Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't want a security alarm

Options
  • 12-02-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an alarm for someone who doesn't want an alarm? I don't like them, they are intrusive and ugly, and someone plasters their brand onto the front of your house.... I need one to 1. Satisfy the insurance company. 2. To tie up all the lose wires around my house.

Is there a non monitored system, that's not ugly, with a nice keypad, a mobile app etc...?

I already have Arlo cameras.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There are many many posts here recommending alarms.

The most popular are HKC, Siemens, GSD.

They all have apps. There are different running costs, see the sticky.

You can get a minimum install if you don't want much coverage.

Google the different key pads to see which ones you like best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

You considered getting a dog?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

degsie wrote:
    You considered getting a dog?

OP wants an alarm to get the cables in their house cleaned up and to satisfy the insurance company. A dog will address neither of the two conditions in the OP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rather then trying to satisfy your home insurance, probably better to remove the alarm from it.

The home insurance requires a PSA installed system which is maintained yearly, which would limit your options. It also gives the insurance an excuse to not pay out if you forget to arm it and their is a break in.

The relatively small discount is not worth the risk IMO.

If you remove the alarm from the insurance, then one of the DIY systems might be an option for you.

I've a Yale Smart Alarm system. No panel, it has a hub that is hand sized and just plugs into your router. App that gives you free remote monitoring and control. The keypad isn't too slick, but it is smaller and wireless so you could always hide it away in the cupboard as a backup and instead just use the app or keyfob to arm/disarm it. My missus only ever uses the app to arm/disarm, never uses our keypad.

Downside is that no shock sensors, basic contacts only and single path comms, no GSM backup.

Note their is a new model now, Yale Sync, I've the older one.

Another similar option is the Honeywell Evohome Alarm. It is similar to the Yale, but uses GPRS for it's comms (single path too). I think Phonewatch is a rebrand of a version of this alarm system.

Somfy and Smanos are also interesting options worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, TBH the more I look at it, the more I think it's worth expanding the Arlo system...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

bk wrote: »
    Rather then trying to satisfy your home insurance, probably better to remove the alarm from it.

The home insurance requires a PSA installed system which is maintained yearly, which would limit your options.

I have not seen that clause on home insurance policy. I have insured with a number of companies over the years.
    Paraphrasing
    Q: Do you an approved burglar alarm? If so is it monitored or not monitored?

Many homes have alarms installed well before the emergence of the PSA
    Perhaps your policy is different.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cerco wrote: »
    I have not seen that clause on home insurance policy. I have insured with a number of companies over the years.
    Paraphrasing
    Q: Do you an approved burglar alarm? If so is it monitored or not monitored?

Many homes have alarms installed well before the emergence of the PSA
    Perhaps your policy is different.

You need to dig into the terms and conditions, it is normally there.

Either way I still wouldn't risk it, it just gives them an excuse not to pay out, just not worth it IMO.

Advertisement