Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double taxation with USA

• 18-02-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to go to USA next September to teach. My contract is from September 2019 until August 2020. As I will be paying the relevant taxes in the USA does this mean if I have any savings at the end of my contract that they will be exempt from tax in Ireland due to double taxation?

I am currently teaching in Ireland until September 2019 and will be returning to my teaching position in Ireland in September 2020

Should I phone revenue on this matter as I'm finding it a little difficult to understand.

Like if I save 5000€ can I transfer it to my bank account at home without having to worry about any tax issues. I understand there will be bank charges and exchange rates etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Double taxation doest NOT necessarily mean that you will pay no taxes in Ireland as you are still tax resident here so taxed on worldwide income.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence

What DT, in general terms, means is that if you pay 18% in US and are liable at 40% here then you pay the 40% here and get credit for the 18%

The 5,000 to which you refer is not an issue as it will be from taxes income

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Double taxation doest NOT necessarily mean that you will pay no taxes in Ireland as you are still tax resident here so taxed on worldwide income.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence

What DT, in general terms, means is that if you pay 18% in US and are liable at 40% here then you pay the 40% here and get credit for the 18%

The 5,000 to which you refer is not an issue as it will be from taxed income

Just wondering, am I right about the general thrust/terms of DT's as stated above?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement