Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Alan Partridge sings IRA ballad live on BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere here already but i'm in absolute tears laughing :D Why'd they keep it on air? :D

https://twitter.com/gibbogibby1/status/1107765353889910784

oh jaysus:pac:

I'd love to know how many complaints the BBC received after that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Didn't know the BBC did a BBC+1 day thing.

Most of us watched it on Monday night. But what is more funny is that there are idiots that think this is A REAL SHOW!!

prinzeugen wrote: »

Most of us watched it on Monday night. But what is more funny is that there are idiots that think this is A REAL SHOW!!

Well I don't watch much tv, this thread is the first I've seen of it! Seen the BBC logo on the top corner so presumed it was on BBC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well I don't watch much tv, this thread is the first I've seen of it! Seen the BBC logo on the top corner so presumed it was on BBC!

Well clue in the name for starters. Alan Partridge...... Not Steve Coogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

prinzeugen wrote: »

I never seen the show before. Picked it up on Twitter. Was it on the BBC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Horrible stereotyping, we all know ders more to Oirland dan dis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The fact that the person who was singing and the presenter are the same person didn’t seem suspicious to the people who thought it was real?

Real or not the fact it was on tv at all is quite remarkable. I think it's hilarious. How he even got away with that I don't know.

I'd say it's flustered some though!

Real or not the fact it was on tv at all is quite remarkable. I think it's hilarious. How he even got away with that I don't know.

You have clearly never watched any of his stuff before.
    Go and spend a few hours watching him and then you will realise this is actually kinda tame

What do you mean got away with it? It’s a fake comedy show. It’s a joke. It’s not as if he was singing ooh ah up the rah on this morning with Philip schofield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Oh Sunday bloody Sunday

Oh Sunday bloody Sunday

What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Ipso wrote: »
    Horrible stereotyping, we all know ders more to Oirland dan dis.

What's de big oidea?

joeguevara wrote: »
    The fact that the person who was singing and the presenter are the same person didn’t seem suspicious to the people who thought it was real?

Yeah, I thought it was Alan partridge playing both. I knew it was a pisstake comedy. Couldn't believe it was played on BBC tv. Must a got loads of complaints.

Yeah, I thought it was Alan partridge playing both. I knew it was a pisstake comedy. Couldn't believe it was played on BBC tv. Must a got loads of complaints.

It was just before the 10 o'clock news :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Jaysizzzzzz he nailed that.....
    Typical Irish rugby fan in a pub in uk lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Brasseye will blow your mind op.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hobosan wrote: »

And another. I was disappointed by the new Coogan version or Partridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72BrqGNvaT0

You still don't get it do you?
    Alan Partridge is a fictional character
    Steve Coogan plays both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You can be a bit of an odd one sometimes.

What do you mean 'got away with it'? It's a tongue in cheek comedy show.

Or is it simply that any mention of the IRA deeply upsets your sensibilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

He had the south Sligo accent nailed to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It wasn't live. Filmed months ago. It's a spoof. Relax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

It's part of our culture, just because a small minority of Irish were bloodthirsty terrorists doesn't mean we all are, don't spread hate & Irishphobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What am I missing that a) people though this blatantly obviously comedy show was real and b) are acting like he mocked Mohammad on Saudi State TV. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Martin Brennan is a fantastic character. Great stuff, Coogan! :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The funniest part is the MI agent beside him enjoying the tune til IRA is mentioned. My sides were splitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What am I missing that a) people though this blatantly obviously comedy show was real and b) are acting like he mocked Mohammad on Saudi State TV. :confused:
    The crap daytime magazine shows/ evening chat shows we produce here that make Partridge look like the height if sophisticate presenting. If you've only ever watched our homegrown drivel it wouldn't occur to you that Partridge is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Partridge is comedy’s greatest creation. A fictional national treasure.

• Advertisement

The funniest part is the MI agent beside him enjoying the tune til IRA is mentioned. My sides were splitting
    Do you mean "Double O feckin bollox "?

The English can have Partridge for their national treasure if Coogan gives us Brennan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can he be a national treasure in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

coogan is a genius.
    he nailed that character, the look, the accent.
    spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Please don't watch this

or this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are any of you aware that 90% of the British people won't know who the black and tans are and found it funny just like us... Ffs we're the small country beside them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are any of you aware that 90% of the British people won't know who the black and tans are and found it funny just like us... Ffs we're the small country beside them

It's just not on their education curriculum at all.

Sure Churchill and Cromwell are seen as heroes in the UK but have very poor reputations here.

Look at the ignorance of Ireland over the border issues with Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

murpho999 wrote: »
    Cromwell are seen as heroes in the UK but have very poor reputations here.

Which is odd in itself since he killed so many royalists.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's just not on their education curriculum at all.

Sure Churchill and Cromwell are seen as heroes in the UK but have very poor reputations here.

Look at the ignorance of Ireland over the border issues with Brexit.

There was a lot of recent social media apologies from English people after Black47 film.

They had no idea about the famine, and their part in it.

That was most likely the point behind the pure devilment of the character imposing his sing song on Partridge. Coogan was taking the piss out of English attitudes to the Irish. They think they've got a simple Paddy on their hands and patronise accordingly. In response he amps it up for them in buckets, all the while enjoying the fact that he's getting a rise, but never lets on. "Who da hell is DAT? " ×3. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sardonicat wrote: »
    That was most likely the point behind the pure devilment of the character imposing his sing song on Partridge. Coogan was taking the piss out of English attitudes to the Irish. They think they've got a simple Paddy on their hands and patronise accordingly. In response he amps it up for them in buckets, all the while enjoying the fact that he's getting a rise, but never lets on. "Who da hell is DAT? " ×3. !

"ha ha! ... Oh, did I say it with a 'h' again?"

"Aitch!"
    "Yes, haych"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't think a lot of people on Boards get the idea or humor of Alan Partridge

Similar to Dave Allen nothing is sacred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That Sligo guy really looked like Alan, though he had different teeth.

I don’t really see Alan partridge as a very good interviewer though, although people rave about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I suppose he is better than Turbidy or Ray D’Arcy.

That Sligo guy really looked like Alan, though he had different teeth.

I don’t really see Alan partridge as a very good interviewer though, although people rave about him.
    I suppose he is better than Turbidy or Ray D’Arcy.

You do realise he's not a real person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Sure didn't partridge have his first BBC chat show cancelled because he accidentally shot someone.

Sure didn't partridge have his first BBC chat show cancelled because he accidentally shot someone.

I really don't know if people are being serious when they post some comments.

Maybe they're out Cooganing Coogan and we're being had.

I love the way there is still comedians out there willing to push the boundaries. The irony in this is that BBC have become this 'woke', PC, diversity obsessed, broadcaster so its strange that they sanctioned it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement