Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift + other specific requirements

Options
  • 29-01-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new laptop
    Want to get an Oculus Rift too So needs to be compatible. That seems to need 3 usb ports and hdmi
    So some graphics card of quality needed
    8gb ram but would like 16gb
    15 " or larger screen
    SSD 250g or larger but here is the trickier bit I am not sure of. I have a SSD 1T drive already so want one that I can add that into.

2 in 1 tablet option with touch screen would be kind of nice.

Up to €2k but would like to spend less if I can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I bought an MSI laptop with a GTX 1070 card and it's perfect for my Rift.

It came in just over €2000 when I bought it last year, but here's a similar spec which is a bit cheaper now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Laptops/MSI-Raider-8RF-063UK-15-6-Inch-Gaming/B07CNP3C3D/

really you'd want to go for a 1070 card at the least, though a 1080 may have more future-proofing.

Saying that, I haven't experienced any slow down with my setup, and I've played some of the most demanding VR games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Also worth mentioning the Oculus Quest is coming soon.

It will be an all-in-one VR headset that doesn't require a companion PC, and some great Rift titles are being ported to it, like Robo Recall and Superhot.

So maybe wait for reviews on that before spending wads on the PC solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Thanks for info. A 2 hour battery life is just way below what I would need

The quest is something I didn't know but I need a new laptop either way and soon. Just trying to cover as much as I can with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've used both and the Oculus is far more portable than Vive for laptops.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement