Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I think it’s probably too late to establish a running game this season, don’t have the horses up front and now they are banged up on top of it. The backs are average at best but in fairness to them they never have anywhere to go when they get the handoff. Derrick Henry would struggle behind this line.

Ben hasn’t looked the same the past few games even if you disregard the drops, don’t know if he is hiding an injury with that arm but they have to start varying that passing game beyond the short screen passes and crossers they’ve been living off. If he is healthy and can’t do that then they need to seriously reevaluate the QB position in the off season, and I don’t say that lightly.

The QB job is Ben’s until he says it isn’t. What he’s done for the organisation added to the fact that the Rooney’s are extremely loyal to those that are loyal to them(not always a good thing in the NFL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OOnegative wrote: »
    The QB job is Ben’s until he says it isn’t. What he’s done for the organisation added to the fact that the Rooney’s are extremely loyal to those that are loyal to them(not always a good thing in the NFL).

I think he is playing through an injury and may come around, we’ll see.

Steelers generally treat their players well but they have a ruthless streak also, Polamalu, Ward, Faneca are all franchise legends that left before they’d have chosen to. Ben is extremely expensive, if he is staying after this season they’ll need to extend him again to get that cap figure down. It would be hard to do that and commit new money again if they feel he is done. Not saying that cutting of forcing him to retire is likely btw, just that there are those factors involved, and the cap situation is not good as we all know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The reason against them leaving Ben behind for me is all non-Steelers type trades and moves seem to be geared towards giving Ben one last shot in the short term at a Super Bowl before Colbert retires/leaves or Ben - trading for firsts and free agents etc.

But also I wonder if the more mature Ben makes the decision for them. Certainly the drama queen Ben of his younger years would be a nightmare...

Certainly true about them trying to load the cannon for one last push with Ben, but even at that 2020 is probably the last stand realistically. They are already in cap trouble with just 30 guys signed for 2021! Bud, Juju, Conner, Hilton, Sutton, Feiler, Villanueva, Alualu and others are free agents. Decisions need to be made about expensive vets like Haden and DeCastro, they have to sort a contract for TJ Watt etc. It would be optimistic to think they’ll have a playoff roster next year, let alone a SuperBowl one.

Like I said with Ben in 2021 there are two options, move on or double down and give him more years to get some cap relief. Look at the way he is moving around out there, he can still make plays but the end is nigh I’m afraid. I’m still hopeful he can turn this offence around and give a good account in the playoffs... but it may be a natural time for both sides to move on then.

I guy I follow who has been on the "Ben is here to stay for 2022 maybe longer" for years (David Todd) is starting to change his tune.

He mentioned going for Darnold for a 3rd and 6th pick if you're really going for the Ben train. Detroit also looking to get rid of Stafford.

What way would people here go in the event Ben goes - stick with Rudolph (disaster), go to or wait on a draft, expensive draft pick swap or veteran merry-go-round

By all accounts there are only a handful of pro ready QB’s coming out and they are all expected to go top 10 so I think they will have to wait to draft somebody unless they think the next Mahomes is there in which case you do whatever it takes.

Darnold might be worth a third or something like that. Wouldn’t mind that at all.

You have a few streaky guys like Trubisky and Winston hitting free agency if the team don’t want to do a trade, with the cap situation every pick in 2021 will be precious. I’d bet those guys would sign a reasonable prove it deal for a year but it would depend on whether Matt Canada think he could work with them (I’m assuming Fictner leaves with Ben).

I think guys like Stafford are out of reach financially for now. Ben carries a big dead cap charge so that would have to be managed off the books if he retires and you could be looking at a Patriots 2020 type season next year where you have a cheap vet in an effort to tidy up the cap and get a better draft slot for the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Former Steelers OLB Kevin Greene Dead At 58

Former Pittsburgh Steelers’ outside linebacker and Hall of Famer Kevin Greene died at the age of 58 on Monday, according to multiple reports.

Greene spent just three years of his long NFL career in Pittsburgh. But he made his time count. In 48 starts with the Steelers, Greene racked up 35.5 sacks, including leading the league with 14 of them in 1994. He was named to a pair of Pro Bowls and one All-Pro team during his time with the black and gold.

Drafted in the 5th round out of Auburn by the Los Angeles Rams in 1985, Greene finished his NFL career with 160 total sacks. That figure still ranks third all-time. He spent the bulk of his career with the Rams and also had stints with the Steelers and 49ers before finishing his career with the Carolina Panthers. He made five career Pro Bowls and two All-Pro teams.

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016. His complete HOF speech can be viewed at the link here.

Greene got into coaching after his playing days. He served as the Green Bay Packers’ OLB coach from 2009-2013 and in the same role with the New York Jets from 2017-2018. There were times where we called on the Steelers to hire Greene as the Steelers’ outside linebackers coach, an idea that Greene publicly seemed receptive to.

If My Steelers need me, I'm there. I hope they know that.

— Kevin Greene (@sackmaster91) January 10, 2017

Greene were part of tremendous Steelers’ 90s linebacker groups consisting of Chad Brown and Greg Lloyd. He was a terrific player and by all accounts, equally good person who deserved to wear his gold jacket.

RIP Kevin Greene.

UPDATE: The Hall of Fame has issued a statement regarding Greene’s passing. From HOF President David Baker.

“The entire Pro Football Hall of Fame family mourns the passing of Kevin Greene. I regarded him as a personal friend and a true Hall of Famer in every sense. He possessed the most incredible can-do attitude of anyone I ever met. He was a great player, but more than that, he was a great man. Our thoughts and prayers are with Kevin’s wife, Tara, and their entire family. We will forever keep his legacy alive to serve as inspiration for future generations. The Hall of Fame flag will be flown at half-staff in Kevin’s memory.”

So much for the Bengals being a get right game, disaster so far anyway. Defence on the field virtually the entire first quarter as the Steelers can’t get a first down.

WR INT
    Ben fumble
    Ben INT
    Snap fumble

next up is the RB fumble

They are lucky to have 0 points. They are a mess at this point, they look shot.

That’s the game. Offence won’t erase a two score lead and this D is gassed and will probably allow at least another FG

That dreadful first half is probably going to cost them the division. Browns in a great spot now with Jets and Steelers at home left on the schedule

• Advertisement

I would refuse to believe there's been a worse offense performance from the Steelers than that first half...certainly in ten years, 20 years, even further.

Absolutely stunning how quickly this team has fallen off a cliff. I think we all knew their record was a little generous earlier in the year but they are not fundamentally this bad, and they seem to be regressing with each game. I don’t see where a win is coming from and I think at this stage it’s the Browns division. Crazy

dfx- wrote: »
    I would refuse to believe there's been a worse offense performance from the Steelers than that first half...certainly in ten years, 20 years, even further.

OLine is getting owned and Ben is really erratic with his throws. As discussed during the week, it may be time for some fairly drastic changes on this offence. I dread to think what Garrett is going to do to AV in that final game

I actually LOL’d today when I saw Pouncey and Decastro made the pro-bowl. Did they do the vote in 2016?

The OLine has been the issue everyone thought - notwithstanding injuries. The offense questions before the season were whether Ben is back, the OLine and the RB situation.

The WR drops were an added thing, but I think it stems from the OLine. Hassenauer, Okorafor, Feiler and Dotson just haven't come in and improved anything and AV, Pouncey and DeCastro are still there...

The Bengals DLine was just Lawson basically and they still couldn't cope...

Anyone else think all is not well with Ben, all this short passing? Is his arm shot and we’re not being told? They’ll finish 11-5 and be knocked out in 1st round of the playoffs.

It's all linked imo.

For the juju fumble (big hit, not really his fault), Claypool was open and a TD was on but Ben didn't see him. When Ebron was injured, he threw into tight coverage when Claypool was clear down the middle for a TD. He is underthrowing it a bit, but not seeing players open is concerning..then again it is with a release time of 2 seconds.

By the very quick release time he's not going through his options, not seeing things develop. The quick release time is caused by insufficient blocking, no threat of a running game to keep LB honest, saving him from sacks..

Yeah I think the line is a huge issue, that said, even when Ben gets a clear pocket his passes are not consistent. They tried to open up the playbook a bit in that second half and he wasn’t hitting guys, we can’t blame the line for everything.

Ben took a big hit to his lower body against Dallas and he really hasn’t looked right since, they even mentioned it last night, throwing motion looks off and there are reports of knee problems. He says he is 100% though so who knows

Vince Williams is back and Boswell was limited in practice supposedly - probably practicing FGs from 70 yards with this offense.:)

It’s good that Vince is back to give them at least some experience at linebacker, Allen is a rotational player at best and is a liability in the run game especially, so at least he can come out now. They have been getting gashed on the ground in recent weeks.

I wouldn’t have much optimism for this game against the Colts with the state of this offence, can’t see where the points will come from against a pretty solid Colts team unless Ben can get going again and starts making better decisions with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Where's my this is fine meme when I need it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Offense is absolutely shocking!!!!

Another three and out, this must be the worst offence in the NFL right now, they are absolutely inept in every phase. I’m usually the glass half full sort but this is really hard to watch.

Another three and out, this must be the worst offence in the NFL right now, they are absolutely inept in every phase. I’m usually the glass half full sort but this is really hard to watch.

Same as, but throwing a slant pass nearly every throw is fcukin high school football. They are totally inept on offense at the minute.

Same as, but throwing a slant pass nearly every throw is fcukin high school football. They are totally inept on offense at the minute.

Problem is that I don’t think Ben can do anything else, his long and intermediate throws are wildly inconsistent at this stage either due to injury or age related regression. All these short throws are inviting the opposition to crowd the line of scrimmage, smothering both the short passing and running games and putting the OLine under huge pressure. I don’t know how you fix it while Ben is the QB.

Romo even said it on the coverage that they haven’t changed anything with the offensive scheme in a month despite being completely ineffective. It’s because they can’t. Ben is not even taking those sideline shots at Claypool any more

this offense is actually hard to watch even as a fan at this point. Earlier in the season they would put in at least one good half and not the other. Now you wouldn't trust them with your life to get five yards. And they would try to get it with a screen behind the line of scrimmage.

They're doing the same things that haven't worked for a month with no sign of change. The two yard TD was even a struggle. The defense is hampered by injuries but are not stopping Rivers.

I think it's Ben's knee that is his problem...he's not putting any weight on it on the throw, but there are so many problems with that offense all over.

• Advertisement

Jaysis Christ!!!

Hammer blow to get stopped there, not that they were getting back in this anyway. Claypool is basically uncoverable if they can get him in the game. Signs of a pulse at least.

Where did that come from!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Game back on.

Where has this offense been the past 3 games or so, my god they’ve woken up.

• Advertisement

Wow, was not expecting to see this! Ben looking like his old self all of a sudden and the Colts have no answer

Inexplicable...quite a few Colts penalties in there but still inexplicable change. Is this Ben freewheeling the plays again?

Inexplicable...quite a few Colts penalties in there but still inexplicable change. Is this Ben freewheeling the plays again?

Whatever it is, keep it going cause it’s working!!

Huge INT by Hilton!!

Never saw that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Never saw that coming.

Can't see anything coming with the Steelers this feckin season. Great win anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

What a transformation in that second half, just unbelievable effort from everyone and Ben slinging it like he was earlier in the season.

Division and a home field playoff game sealed so they can rest some guys next week. If Ben can carry that second half performance in to the postseason then perhaps they can be relevant after all. I must say I had pretty much given up on the season after that Bengals game. Don’t know how they turned it around but delighted they have.

Division won also, bottle that 2nd half performance and use it for the remainder of the season. Great comeback because I thought we were done at 24-7 down.

The Colts had held teams to 14 sacks all season on there QB till today, Steelers handed them 5 today. Defense maybe depleted somewhat but still playing at a serious level all the same.

who do you rest next week?

• Advertisement

Ben for most of the game anyway. They are probably too injured to fully rest everyone that they’d like to, but you can sub out guys like TJ, Heyward etc as much as possible. You want that pass rush as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

I’d also limit snaps for guys like Haden and Conner that have been injured lately. Depends on the depth behind each group really

Everyone.

Dwayne Haskins anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Dwayne Haskins anyone?

No thanks he's a locker room cancer

No thanks he's a locker room cancer

Wasn’t being serious, another lad with serious talent wasted by looks of it.

Even if Haskins wasn’t a clown is he even that good? Haven’t seen anything from him to suggest he is any better than Mason Rudolph to be honest.

Would we have the cap room for FitzMagic?

Even if Haskins wasn’t a clown is he even that good? Haven’t seen anything from him to suggest he is any better than Mason Rudolph to be honest.

Mason is a worker, maybe if Haskins applied himself half as much the talent he showed in college would shine through in the pro game. It wasn’t a serious comment by myself anyway, Ben has a good 5 years left in him going on yesterday’s second half.

We would be his 8th AFC team I believe if he did, some going!!!!

• Advertisement

If Ben is staying then absolutely no chance, they are in deep cap poo after the season as it is, and Fitzmagic will want $7m - $10m per year. Too much money tied up in the position with Ben as it is.

Advertisement