Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cycling history & collecting

Options
  • 03-05-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in early Irish cycling history, late 19th-early 20th century and collect printed material such as books, maps and advertising material that's related. My earliest Irish item is dated 1891 and related to Britain 1884.

Was wondering if there's anyone else interested in this topic or collects similar items.

I have posted in the cycling forum also but as I'm more interested in the social history aspect just thought I'd try here.

Anyone else share my interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I am not particularly into cycling ,except as a fair weather cyclist for a tiny bit of exercise.

I am more into local, social and family history.

one source I see a lot is newspaper advertising. In the early years of the twentieth century there were many adverts for bicycles, their advantages for cycling into the unspoilt countryside and the affordable terms in which a cycle could be purchased.

I recently came across an advert with a picture of a bike, it was from Hynes of Kingstown, not a bike shop, but a pub,which had created a special area for cyclists, who would need refreshment after their cycle from the city, before making the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes, lots of hotels and other establishments advertised special rates and other inducements to passing cyclists. There was a craze for leisure cycling in the late 19th century that continued on into the 20th.
    Phillip P. Hynes & Co Tea, Wine & Spirit merchants were apparently on the corner of Patrick Street and Marine Road.
    Interesting photo of the premises here.
    http://dunlaoghairecounty.ie/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2269&sid=85478c07170ec9b316ece59412eae20a&start=275

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've no interest in cycling either but FWIW -
    Dunlop started as a bicycle tyre business – there is a good little book on the Dunlop story by Jim Cooke that contains many pictures, advert reproductions, etc.

Encouraging motorists/cyclists to travel outside cities was de rigeur from about 1900. The Michelin Guide (Guide Rouge) was launched to encourage travellers by providing information such as town maps, hotels, restaurants, places of interest, mechanics, etc. The roads were so bad the tyres would wear quickly and need replacement!

Peugeot started life as a bicycle manufacturer (and maker of coffee grinders).

Harold Mahony from Kerry (born while his parents were in Scotland) was killed in a Kerry cycling accident in 1905 – apparently he crashed into a ditch at the bottom of a steep hill. (I’ve an idea of the corner’s location but would love to know exactly where.) He was the first and only ‘Scotsman’ to win at Wimbledon until Andy Murray arrived; he also was an Olympic medallist for tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Peugeot started life as a bicycle manufacturer (and maker of coffee grinders).

Many, perhaps most, motor manufacturers started as cycle makers, Triumph comes to mind.
    Here in Ireland, John O'Neill started his bike shop in South King Street, then expanded to Great Brunswick (Pearse) Street, before getting a purpose built factory in Pleasants Street.
    With the economic war and protectionism, he assembled Dodge cars and trucks as well as Atkinson trucks. Prior to the arrival of Mercedes-Benx in Ireland about 1956, Dodge was the most popular large car here, most taxis and ministerial cars were Dodge (perhaps taximen bought ex ministerial cars) and were an everyday sight in the early 1960s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Moving from bikes – This possibly deserves a thread of its own??……..Really pushing my memory and dredging the past here!!
    A few more - BSA originally was a firearms manufacturer (British Small Arms).
    Dev and Sean T always were ferried around in Dodges (although Dev also had his Silver Wraith). I always thought that Tommy McCairns was the agent for Dodge? He assembled them in Santry, bringing in the kits CKD. He also assembled Bedford trucks there. What set him up properly (after his original deal with Gordon Selfridge) was the sale of part of the Champion agency. He also had GM and when CIE was created and moved from steam to diesel he got the commission on all the locomotives.
    The earliest of course is Ford, started with tractors, now celebrating 100 years here.
    Frank Cavy assembled Jaguars in Camden St. just after WW2. Later, in the 1950’s, Cecil Vard raced one of them in the Monte Carlo before he later witched to 911’s. (I remember him driving a gold 911 in the Circuit of Ireland in the 1960’s.)
    Stephen O’Flaherty used to work for Tommy McC as did TP Hogan who later went on to chair CIE. He had VW, Merc and Mitsubishi before the latter was acquired by Frank Keane (who started importing BMWs in 1966 (or 67?).
    Datsun (Nissan) was Kieran McLoughlin and the Arabs - al Babtain.
    Chrysler (Rootes) Simca, Renault, Borgward and lots of others were assembled here.
    Pedro,
    (Who is old enough to remember Peter Breen in Donnybrook and Eddie Jordan operating from a lock-up garage in a lane at the back of Leinster Rd and Arnie Poole putting a turbocharger on a Mini in c1969!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement