Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone watch upgrade

Options
  • 11-02-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

We're thinking of upgrading our phone watch monitored alarm to the newer gsm version. Has anyone done this? What are the advantages? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Icsics wrote: »
    We're thinking of upgrading our phone watch monitored alarm to the newer gsm version. Has anyone done this? What are the advantages? Thanks

When you say upgrading do you meant the whole system to the newer one?
    If so have a look around the forum, the new system locked you to them as no one else can monitor the system.

If you mean adding a GSM to the system then this can be easily done without the need to have a new system installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

altor wrote: »
    When you say upgrading do you meant the whole system to the newer one?
    If so have a look around the forum, the new system locked you to them as no one else can monitor the system.

If you mean adding a GSM to the system then this can be easily done without the need to have a new system installed.

Yes, its the new system we're interested in

Icsics wrote: »
    Yes, its the new system we're interested in

Not sure what you have in place at the moment but with the newer system an intruder is in your home before it activates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

altor wrote: »
    Not sure what you have in place at the moment but with the newer system an intruder is in your home before it activates.

The newer phone watch systems can be speced with shock sensors AFAIK, so the above isn't true.

I'm not recommending phone watch, but best to be accurate about this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

bk wrote: »
    The newer phone watch systems can be speced with shock sensors AFAIK, so the above isn't true.

Yes. They can , but they charge you for each device even though you are only renting it. I have seen cases where they also increase the monthly charges because they are monitoring an extra device.:eek:

OP . If you switch to their newer system you will be tied to PW for the life of that system.If you ever want to change you will have to fork out for a new system from scratch again.
    Do a search of this forum re PW. You will be enlightened.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know, didnt realize they are using them now with the system.
    One thing I note from the website is they dont use them as standard in the packages they offer and have to be requested.

Advertisement