Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options for Cooker Hoods/Extractor-fans

• 28-01-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new cooker hood and I'm wondering what I should be expecting for my money and where is best to buy.

Kitchen is smallish but has not door, instead opens into the stairs.
    If I cook and there is a lot of smoke/steam then the smell goes up the stairs, which I obviously want to avoid. I'd also prefer not to have something too noisy.
    I'm interested in the angled hoods but I'm not sure if they're going to be as good as the standard ones which look like they catch more steam/smoke.

Other info:
    Have the hole in the wall with piping so don't need a re-circulation option
    60mm wide
    Prefer the chimney look
    Smallish kitchen
    I do a fair amount of cooking
    Spending depends on how much I like but I'm hoping no more than 350€ (I can install)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Look at the noise levels, (usually in dbs), and go for as wide as you can fit... Then just look at how much air they shift...
    Mines a bit crap...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hole in wall will need to be 100/125mm, 4 to 5 inches. The other point is one with a steel mesh filter that can be put in the dish washer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Water John wrote: »
    Hole in wall will need to be 100/125mm, 4 to 5 inches. The other point is one with a steel mesh filter that can be put in the dish washer.

I have this done from the last fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Markcheese wrote: »
    . Then just look at how much air they shift...

I'm wondering what the ratio is, usually the more air the shift the nosier they are etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

I'm looking to get a new cooker hood and I'm wondering what I should be expecting for my money and where is best to buy.

Kitchen is smallish but has not door, instead opens into the stairs.
    If I cook and there is a lot of smoke/steam then the smell goes up the stairs, which I obviously want to avoid. I'd also prefer not to have something too noisy.
    I'm interested in the angled hoods but I'm not sure if they're going to be as good as the standard ones which look like they catch more steam/smoke.

Other info:
    Have the hole in the wall with piping so don't need a re-circulation option
    60mm wide
    Prefer the chimney look
    Smallish kitchen
    I do a fair amount of cooking
    Spending depends on how much I like but I'm hoping no more than 350€ (I can install)

Look at the Luxair Ison if you're looking for a good hood around that price point. Should give you the look you want but a good price point. Luxair hoods are all well built too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When buying a cooker hood what sort of cubed metres of air should it be moving per minute/hour or whatever measurement there is? I do a lot of smokey cooking at high temperatures in a wok. Dont think I've ever seen a hood that prevents the kitchen getting smokey but am renovating soon so hope to solve the problem. I wouldn't even mind if it was noisy so long as it got rid of all the smoke as it is created.

Advertisement