Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil-Free -v- Oil-Filled radiators ?

• 20-12-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I am buying one of those portable radiators cos i am reezing !

Whats the difference between Oil-Free and Oil-Filled radiators ?

There is a 100 euro difference in the price with oil-free cheaper (both 3KW)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

That answers my question so.
    twice the head, and half the time feor 100euro cheaper !

NEW PRODUCT

Features

* Unique oil free heating technology offers rapid warm up and approximately 50% more heat in half the time (compared to an equivalent output oil filled column radiator).
    * As effective at 1kW as a 2kW oil filled column radiator.
    * Independently operating heating elements (Mono/dual panel control).
    * Electronic Climate Control with highly accurate thermostatic control (to within +/- 0.5°c) and built in electronic 24 hour programmable timer (CDE2ECC & CDE3ECC).
    * 24 hour programmable timer (CDE2Ti).
    * Range of models with outputs of 2kW or 3kW.
    * Backlit LCD display (CDE2ECC & CDE3ECC).
    * Remote control (CDE2ECC & CDE3ECC).
    * Integral cable tidy.
    * Easy glide castors.
    * 5 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

hi
    did you try one these rads after. im looking for one. which is better oil free or oil filled. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i am very happy with my oil free rad. its in a big enough room and can heat it up within a minute. Also has a timer that can be set (not very easily though) to come on 5min before the alarm does.

very worth while for the winter months :)

thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I think the main difference is that "back-in-the-day" oil was use to store the heat. Basically an oil filled radiator didn't rust from the inside and once the volume of oil was heated it stayed warm for longer.

So I would assume that an oil free radiator would be used more short term. So if you come into a room and wanted it heated quickly you would switch it on and then when finished in that room switch it off. An oil filled radiator would be left on a minimum power setting "ticking over".

Oil free: Temporary heat.
    Oil filled: Continuous use over the day/night.

Someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct.

(Personally I used an oil filled radiator in a old room I used to rent. I left it on a low power setting over night just to give the room a bit of warmth in the winter. I didn't spend any time there during the day.)

• Advertisement

im using it as my main heating a mobile home so an oil filled rad would prob be the best as il want the heat to las abit after i switch it off

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Hi all
    Could anyone tell me if it is possible to get an oil free radiator repaired I think the element is gone and I was just wondering if it would be better just to buy a new one? Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement