Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hikvision

Options
  • 14-02-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm looking for some POE IP CCTV cameras. Was kind of set on Hikvision but have the following questions / queries

- The model numbers make no sense to me. Am I safe looking for 4mp+dome+POE

- The HIK seem to be more difficult to get. From some reading have I missed the boat and they are more interested in dealing with authorized distributors rather than Amazon say.

If people can answer these question or suggested HIK models or alternatives from HIK if supply is an issue I'd appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

bifl wrote: »
    I'm looking for some POE IP CCTV cameras. Was kind of set on Hikvision but have the following questions / queries

- The model numbers make no sense to me. Am I safe looking for 4mp+dome+POE

- The HIK seem to be more difficult to get. From some reading have I missed the boat and they are more interested in dealing with authorized distributors rather than Amazon say.

If people can answer these question or suggested HIK models or alternatives from HIK if supply is an issue I'd appreciate it

Most of the supplies will supply you if you go in with Money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I installed a Hikvison system at my parents place over Christmas. with the cameras there are lots of clones about and I cross checked the seller with hikvisions authorised distributor/seller list. I live in the UK so sourced them from here and brought them back over in the car at Xmas. From the prices I saw online it was about 25% cheaper and I didn't have any issues with buying them (from what understand in Ireland they are reluctant to sell to private individuals and more expensive).

I have set up 5, 1 dome, 2 bullet and 2 turret all with nightvision and 4 MP connected via POE to the Hikvision box which has a 6Tb drive WD purple rated for 24/7 use. It records for about 5-6 weeks loop at HD I think I've set it at 22fps with the latest encoding to compress it further.

I've done mine properly and sourced shielded CAT5e terminated to a shielded patch panel in a small 19inch rack.

I may play around with smart thermostats in future so it gives flexibility also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

OP have you picked out a kit yet? I'm also in the same boat and was looking at this kit

https://www.cctv-global.co.uk/i104m-a1t, anyone have any feedback on it?

With the above system does each cable have to be ran back to the nvr, or is it better/easier to run them all directly to a Poe switch (in an attic for instance)

5500 wrote: »
    OP have you picked out a kit yet? I'm also in the same boat and was looking at this kit

With the above system does each cable have to be ran back to the nvr, or is it better/easier to run them all directly to a Poe switch (in an attic for instance)

According to the spec of the NVR there is 4 POE enabled ports on the back of the unit itself. So there would be no need for a separate POE switch. No experience with it but from what I have heard Hiwatch is rebadged Swann equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

HiWatch is a lower spec and aimed at the diy market.
    Have a look at the Hik Vision over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Hi,
    Nothing picked yet. I see even from the website you have mentioned that the Hikvision stuff is 'trade'. I wonder are there other makes comparable and available on amazon say?

Looking at getting a few domes, POE, 4mp perhaps.

Thanks for all the contributions so far

bifl wrote: »
    Hi,
    Nothing picked yet. I see even from the website you have mentioned that the Hikvision stuff is 'trade'. I wonder are there other makes comparable and available on amazon say?

Looking at getting a few domes, POE, 4mp perhaps.

Thanks for all the contributions so far

On amazon you risk getting clones. I rather source the equipment from reputable sellers which are authorised to sell it. One thing I will say about the Hikvision despite after becoming the standard per say there are a few bugs and the manuals are generally poorly written and translated from Chinese to English. When you purchase the bare box you will be facing a "beeping" device with little instructions regards fitting, formatting the harddisk nor setting up the various cameras or networking the device.

About your choice of cameras it will depend on where you install them and what you want from them. How much of a range, do you nightvision, where will they be installed, focal length (wide or tight angle).

The domes are handy as they are hard to mess with however they will suffer with rain beading on the lens similarly the bullet and turret will have issues with spiders webs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Same as bifl, can any of you guys recommend a particular model nvr and cams if buying separate is the way to go (4 x outdoor bullet or turret 4mp) or even suppliers in Ireland or online? having rang a couple of suppliers I couldn't get much info bar one with the above linked hiwatch kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If going outdoor, get the turret cameras. Fewer spiders.
    The best ones (darkfighter) have sony starvis so can use streetlight / starlight to work in the dark without ir on most of the time and still keep colour mode.
    2MP or 3MP max (these will outperform any 8MP in the dark).
    I'd recommend these:

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/Network-Camera/EasyIP-3.0/3MP/DS-2CD2335FWD-I

Advertisement