Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

girlfriend and I attacked by teenage girls on Luas

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

crossman47 wrote: »
    It might be. You have no actual evidence those causing trouble on the Luas are welfare recipients in social housing. One high earning sportsman seems quite capable of thuggish behaviour.

Where’s he from?

Dismissing the concerns of workers and travellers on these routes isn’t as liberal as you think - it’s basically another form of “I’m alright jack”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

crossman47 wrote: »
    It might be. You have no actual evidence those causing trouble on the Luas are welfare recipients in social housing. One high earning sportsman seems quite capable of thuggish behaviour.

Exactly.
    Let's just say I work in an affluent area,.and it seems to be 'mainly' all hoodies and tracksuits..
    We must all remember (as was said many times before) social media is HIGHLY responsible for a lot of the kids attitudes and actions... Parents are not so much an influence anymore....
    So sad but totally true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I still stand by my solution above.
    Swift and quick action, tell the PC brigade to jog on.
    Then sterilize the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Exactly.
    Let's just say I work in an affluent area,.and it seems to be 'mainly' all hoodies and tracksuits..
    We must all remember (as was said many times before) social media is HIGHLY responsible for a lot of the kids attitudes and actions... Parents are not so much an influence anymore....
    So sad but totally true.

I’ve never seen hoodies and tracksuits in the real affluent areas in Dublin. Mixed areas, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Equal rights- equal fights. You should feel free to dish out a few upper cuts next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Where’s he from?

Dismissing the concerns of workers and travellers on these routes isn’t as liberal as you think - it’s basically another form of “I’m alright jack”.

I'm not dismissing the concerns at all. I share them. However, I don't share the idea that trouble is only caused by one particular group in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Vast majority are.

I’ve never seen hoodies and tracksuits in the real affluent areas in Dublin. Mixed areas, yes.

Ok agreed,.mixed areas.
    Which is basically most suburbs/villages/towns/cities in Ireland.
    Let's not split hairs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I think the worrying trend is that Dublin city centre seems to be getting worse. It is from my perspective even though I only visit Dublin 4-5 times a year. The 100% tolerance policy is making the city centre a no-go area. I imagine the Dubliners in the suburbs rarely go into the O'Connell St and Quays areas anymore and instead go to Dundrum or other such shopping centres.

Lived in Dublin my whole life. I can count on one hand the amount of times in the last 15 years I've been in town at night.

• Advertisement

Look let's just face facts,. we're all getting old and narky, and social media is showing us much more than we want to see,. probably this sort of thing was always happening around us but we just didn't realise and now nothing happens anymore with us being informed about it one way or another....... So then because we're getting old and narky we come on here and complain about it . ehhhhh something like that anyway!? :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They pay vat from OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

How is it difficult for you to understand that money gifted from the state that is partially returned to the state is not generating anything. It has not been earned through any income generating activity.

Your attempts to suggest that benefits are of benefit to anyone but the receiver are ridiculous.

No, It is essentially a tax re-distribution to people who are still net contributors.

Yes, that money will have been "earned" from people doing "jobs". It will also be invested in stocks and shares that allow companies to generate further economic activity.

Of course it is earned. Your opinion of the company's output is irrelevant, they are being paid to do something that has a value to someone else, something that generates economic value.

I find it hard to believe that it needs to be explained how there is a fundamental difference between money changing hands in return for goods, services and labour over money given for free with nothing being provided in return.

I'm not sure how or when you were appointed the arbiter of what opinions are relevant? Social welfare isn't a 'gift'. It is a legal right, an entitlement in law - just like any other money or service coming from government.

I'd also love to see your calculations around those 'net contributors' - let's see the costs of education, healthcare, subsidies to private car travel and more in that equation and we'll see how many net contributors we have.
    Posts that downplay anti social behaviour and freeloading must be quite loathsome to people who have to live next door to the scum.

On the assumption that this is aimed at me, I'll just clarify that I didn't downplay any behaviour, anti-social or otherwise. When it comes to freeloading, I guess there are lots of different definitions of what constitutes 'freeloading'.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yes.
    Congrats on the new role. I hope it's all taxable income that they're paying you - we need all the taxes we can manage to cover that spiralling welfare bill.
    Where’s he from?

In my experience, there is a very different vibe on the Luas at rush hour compared to other times. At rush hour, it is all workers, or certainly the vast majority. There's no room for anyone or anything else - generally no physical room for anti-social anything.

Outside of rush-hour, whether during the day or later in the evenings, it tends to have a fairly different vibe, especially on the red line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

recedite wrote: »
    Sounds like the security team may have deviated from the official work protocol at the end of the story. Entirely understandable though.
    You can see why they travel in teams, never alone. Never staying in one place for long.

the scobie's return attack happened when the guard was going back to his car after work so his mates returned the favour in similar fashion. Off the tram, out of plain sight and the scobie got the message and steered clear thereafter. A lot of those security men are ex Police or Military in their home countries so they're not soft. Really, in decent society, a tram shouldnt have to be defended by SWAT type security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

khaldrogo wrote: »
    2 types of people would make that remark.
    Someone not from Dublin.
    Someone from a shtty part of Dublin.

If all you see is Dublin City centre or all you know is some council estate then yes, Dublin is a kip. There is more to Dublin than it's city centre and council estates.

The city centre is where the vast majority of people go and there is no doubt that it is fast becoming a kip. It is mind boggling why the government have done nothing about the tramps and the drug addicts that seem to have taken a grip of the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the scobie's return attack happened when the guard was going back to his car after work so his mates returned the favour in similar fashion. Off the tram, out of plain sight and the scobie got the message and steered clear thereafter. A lot of those security men are ex Police or Military in their home countries so they're not soft. Really, in decent society, a tram shouldnt have to be defended by SWAT type security.
    No doubt about it, these guys are much appreciated by the ordinary public using the trams. Their work ethic is second to none.

Compare to the workers you'll see on the Dart line. One guy tightening a nut on the tracks, 5 others standing around watching him.

Guys in kiosks at the stations hiding from passengers, in case they would be disturbed or asked anything. No security. That's the old CIE mindset still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Look let's just face facts,. we're all getting old and narky, and social media is showing us much more than we want to see,. probably this sort of thing was always happening around us but we just didn't realise and now nothing happens anymore with us being informed about it one way or another....... So then because we're getting old and narky we come on here and complain about it . ehhhhh something like that anyway!? :-))

Rubbish. We may be getting older and crankier but if you think that things haven't been going rapidly downhill in recent years you must have been living on Mars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

recedite wrote: »
    No doubt about it, these guys are much appreciated by the ordinary public using the trams. Their work ethic is second to none.

Compare to the workers you'll see on the Dart line. One guy tightening a nut on the tracks, 5 others standing around watching him.

Guys in kiosks at the stations hiding from passengers, in case they would be disturbed or asked anything. No security. That's the old CIE mindset still going strong.

Don't the same security guys work the DART line too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Quick question. What's a 'nack bag' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Quick question. What's a 'nack bag' ?

Vernacular for a snack bag - typically a drink and both sweet and savoury small portion of food. A packet of crisps, a bar of chocolate, and a can of soda pop for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Don't the same security guys work the DART line too?

No, Irish Rail use a different security company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So was it like a set in a sci Fi film.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Vernacular for a snack bag - typically a drink and both sweet and savoury small portion of food. A packet of crisps, a bar of chocolate, and a can of soda pop for example.

'Package of crips'

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

A few months ago my boyfriend and I were coming from a restaurant on Millenium Walk in the early evening.

At the Luas tracks we were singled out and randomly verbally attacked by this guy who seemed to be off his face on drugs. We put our heads down and continued walking thinking he would ignore us but yet he continued to follow us towards Abbey Street still shouting abuse at us. I was extremely uneasy despite my boyfriend telling me to just walk on. We did a U turn across the street and walked back towards the Luas line. Still, he followed us shouting more abuse and spat at us. By this stage I was really frightened and not really knowing what to do we walked back up Millenium Walk and back into the restaurant we had been into. The guy stood at the window peering through it at us with the craziest look on his face. We told the bouncer at the door what had happened and he told us that particular person was regularly doing it at the Luas tracks. The bouncer told him to get lost and although he hovered around for a few minutes eventually headed off towards the quays.

I remember being so scared and uneasy for the rest of the evening until we got home. He could have easily took a knife or a needle out or something if we had have continued walking. He also didn’t give a sh*t that there were packs of people about either. I was so angry that someone like that is being allowed to walk the streets.

There was a girl on here not that long ago who had a thread about how she had been randomly punched in the face by a homeless guy and although she reported it straight away to the Gardai, they did nothing about it.

The city centre is a mess. I would have no issue with going as far as labelling it as dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know why drug addicts are classed as disabled and thus given a free travel pass? Surely this is part of the problem on the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone know why drug addicts are classed as disabled and thus given a free travel pass? Surely this is part of the problem on the Luas.

It's a disease

HCXN.gif

Advertisement