Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International women's day Mass protest

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭SeanW

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day, to end:

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?
    What pay gap? The wamyn are going to protest against a myth. And if this protest is going to be anything like the US Womens March, they're going to need a ragbag of sadistic murders and anti-Semites to serve as leaders (and make it authentic).

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest
    This is approximately equivalent to asking why Fathers' rights protesters aren't instead campaigning for fathers' rights under the religious laws of Iran.

It's such a self-evidently stupid argument, I doubt it needs elaboration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jesus, you really have drank the cool aid...do you really believe that men are not physically, emotionally abused in large numbers, men are by some distance least likely to report abuse, (approx 5% of abused men will report abuse it is believed)for obvious reasons.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mens-domestic-abuse-ireland-3734811-Dec2017/

Hold on a second. We were discussing the need for domestic violence shelters for men. That has nothing to do with whether or not I believe that men are physically and emotionally abused in large numbers. It has to do with whether or not there is a demand for domestic violence shelters for men. I’ve already stated that I don’t believe domestic violence shelters are ideal places for women and children, so without drinking any koolaid, why would I ever want to advocate that funding should go towards providing inadequate and inappropriate services for men? That wouldn’t make any bloody sense.

Access to third level education is gained through our points system, girls have been outperforming boys for decades allowing them greater options when it comes to education, except in STEM of course which is now subject to all kinds of equality programs....imagine if it was the other way round!

Girls have not been outperforming boys for decades, and access to third level education is not solely governed by the points system either. There are numerous avenues into third level education now that weren’t there for previous generations whose families simply could not afford a third level education for their children. STEM isn’t some great be all and end all of education, and the numbers of women enrolling in STEM courses still doesn’t come close to even threatening the numbers of male applicants applying for STEM courses. According to CSO figures from 2016, teaching was by far and away the most popular choice for students entering third level education. The teaching profession has been screaming out for more men to enter the profession since the early 2000’s. They won’t. Why? It has very little to do with being accused of any untoward behaviour around children, and a lot more to do with the fact that employment opportunities and conditions are just grim. I don’t have to imagine if it was the other way round. Even when it is the other way round - men simply don’t want to enter female dominated professions. They aren’t prevented from entering female dominated professions, but men simply don’t want to work under those conditions. I can’t say I blame them. I wouldn’t either.

The state offers women healthcare that is not extended to men, certain cancer treatments for example, men die younger.

That simply comes down to cost effectiveness. There wouldn’t be much of a point in offering women treatment for prostate cancer, would there? In the same way, there isn’t much point in offering boys the HPV vaccine, a point made by Dr. Diane Solomon, head of the National Cancer Institute in the US, who so astutely observes -

Men don’t have a cervix

Yet in this country the same Minister Harris whom you criticised earlier announced last August -

Boys to get HPV vaccine in 2019

A woman in this country will receive a lower sentence than a man for a comparable crime (I am aware that men commit much more crimes), if a woman murders her husband she will not receive the same sentence as a man who murders his wife, she is more likely to avoid a conviction by some distance either, the same applies for all types of crimes that people commit.

Again, sentencing is not based solely upon a person’s sex, but a number of factors which are taken into consideration in each individual case. It doesn’t even come down to whether or not men commit more crimes or the types of crimes committed by either sex.

Every time there’s a thread on here where a man has been convicted of rape or sexual assault, there are a number of men pile in with stories of how they claim to have had experiences which didn’t cause them any upset, so by that same token which is their standards for themselves - a woman shouldn’t be upset if she is sexually assaulted by a man. Those men are just as entitled to make a complaint as women are, but they don’t, and then they complain when women complain as though women shouldn’t complain either?

Why should anyone else live by that standard? You say that men don’t report domestic violence and sexual assault, but women who do report domestic violence and sexual assault are still at fault, somehow? Again, how does that make any sense?

Take a look at the kangaroo courts US Universities that have done huge damage to many young men. https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2015/07/06/campus-rape-lie/[/url]

And you accuse me of drinking the koolaid? A mere handful of cases in US universities where young men’s lives are ruined, is supposed to hold a candle to the number of women whose lives are ruined by sexual assault committed upon them by men in US Universities? They’re a ridiculous concept of course, but if you’re going to complain about them, you have to acknowledge the reason they came into existence in the first place.

Just because women are not succeeding in getting elected in the same numbers as men does not mean there is something inherently wrong with the system or the electorate...it is very very difficult to get elected and it should be....it is not perfect, but reform the entire system as opposed to shoe horning individuals based on a collective identity.

Political Quotas are undemocratic, full stop, we wouldn't tolerate a quota of catholics, or muslims or any other collective, nor should we...the people we elect represent all of us, man or woman...until the lobby groups get their teeth into them that is!

Elections are entirely based upon shoehorning individuals into positions of power based upon a collective identity. We don’t live in a direct democracy, we live in a representative democracy, and that’s why quotas are being introduced. They are the very core principle of a representative democracy - representation! Currently in Irish politics there is inarguably a lack of representation of women, and quotas are a means to redress that imbalance where there are a majority of men who represent both men and women. Of course it’s understandable that you’re unlikely to notice this disparity if you’re a man, but equally understandable is the fact that if you’re a woman, it’s pretty hard to miss :pac:

We need to rid ourselves of our belief that it is only one gender that is problematic, it is doing more harm than good.

But you’re continually perpetuating it by suggesting that women have more influence and power than they deserve? You have yet to quantify just how much power you imagine women do “deserve” given that they make up half the population of this country? If anyone were to say “men have more power and influence than they deserve”, you’d lose your shìt, so why do you think then that it’s ok to say something like that about women, and then say that we need to rid ourselves of the belief that only one gender is problematic? You acknowledge that it does more harm than good, yet your own ideas are no different than the people you’re criticising!

Has any company been named yet, for paying men more than women for doing the exact same work/ hours ??? I wonder how many successful, career women will be attending this march, zero id say.

I've posted this before, but still relevant:

Here’s a scenario:
    Imagine a company of 200 people. 50 male scientists and 50 female scientists, each earing €100k. The rest of the staff is made up of ancillary work like cleaners, security guards, receptionists, typists etc. By some quirk, every one of those people is paid exactly the same, say €30k, regardless of job, religion or sex.

This is the very definition of an equal pay workforce. All men and women are paid the same as their colleagues doing the same job, whether they are scientists or cleaners.

If the ancillary staff are made up of 20 men and 80 women though, this skews the reading of the statistics. All of a sudden, the men in that equal pay company earn an average of €80k per year while the women only take home an average that is less than €57k.

40% Paygap, outta nowhere.

The irony is that to correct this imbalance, the correct thing to do would be to fire 30 women and hire the same number of men in their place.

How’s that for equality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This is approximately equivalent to asking why Fathers' rights protesters aren't instead campaigning for fathers' rights under the religious laws of Iran.

It's such a self-evidently stupid argument, I doubt it needs elaboration.
    What rights are not being met for women here? It disgusts me the way it's pretended we are oppressed here - an absolute insult to the women around the world experiencing unimaginable abuse. As a woman I won the lottery being born in Ireland. Ever hear of menstrual huts?

There are some misogynistic assholes in the West of course (and by god is hardline feminism grist to their mill) but what oppression do we suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What rights are not being met for women here? It disgusts me the way it's pretended we are oppressed here - an absolute insult to the women around the world experiencing unimaginable abuse. As a woman I won the lottery being born in Ireland. Ever hear of menstrual huts?

There are some misogynistic assholes in the West of course (and by god is hardline feminism grist to their mill) but what oppression do we suffer?

Yep, its certainly causing a backlash for people to continue to focus on issues that are questionable like the Gender pay gap considering some of the things that are wrong in the world with the way that women are treated. I think the feminist movement would have a lot less backlash and a lot more respect if they focused less on the issues of middle class white women in the west.

I am not for a second saying that there are not sill issues to be addressed but the focus no longer needs to be on Western society.

What rights are not being met for women here?
    The fact that men and women can't share parental leave, which happens in other European countries. That's a biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

That simply comes down to cost effectiveness. There wouldn’t be much of a point in offering women treatment for prostate cancer, would there? In the same way, there isn’t much point in offering boys the HPV vaccine, a point made by Dr. Diane Solomon, head of the National Cancer Institute in the US, who so astutely observes -

Men don’t have a cervix

Yet in this country the same Minister Harris whom you criticised earlier announced last August -

Boys to get HPV vaccine in 2019

!

Umm, this one isn’t quite so simple. Initially when I saw your link I thought, Jesus who is Dr Solomon, she’s a bit of an idiot. Actually though when you read the article it’s a bit more nuanced, and very much influenced by considerations inherent to the US - there is actually very good reasons to extend vaccination to boys, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t applied here sooner.

https://www.rcpi.ie/news/releases/extending-hpv-vaccine-to-boys-why-is-it-so-important/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think they should have been incredibly embarrassed by the home made signs they put on the desk. Could they not figure out a printer and/or printing services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

We should allow women to work longer hours to earn the same as men.
    There, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've posted this before, but still relevant:

Here’s a scenario:
    Imagine a company of 200 people. 50 male scientists and 50 female scientists, each earing €100k. The rest of the staff is made up of ancillary work like cleaners, security guards, receptionists, typists etc. By some quirk, every one of those people is paid exactly the same, say €30k, regardless of job, religion or sex.

This is the very definition of an equal pay workforce. All men and women are paid the same as their colleagues doing the same job, whether they are scientists or cleaners.

If the ancillary staff are made up of 20 men and 80 women though, this skews the reading of the statistics. All of a sudden, the men in that equal pay company earn an average of €80k per year while the women only take home an average that is less than €57k.

40% Paygap, outta nowhere.

The irony is that to correct this imbalance, the correct thing to do would be to fire 30 women and hire the same number of men in their place.

How’s that for equality?

Away out here with your sense and your maths.

Rabble rabble, patriarchy, oppression........money please.

tritium wrote: »
    Umm, this one isn’t quite so simple. Initially when I saw your link I thought, Jesus who is Dr Solomon, she’s a bit of an idiot. Actually though when you read the article it’s a bit more nuanced, and very much influenced by considerations inherent to the US - there is actually very good reasons to extend vaccination to boys, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t applied here sooner.

https://www.rcpi.ie/news/releases/extending-hpv-vaccine-to-boys-why-is-it-so-important/

No you’re right, to be fair, but the point I was making is that these decisions with regard to treatments offered aren’t based upon sex, but rather they are based upon cost effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No you’re right, to be fair, but the point I was making is that these decisions with regard to treatments offered aren’t based upon sex, but rather they are based upon cost effectiveness.

Ah so it is cheaper to provide women with healthcare, so why bother offering men any...good stuff.

Even if you don't agree with the service, it must be cheaper to provide domestic abuse shelters to women also....men would probably insist on cigars and snooker tables and the likes!!

It must be waaay cheaper to jail men than women!

What rights do you think women aren't getting as a consequence of not electing a lot of women?

Because the only right I have, as a man, that a women doesn't is that I won't get prosecuted for walking around town topless!

Ah so it is cheaper to provide women with healthcare, so why bother offering men any...good stuff.

No, that’s nothing like what I said. You mentioned treatments for certain cancers and both prostate and cervical cancer were the first two that came to mind as cancers specifically related to a person’s sex. The point I was making is that these policy decisions aren’t based upon sex, they’re based upon cost effectiveness. The recent debate over the availability and funding of Orkambi is a better example of the influence of cost effectiveness with regard to the availability and funding of treatments -

Huge cost of Orkambi deal will be major challenge for HSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I try to just ignore all the “days” - cancer, women, men, lupus, whatever. I can never work up an interest because I find each respective day just to be a lot of white noise as so much is being said on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So it is being organised by Ruth "My solution to every private company dispute is to nationalise them." Coppinger.

How did she get elected again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So it is being organised by Ruth "My solution to every private company dispute is to nationalise them." Coppinger.

How did she get elected again?

D'people. But still the people are never listed to or have their voices heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A load of white, middle class, blue haired college sjw students and eternally " oppressed " women, it sounds like a fun protest.

No point rocking up in the hope of getting one's hole I'd opine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Sounds like a complete circle jerk for feminazis.

Any person with half a brain won't buy into this BS.

It's a side effect of living in the west (first world), people have it too easy and dream up **** to be offended by. I wish these nuts jobs would actually invest their time into worthy causes.

There will always be sexist people, both men and women.

These feminazis would have you believe that women all over Ireland are being oppressed, that's bs, it's all about personality, there are woman I know that would chew up any man and spit him out. Work or home, there will always be someone with a dominating personality, whether that's man or female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Coming up to the Repeal referendum (I was a yes voter) there were numerous voices on social media saying Ireland was like Gilead (in The Handmaid's Tale) and actually being serious. :rolleyes:
    The fact that men and women can't share parental leave, which happens in other European countries. That's a biggie.
    That's a people issue, not just a women's one. Working together would help to bridge the gap, but some folk seem intent on widening it.

• Advertisement

I think Ruth got her answer today. 50 protesters partially blocked O’Connell Bridge. Wowsers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/walkout-womens-day-4530990-Mar2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Earth shattering stuff, better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Happy "Shoving it down everyones throats, how great women are and how **** men are" Day everyone.

Advertisement