Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in the workplace

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Unions are no good either. Most are in bed with Snr management and try and brush everything under the carpet x

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I had limited interactions with Unions.... however my first was not so positive and as a young 19 year old when this incident happened my opinion was slightly colored in a negative light that took a LONG while to shake.

I was working in Dublin Airport in the duty free, a week or two on the shop floor, just dragging product from the sub stores to the main shop store and then stacking shelves, a ‘merchandiser’ was the job title.

I was in the store room on my own when I was approached by two colleagues, same uniform as myself but they worked at a different pier. They identified themselves by first name and their Union involvement and said they would want me to join. I replied that I would like to so they explained a bit about the Union role in the company briefly etc and placed a membership form on the shelf in front of me and asked me to sign. I said I would like to take it home, read it properly and I’d make sure to seek them out the next day with the document signed. Strangly both their demeanors changed considerably at this point and they began to get stroppy. Next thing I know one of them steps forward grabs my arm, jams a pen between my fingers and forces me to ‘squiggle’ on the document.

I was in several minds as how to proceed, do I just go straight off and call the Airport Police ? Inform my manager ? Seek a more senior Union guy or a combination of the above.

Either way I made the decision as an inexperienced newbie to bottle it and that was that. After almost 20 years of non membership and never coming close to joining, back in ‘15 I found myself on the wrong side of a situation where I really could have used their help. The situation resolved itself after much effort and many sleepless nights but I subsequently joined a Union and while I have not joined with any hope or anticipation of needing their help, I believe getting that letter of membership onto your bosses desk as a reminder that they need to
    abide by the rules might save you the stress and sleepless nights that being adrift of backup when things go wrong and all the shît that comes with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Strumms wrote: »
    I had limited interactions with Unions.... however my first was not so positive and as a young 19 year old when this incident happened my opinion was slightly colored in a negative light that took a LONG while to shake.

I was working in Dublin Airport in the duty free, a week or two on the shop floor, just dragging product from the sub stores to the main shop store and then stacking shelves, a ‘merchandiser’ was the job title.

I was in the store room on my own when I was approached by two colleagues, same uniform as myself but they worked at a different pier. They identified themselves by first name and their Union involvement and said they would want me to join. I replied that I would like to so they explained a bit about the Union role in the company briefly etc and placed a membership form on the shelf in front of me and asked me to sign. I said I would like to take it home, read it properly and I’d make sure to seek them out the next day with the document signed. Strangly both their demeanors changed considerably at this point and they began to get stroppy. Next thing I know one of them steps forward grabs my arm, jams a pen between my fingers and forces me to ‘squiggle’ on the document.

I was in several minds as how to proceed, do I just go straight off and call the Airport Police ? Inform my manager ? Seek a more senior Union guy or a combination of the above.

Either way I made the decision as an inexperienced newbie to bottle it and that was that. After almost 20 years of non membership and never coming close to joining, back in ‘15 I found myself on the wrong side of a situation where I really could have used their help. The situation resolved itself after much effort and many sleepless nights but I subsequently joined a Union and while I have not joined with any hope or anticipation of needing their help, I believe getting that letter of membership onto your bosses desk as a reminder that they need to
    abide by the rules might save you the stress and sleepless nights that being adrift of backup when things go wrong and all the shît that comes with that.

Did those union guys look like this?

https://goo.gl/images/aiqGMz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Just sleep with your bullies partner is the best revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just plainly say to them, "oh are you bulling me?", based on their response it could be escalated up to HR. Some times talking straight is what works best as all these 'unspoken rules' and stuff like that is why most people in all facets of society are miserable.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    look at this knobend in action ..and just to think he's lauded as some sort of respectable celebrity now...

i'd give him a smack in the kisser if he talked to me like that

It's hard to know whether Ramsey is being a humiliating prick for the cameras, or curtailing his bullying prick nature because of the cameras. It's revealing the sort of people these "reality" shows promote as their stars. It's as if these shows would all wither away unless they were based upon humiliating people and being nasty. Fine role models indeed.

Again, more weapons on a cooking "reality" show trying to outdo each other with nastiness, the new "acceptable normality" for impressionable younger people watching:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In terms of bullying I have never seen a place as bad as the UK for allowing it to flourish. That includes Tanzania and Sumatra. It really is an ineffecient country.

Advertisement