame duty - vat etc. on the price of water.

A standard retail markup is usually 50%..
    Something costs £1 excluding vat, you sell it for £1.50 excluding vat or like £1.85 inc. 21% vat.
    But 300% on items that are relatively un-perishable is just greed...

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the issue here, which is one you are missing, is that the government has NOT raised the tax on drink in quite some time, yet the publicans keep pushing up the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NiSh

I don't no what ye all are going on bout. How come when ye go into a coffee shop and pay a £1 for a cup of coffee that cost about £0.06 to make ye don't complain about it.
    And there ye go bashing publicans who are only making a good living from all ye drunken F****** who don't even have 2 drink the stuff. ye are all a pack of F****** moaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Compare the price of a coffee in a pub to a coffee shop. And why does a little bottle of orange juice cost £1.90 in a kip like the Temple Bar?

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 22-06-2000).]

Advertisement