Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel Set Advice

Options
  • 21-02-2019 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a daily commuter and am thinking of changing wheelsets.
    I have the bike since 2011, which came with an Alex AS-14, double wall wheelset. That has never been changed. I stripped the bike down myself last year - just to learn a little more about bikes and upgraded a few components (cassette and front crankset) including cleaning the wheels as best I could.

But I'm thinking about changing the wheelset - to be fair, they are pretty true (as far as I can tell) despite all the abuse that they've taken, and I've only had one or two punctures in that time.. I'm a big lad and the wheels just dont feel that solid - or maybe I think it could be more solid. I always like the look of touring bike wheels/cycloscross wheels etc.

I'm wondering whether to change wheelsets, get a hand built set, or makybe bring it to a shop to add more spokes and perhaps a new hub/

Would appreciate any advice.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

If you are just commuting I’d suggest going for Mavic Aksiums.
    They are cheap, fast ,look fairly good and they are really strong.
    I’ve been using them a few years and never had a broken spoke.
    The freehub is easy to maintain as well.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksium-one-clincher-road-wheelset-75460.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-IE&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Factory+Road+Wheels&ucpo=17192&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CbPHa7027XgUEzrEWMa_P7KNxvoa0sMj2-v6dX2hxqy6tXRkvrSSVhoCbzMQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I've been using Aksiums for commuting as well for the last couple of years. Never had an issue and still running true, despite having to put up with some fairly rough road surfaces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had an issue with an aksium which required replacing it, but they actually fixed the flaw a couple of years ago, so it's not inherent in the new design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yeah, Aksiums for the winter weather and general riding at an affordable price. They're 'fit and forget' sort of wheels with really well sealed hubs. Just remember to give the spokes and nipples a wipe down after a wet ride to prevent corrosion. That's the only issue I've had with them in the past.

Tried Shimano. Great wheels with smooth hubs but I left mine too long before I serviced the hub (which you must do on a regular basis with Shimano) The hub shell was pitted. I tried to keep them going, but it was a losing battle and I had to give them up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd avoid Aksiums (Aksia?). They're non repairable when rims wear out so you have to throw them away. You'll get nice, capable commuter wheels on rose bikes built from replacable hubs and rims and for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd avoid Aksiums (Aksia?). They're non repairable when rims wear out so you have to throw them away. You'll get nice, capable commuter wheels on rose bikes built from replacable hubs and rims and for a reasonable price.

And I was about to purchase a set!!!
    Thanks for that.

As I say - I’m a large lad so want something strong. So should I just bring my current set to a wheel builder to add in more spokes and a new hub?

No, you cannot add spokes to an existing wheel.

This wheelset is only €145 delivered and includes a dynamo and the possibility of disc brakes. Both good future-proofing options.

Spend another €50 on front and rear lights (extra cable needed) (alternative rear brake light) and you've got a pretty good year-round commuter and touring setup.

Unless you're really heavy, a 32 spoke wheel is plenty. Wheels are a lot stronger than they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

As I say - I’m a large lad so want something strong. So should I just bring my current set to a wheel builder to add in more spokes and a new hub?

Really all you're doing then is keeping the rims. I think you would need all new spokes with a new hub. The hub is the expensive bit. May as well get new rim.

If you find a good builder they should be able to recommend hub, spokes and rims to to suit your weight and expected usage (commuting, off road etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thanks for that.

I’m a big lad using Aksiums for the past 4-5 years. No issue at all. They are built to last. Not hard wearing on the rims either. I got them checked in December 2017 as I had them a few years. They were as true as the day they left the factory. I’m getting a gravel bike soon with 650b wheels and I’m planning on getting a set of 700c aksiums for it for road use.

I’m getting a gravel bike soon with 650b wheels and I’m planning on getting a set of 700c aksiums for it for road use.

Oh don't do that! Nice fat slicks on the 650b will be just as fast and so much more comfy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Oh don't do that! Nice fat slicks on the 650b will be just as fast and so much more comfy...

Then I’d be changing tyres. Nah. Aksiums it will most likely be. Never had an issue with them. Great wheels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect a useful question would be where you might be based - someone here might be local to you and know where's a decent shop for wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm a larger gentleman myself. I couldn't fault the Campagnolo Khamsin wheelset. I had a Mavic Aksium give out on me along with a similarly priced Shimano wheel (2 spokes within 15 minutes of each other). The G3 spoke pattern on Campagnolo wheels holds very strong. I'm not too delicate over speed bumps or anything and haven't had any issues.

You'll probably need them trued every so often as a heavier rider but they can take a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been 100kgs plus or minus 5kgs for near 4 winters on a set of Aksium Elites and they have been bombproof for me. The elites are a far better wheel than normal Aksuims.

Advertisement