Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incorrect bill in Restaurant, say something?

• 19-03-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

Ate lunch in a cafe earlier and there was an item missing off the bill which was €5.

What would you do in these situations, own up or say nothing and pay what they ask you For?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd say if I noticed but I'd rarely check a bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

For a fiver I'd definitely own up and say "did you not take for the coffee?" or whatever. For the sake of a fiver that I genuinely owed I'd hate for someone to thing I was a thief or stinge etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"If you see something, say something"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Has happened me plenty of times and I always say something. I'd do it if they had an extra charge on the bill and I don't see why the reverse shouldn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Has happened me plenty of times and I always say something. I'd do it if they had an extra charge on the bill and I don't see why the reverse shouldn't apply.

That's my approach too. I'll hunt you down if you owe me and I'll go to the same length to ensure you'll get yours. Easy sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

biko wrote: »

Ahhhh, the Anti-IRA approach! :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Often the waiter has to settle out of their own pocket for mistakes. I think folk should be sound and be honest about things.

Also, A saying I use regularly, is that you really can judge a persons true colors by how they treat waiting staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Gael23 wrote: »
    Ate lunch in a cafe earlier and there was an item missing off the bill which was €5.

What would you do in these situations, own up or say nothing and pay what they ask you For?

This happened me a while back and I didn't realise it was the waiter's attempt at flirting with me to knock the dessert off.

Was quite awkward when I realised what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd do it if they had an extra charge on the bill and I don't see why the reverse shouldn't apply.

That would be my approach to it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d point out the omission. It’s the right thing to do and I would hate a staff member’s pay to be docked over it.

Once, getting a bus to Galway from my hometown as a young teenager, the bus driver gave me back an extra tenner in my change by mistake. Being broke, I took it and then crowed later to my mother about how great it was. She ATE me. She made me a send the tenner back to the origin station of the bus with a note explaining what happened. She said at that time that the driver could have had that docked from his pay. I know now that that was unlikely but she just wanted to make a point, to get me to think about the consequences of my actions. Lesson learned. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I am an honest person, so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It depends.

If a few items were missing on a large bill of say nothing.

However if its a blatent mistake then I'd probably say something.

I was handed a £50 bill for what should have been £300, I mentioned it then because it was obviously incorrect after a 3 course meal for a group and could get someone fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Of course. Everyone makes mistakes, I'd hope they'd do the same for me if I accidentally gave too much money so it's only fair for me to do it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

biko wrote: »

"hey, nice tits!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People who think under payment results in staff having pay docked are incorrect. It is illegal and doesn't happen. It may have happened in the past or some manager may say it but it is now against employment law.
    Worked in a bar and the manager went to empty my tip jar because the till was down. 6 different people worked on the till and decided I should pay. Pointed out he would have to prove I was at fault and show where it said I paid short falls in my contract. That was 20 years ago so it isn't like this is something new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I normally say it because I would worry that the waiting staff would end up paying for the shortfall out of their wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

whiskeyman wrote: »
    "hey, nice tits!"

Stop objectifying biko.

Besides, his tits are only average.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I always do. Unless I felt disrespected, in which case I decide not to do their job for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Most cafes have enormous overheads and very tight margins, I would definitely own up to that kind of amount. It's the difference between a profit and a loss for a meal.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    People who think under payment results in staff having pay docked are incorrect. It is illegal and doesn't happen. It may have happened in the past or some manager may say it but it is now against employment law.
    Worked in a bar and the manager went to empty my tip jar because the till was down. 6 different people worked on the till and decided I should pay. Pointed out he would have to prove I was at fault and show where it said I paid short falls in my contract. That was 20 years ago so it isn't like this is something new

Having had some really unscrupulous bosses myself as a low-paid teenager, I would not be at all convinced that it never happens. It IS illegal. That still wouldn’t put some people off doing it. Teenagers and students want to keep their jobs generally and would more often than not say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Yes. Once they gave me change for fifty- I had given them twenty. Told them, didnt want them getting into difficulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I definitely would say something.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Myself and my cousin were splitting the bill for a meal for relatives. It came to €140 and we said split it €75 each. They charged me €75 and charged my cousin 75 cent he walked out laughing and showed me the receipt for the card payment. We said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Say nothing.

It's a business, these things even out over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a fiver it's not going to make or break the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Depends on the business, if it’s a chain restaurant or somewhere owned by a bit of a mogul, I’ll just say nothing.

It it’s a tiny little cafe owned by a little old lady who has her grandchildren taking orders, then I’d definitely say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I tell them but I often wonder if I'm an idiot for doing so.

There's very little benefit for honesty these days. The least honest & least productive appear to be gaining most in society today.

I tell them but I often wonder if I'm an idiot for doing so.

There's very little benefit for honesty these days. The least honest & least productive appear to be gaining most in society today.

Well, for me, there’s pride in paying my way. That’s why I always say when I’ve been undercharged. Who cares if others are dishonest? You can hold your head high and know that you’re not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s a really popular place, actually two of them in different parts of town but both thriving.
    I don’t eat in this particular one that often and anyway they are a bit in the pricey side.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Depends on the situation. I'd probably give it back in a local shop or something. If I paying a good bit for a meal and got a small bit left off then I'd probably run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    This happened me a while back and I didn't realise it was the waiter's attempt at flirting with me to knock the dessert off.

Was quite awkward when I realised what was happening.

Did you ride him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Honesty is the best policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,456 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I went to collect a pizza order last year, and a slightly flustered young lady handed the grub and didn't make any attempt to collect payment. I let her know that it wasn't pre-paid, and she was fairly mortified when taking the payment. I did wonder afterwards what might have happened if I had kept my mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not problem taking a fiver off a multinational conglomerate

A small place one man band operation no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I'd try to pay whatever is owed whenever possible.
    On the flip side, and I usent go to restaurants much, but with a bit of a crowd in the party say over 8 people I've noticed (if we tot it up ourselves) that there can be a substantial overcharge! Esp. if much drinks are involved. Some unscrupulous owner/employee would bank on everybody putting the cash/card in the pile without checking as that would seem pedantic or mean. Apart from being labelled "no craic", "mean" is up there with the worst accusations you can have in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd say in the majority of cases where I've realised something is missing from the bill and I've pointed it out, they've just thanked me, and waived the charge for that item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It would be a good thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not problem taking a fiver off a multinational conglomerate

A small place one man band operation no chance
    Do you know enough to spot which business is which. Lots of businesses are franchises how do you know which is owned by the main company or some person who took out a massive loan?

What is your limit on a smaller company? Two members of staff, ok to rob from the company or not?
    A thief is a thief dont give yourself some false sense of morality based on who you are willing to steal from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

It’s a matter of principle. Either you’re as tight as a ducks arse, or you’re not. Simple really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement