Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinegar in washing machine

Options
  • 01-02-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Got a load of good towels but there's a smell of linament from them . Washed at 60 but they still smell . heard about vinegar but when do I put it in the machine and does it stink the next wash thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

I tried it in the same place where you put the clothes and it worked.

It"s also important that you leave the machine open for some hours after this cleaning and after every wash, especially in winter, or the smell will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've used vinegar in washes for clothes that get that damp smell a good few times. It works great and the washing machine is grand for the next wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

With a smell of linament coming off the clothes it sounds as if it was on them going in, usually when the machine gets older and the clothes smell of a damp cardboard type smell it is from a build up of sludge stuck to the inners of the outer tub. this presents itself as black patches on the rubber gasket which is very hard to remove but not impossible.(an acid solution is required) To shift the build up of sludge when I have a machine in for repair I put it on a 90 wash and add about two cups of washing soda, this usually sorts it but occasionally it may take two washes. Leaving the door ajar after the wash prevents this.

Advertisement