Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax refund

Options
  • 31-10-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Was contacted by taxback.com today informing me of my estimated tax refund for previous 4 years. Had contacted them earlier in the week and provided the relevant info etc..

Turns out im due a nice amount but was amazed at the commission they take.

I then went onto myrevenue and requested P21's for the previous 4 years and updated my bank details onto my profile. Am I right in assuming you only need to request the P21s online and then revenue simply send refund to your bank account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Yup. I do it every year for me and the husband and we usually get about €500 back between the 2 of us.
    If you have your revenue correspondence by online not post you’ll have the P21’s in your revenue inbox in 2 days or so then they’ll send any monies straight to your bank account. There is also the possibility that you could owe them money back when you request balancing statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Was contacted by taxback.com today informing me of my estimated tax refund for previous 4 years. Had contacted them earlier in the week and provided the relevant info etc..

Turns out im due a nice amount but was amazed at the commission they take.

I then went onto myrevenue and requested P21's for the previous 4 years and updated my bank details onto my profile. Am I right in assuming you only need to request the P21s online and then revenue simply send refund to your bank account?

Why did you go to taxback in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why did you go to taxback in the first place?

Had no idea how to do it online but then a colleague told me how to do it online.

What im wondering though is if I did it correctly? are there other steps after requesting the p21s?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Simply Requesting a P21 on MyAccount will only return the data revenue have collected from their direct sources such as pay from employment/pension, Deasp income etc. If you have items such as medical expenses or tuition fees etc to claim for you need to declare those as Revenue won’t know otherwise.

OP said “provided relevant info etc”. Was there anything in that such as meds etc? Which may have contributed to the refunds. If you want to get that reflected on a P21 need to file the eForm12 in full.

Stratvs wrote: »
    Simply Requesting a P21 on MyAccount will only return the data revenue have collected from their direct sources such as pay from employment/pension, Deasp income etc. If you have items such as medical expenses or tuition fees etc to claim for you need to declare those as Revenue won’t know otherwise.

OP said “provided relevant info etc”. Was there anything in that such as meds etc? Which may have contributed to the refunds. If you want to get that reflected on a P21 need to file the eForm12 in full.

No this was simply a refund of income tax, i didnt have any amendments on form 12.

are there extra steps to take in terms of paye refund other than requesting p21s?

• Advertisement

No this was simply a refund of income tax, i didnt have any amendments on form 12.

are there extra steps to take in terms of paye refund other than requesting p21s?

If the only income is PAYE and no other items such as meds etc. then requesting a P21 should suffice. The interesting thing is why there appears to be a refund at all. If your tax credits were in order the years should normally balance. It isn’t automatic that people just get a tax refund for no reason. Things like gaps in employment or emergency tax or where taxable Deasp income is less than tax credits etc that can sometimes result in refunds.

If the result on P21 doesn’t look right, you can always request a revision once within the 4 year rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Did you actually sign up with tax back.com?
    If you did they register with Revenue as your agent, and add their bank details to your account. Even if you request a P21 or complete a Form 12 yourself online then the refund goes to them first, they take their cut, then pass the rest on to you.
    To remove them as your agent you would need to contact Revenue, as they will keep overwriting any changes you make to your bank details online.

If you did they register with Revenue as your agent, and add their bank details to your account. Even if you request a P21 or complete a Form 12 yourself online then the refund goes to them first, they take their cut, then pass the rest on to you.
    To remove them as your agent you would need to contact Revenue, as they will keep overwriting any changes you make to your bank details online.

I signed up but only asked them to provide estimate. I never gave go ahead for them to claim on my behalf.

They were on myrevenue account as my agent but I deleted this and put up my own bank account details. Surely I have a right to get an estimate before committing to use the service that was my understanding.

I have now got my p21s for previous 4 years (requested them yesterday). How long will I be waiting for refund to be paid?

I have now got my p21s for previous 4 years (requested them yesterday). How long will I be waiting for refund to be paid?

Usually only a few days. Sometimes if amounts are large may be held pending human review then cleared if all is ok. Everything so far has been electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

This appears to be happening to me with a different agent. There are no bank details for that agent though and whenever i try to add mine and remove that agent it keeps overwriting any changes i make. Surely this shouldn't be the case? I'll contact them in the morning regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

You need to contact Revenue and get the agent taken off record. When you sign up with them, you're giving them permission to act on your behalf for your tax affairs... and that includes receiving payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Got the agent removed in the end... was just a bit slow updating on the revenue website.

Advertisement