Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rabbit in garden

• 20-02-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all. Over the last few days I’ve noticed a very young rabbit in my garden. No sign of any accompanying adult with it.

It sits in the same spot in the garden for hours at a time before disappearing and then returning to the same place for another while

What should I do in this case? Should I leave it to it’s own devices? Should I try and trap it and release it in a field across the road? Or is there somebody I should contact?

If it was a bit older I wouldn’t mind as much but this one looks to be struggling on its own

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do absolutely nothing, unless you want rid of rabbits about the garden. What you describe is completely normal; as I can attest to with my own garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Hi all. Over the last few days I’ve noticed a very young rabbit in my garden. No sign of any accompanying adult with it.

It sits in the same spot in the garden for hours at a time before disappearing and then returning to the same place for another while

What should I do in this case? Should I leave it to it’s own devices? Should I try and trap it and release it in a field across the road? Or is there somebody I should contact?

If it was a bit older I wouldn’t mind as much but this one looks to be struggling on its own

Thanks all
    Fire up the cooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Could it be a hare by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Do absolutely nothing, unless you want rid of rabbits about the garden. What you describe is completely normal; as I can attest to with my own garden.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve left him be and he seems to happy out living in the garden. Have discovered that he’s sleeping in a cavity block at the bottom of the garden

I’ve absolutely zero problems with him being there. Was just concerned as I live in a concrete jungle as such. A busy estate with the nearest field/woodland being a 10 minute walk away and across a busy motorway. He also looks to be very young.

If there was something I could have done to help get him back to his normal habitat I would have done whatever was required but if you tell me he’s okay where he is I’m happy to leave him there :) Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

baaba maal wrote: »
    Could it be a hare by any chance?

No, 100% a rabbit. Very young too by the looks of things. Could easily fit it in the palm of your hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Leave him out some lettuce? a carrot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

1874 wrote: »
    Leave him out some lettuce? a carrot?

Both are quite bad for rabbits. Carrots are very sugary for them and can cause dental issues over time.

Diet should be about 90% grass. If you want to leave something out kale is a great choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Both are quite bad for rabbits. Carrots are very sugary for them and can cause dental issues over time.

Diet should be about 90% grass. If you want to leave something out kale is a great choice.

Fatten him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Well Bugs bunny has a lot to answer for then, but lettuce? theres barely anything in lettuce anyway :) just water and green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1874 wrote: »
    Well Bugs bunny has a lot to answer for then, but lettuce? theres barely anything in lettuce anyway :) just water and green

lactucarium in some lettuce isn't very good for them.

But, let's get real here. It's a wild rabbit and well able to look after and feed itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Deagol

Flyer29 wrote: »

Thanks all

Are you sure it's a wild rabbit? I've seen domestic rabbits being released into the wild - my sister found a beautiful young domestic rabbit someone had cruelly dumped. Kept him as a wonderful pet for years. Domestic rabbits cannot survive on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Do nothing at all. Leave him be, he will be fine on his own ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bogwoppit wrote: »

Fatten him up.
    beat me to it

Advertisement