Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Six Degrees is one of my favourites
    Dream Theater have confirmed that their forthcoming album will be a double-LP rock opera titled The Astonishing. This episodic narrative, in the tradition of earlier concept albums like 2002’s Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, turns on an effort by the Ravenskill Rebel Militia to overthrow the Great Northern Empire of the Americas in the year 2285.
    The empire, as laid out in a pair of newly emailed releases from Dream Theater, follows “Lord Nafaryus, Emperor and Head of the Realm [and] Heir to the Mantle of Makers,” who sternly warns the populace that giving into the rebels will lead to a “destabilization of our most hallowed traditions.” Ravenskill, meanwhile, is led by “Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of three remaining heirs to the displaced, forgotten, and forbidden Legion of Sorrowful Song.” He’s asking his followers to “dream of finding power beyond powerlessness.”
    Dream Theater are promoting the upcoming work with a new splash page at their website, which asks fans to “choose wisely” between the two forces.
    No official street date has been announced yet for The Astonishing, the follow-up to Dream Theater’s 2013 self-titled album. But the band has already revealed a series of European tour dates, beginning in mid-February, during which the new album will be played in its entirety.

Read More: Dream Theater Will Release a Double-Album Rock Opera, 'The Astonishing' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dream-theater-the-astonishing/?trackback=tsmclip

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Track Listing for The Astonishing

ACT I
    1. Descent of the NOMACS
    2. Dystopian Overture
    3. The Gift of Music
    4. The Answer
    5. A Better Life
    6. Lord Nafaryus
    7. A Savior in the Square
    8. When Your Time Has Come
    9. Act of Faythe
    10. Three Days
    11. The Hovering Sojourn
    12. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
    13. A Life Left Behind
    14. Ravenskill
    15. Chosen
    16. A Tempting Offer
    17. Digital Discord
    18. The X Aspect
    19. A New Beginning
    20. The Road to Revolution

ACT II
    1. 2285 Entr'acte
    2. Moment of Betrayal
    3. Heaven's Cove
    4. Begin Again
    5. The Path That Divides
    6. Machine Chatter
    7. The Walking Shadow
    8. My Last Farewell
    9. Losing Faythe
    10. Whispers on the Wind
    11. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
    12. Our New World
    13. Power Down
    14. Astonishing

The Astonishing album art

12274498_10153118178087181_7364854270494537911_n.jpg?oh=d09fe2d2d5c7c56fe0670e575a919474&oe=56D9C463

Track from the new album

Album will be released January 29th 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't hate it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a long-ish piece on the album in Rolling Stone magazine, here, including an interview with John Petrucci.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A new album trailer is out:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

Listening to The Astonishing right now, bout half way through... Different, very different to what i was expecting it to be, based on the Dream Theater albums from Road Runner. And especially the unmemorable output since Mangini joined. But this Its incredible so far, has a bit of a Wall vibe to it. James LaBrie sounds the best he has since Awake.. this will be in my personal top 3 for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Working my way through it alright, getting there over time. Lord nayfarus is only bad one so far. It's bloody ridiculous, but the good parts are vintage DT which is great to see/hear.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good to hear the positive responses here, really hoping its decent

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Listened to it earlier and two words that come to mind are forgettable and long.

Will give it another few listens before making my mind up on it, but I don't think there's enough quality in the album to justify over 2 hours of music.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Giving it a listen at the minute. Not too bad, but I really need to sit down and have a proper listen to it.

It's definitely different in parts, and I commend them for doing that at this point in their career. Some parts are classic DT sounding, which I like, and then a lot of it is their more modern sound (big choruses with open chords and LaBrie over it) which I tend to get tired of. 50/50 for now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hope it's good moment to resurrect old thread.

New album to be released in approx 3 weeks (22th Feb).

471561.jpg

There will be a range of options to choose from, including CDs, vinyls, DVD/blurays (with 5.1 upgraded tracks) etc.

One of tracks is on the tube already:

Even though I am lifetime fan of DT I have strong feeling that I heard that before - did they run out of fresh ideas? Obviously can say nothing about the rest of the album yet and I really hope I'm wrong.

Unregistered Users

New album out!

Again, that "I heard that before" feeling, but this time nowhere near as strong as with previous album. 8/10.

Track #7 however, absolute killer! 10/10.

In overall, would definately recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Delighted to hear this, never liked mangini, wasn't a good fit for the band imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

An absolutely amazing drummer but compared to Portnoy he's boring as hell to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Alipiama

Never was a fan of prog metal but some of their songs are masterpiece!

Unregistered Users

Advertisement