Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Marvel (2019)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

My two cents, this argument is complete dung and is PC numbskullery.

However in the interests of research, I have researched Brie Larson's behind and find that it is a level 8 on the dingdong scale of behinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's too short to be a double for Brie, who is at least 5' 7". Must be for someone else. Johansson maybe.

My money's on Sam Jackson. He wore a long trenchcoat in his previous appearances. Maybe in this film it'll be revealed he got an ass that won't quit.

#bodypositivity

Edit: Wait... Sam Jackson isn't 5' 4" either. Never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In all seriousness though, it's quite possible that due to the nature and abilities of some of the enemies in the movie (
    shape-shifting aliens
    ), it's not out of the question that Brie Larson may need a body double for some scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

?width=360&version=3876705

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Zachary Levi is giving impressionable young body conscious boys a terrible message with his padded muscle suit in Shazam as well.

Dammm you Hollywood Damm you to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭brevity

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I like a poster who lives by their username.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gollar

Pter wrote: »
    1) If you cant substantiate your points with links because you are new, maybe get your post count up enough to do so before starting a discussion.
    2) No way im typing that into my computer at work. For security reasons, if not also because it wont give me the exact source you are quoting.

You at work 24/7?
    You don't have a mobile phone on you?
    You would rather remain in willful ignorance?
    Any of the results on page one of google search will back up what i posted

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gollar

Zachary Levi is giving impressionable young body conscious boys a terrible message with his padded muscle suit in Shazam as well.

Dammm you Hollywood Damm you to hell.

A padded suit is one thing, but pretending that someone else butt is yours is another, especially if you put yourself forward as a feminist icon.

gollar wrote: »
    You at work 24/7?

I am not being willfully ignorant. Its extremely reasonable for me to expect people to back up their points and not just tell me to 'google it'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

You at work 24/7?
    This has to be one of the saddest attempts to be outraged I've seen. Did you just register on the site to post how outraged you are that you seen something somewhere on the internet that may or may not be what you are claiming it to be?

A padded suit is one thing, but pretending that someone else butt is yours is another, especially if you put yourself forward as a feminist icon.

See now my issue with this is that you have set your stall out as not being able / wanting to back up what you say; instead expecting others to convince themselves of what you are saying.....

So will you give us examples of her putting herself forward like this?

Better yet;

Will you give us examples of her swearing never to use a double because of her feminist beliefs?

Even better still:

Will you show us how having a stunt double that looks like her is the things you say it is?

I doubt the answer to any of these is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm starting to think its racism that stops Tom Cruise using Terry Crews as a body double.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Captain Marvel has jumped the first hurdle of being well received by verified Twitter heads who have seen it, with particular praise for Larson.

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-early-reactions-epic-nostalgic-blast/

You mean praise for Larson's stunt double, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Pter you're being a bit of a hypocrite here considering you use a butt double yourself.

Fourier wrote:
    Pter you're being a bit of a hypocrite here considering you use a butt double yourself.

My double uses a double too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I thought this was in relation to when they swapped Tom Holland's and brie Larson's butt lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

she is no Wonder Woman

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yep that Caitlin Dechelle is something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Some early Twitter impressions

473622.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say all credit to Marvel if the early reactions can be taken at their word. CM has spent a long time on the development road and they had to take criticism along the way over the lack of female representation.

They dicked around with Black Widow and were fortunate to strike gold with Shuri, but it looks like they hit a home run here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As sure as the sun sets in the ... *googles* west, Twitter early reviews are surely hyperbolic.

pixelburp wrote: »
    As sure as the sun sets in the ... *googles* west, Twitter early reviews are surely hyperbolic.

Yeah but better positive hyperbole than negative hyperbole though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pter wrote: »
    Yeah but better positive hyperbole than negative hyperbole though?

Both as bad as each other really, and at least negative hyperbole can result in the happiness of exceeded expectations, the reverse tends to lead to disappointment and griping about how XYZ wasn't as good as promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I can't remember a movie getting bad social media reviews, even if it turned out to be bad.

If they let you see it a month before everyone else it comes with the unwritten rule to be positive about the movie.

This and Ant Man and the Wasp I had 0 interest in. Ant Man and the Wasp backed up my feelings by being one of Marvels worst (in my opinion). Can't imagine a character who is horrifically boring in the comics will be of much entertainment on the screen. Maybe I will end up eating my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Mokuba wrote: »
    I can't remember a movie getting bad social media reviews, even if it turned out to be bad.

Indeed. It's all about how the 'review' is phrased in a 280 character tweet. When the reviewer uses non-committal words like 'different', 'not what I expected, but good for fans of the franchise', 'fans won't be disappointed', or focus on things like 'great special effects', 'a great soundtrack', etc., you can be almost guaranteed the film will receive a lukewarm or a middling aggregated critics' score.

The people on social media invited to these premieres aren't going to bite the hand that feeds their social media profile/job. Particularly, when the people 'reviewing' on social media aren't from the big publishers or names in the business, like the Guardian or Variety or Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Falthyron wrote: »
    Indeed. It's all about how the 'review' is phrased in a 280 character tweet. When the reviewer uses non-committal words like 'different', 'not what I expected, but good for fans of the franchise', 'fans won't be disappointed', or focus on things like 'great special effects', 'a great soundtrack', etc., you can be almost guaranteed the film will receive a lukewarm or a middling aggregated critics' score.

The people on social media invited to these premieres aren't going to bite the hand that feeds their social media profile/job. Particularly, when the people 'reviewing' on social media aren't from the big publishers or names in the business, like the Guardian or Variety or Empire.

Uh oh.. I see my first 'blast!' in a review..
    I noticed around the time that Solo's early reviews came out that it was consistantly referenced with 'this movie is a blast!' in a lot of reviews.
    As best as I can ascertain, 'it's a blast!' seems to be a polite euphamism for 'noisy garbage'.

I doubt you can expect much better from the official reviews either, now that the Fox/Disney merger is going ahead, Disney will be responsible for 40% of all movies hitting the theater this year.... issue a bad review at your own cost I'd say...

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/7/16617394/la-times-disney-media-ban-blackout

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Ignore first reaction twitter reviews. It's mainly people who are just giddy at being at premiere.

Even Batman vs Superman had glowing reviews along the lines of;

"Unlike anything i've ever seen. My brain literally melted and started pouring out of my nostrils. This is a milestone in filmaking."

Pure hyper bowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

They don't call themselves influencers for nothing. When Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gives it 5 stars then I'll know it's not that great.

Advertisement