Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to go to with problems? SU unhelpful

Options
  • 03-01-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, I'm looking for some advice for my brother. I don't know anything about LIT myself and don't know where to turn.

My brother is studying automation and robotics. He says the department head of engineering suddenly quit and now there's nobody to complain to about his course. The course he applied to was a level 7, for 3 years. Now they're all doing different modules to those they were originally expecting, and are expected to do 4th year. It seems they've changed the whole course to make everyone do the level 8 version, without telling them. Can they do that? My brother didn't even have the points for the course he now seems to be doing.

His mental health has absolutely fallen apart with the stress of not knowing what's going on. He can't afford to fail and repeat a year because he depends on SUSI, but the workload is just overwhelming him, because it's for a more advanced course he never signed up for! He went to the students union and they suggested a unanimous strike (which the class didn't want because they need to be learning) or to contact the head of department...but there isn't one? Who else can he contact?

Also, he said there's been talk of cancelling the course for a year. He's terrified if he complains to the lecturers, they'll do it. Surely that can't actually happen, can it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkerton

Any updates on your brothers course, I was thinking about doing this course next year

• Registered Users Posts: 18 maracuja

Kind of, there is a new head of department now but not a lot has really changed. If it's the level 7 you're thinking of doing, you might want to check with them to see what modules you'll actually have. On their website it doesn't list maths for 3rd year, but that's definitely there now and some other modules are different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pinkerton

maracuja wrote: »
    Kind of, there is a new head of department now but not a lot has really changed. If it's the level 7 you're thinking of doing, you might want to check with them to see what modules you'll actually have. On their website it doesn't list maths for 3rd year, but that's definitely there now and some other modules are different as well.

Best of luck with it all

Advertisement