Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpies how to get rid of them?

Options
  • 20-02-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Living in the country , recently we seem to have alot more Magpies around , for years we had alot of pied details, robins and the like frequenting the garden and patio area out back.
    Since the arrival of the magpies thats all we seem to have bloody magpies 3 or 4 of em constantly around the place.

How can I get rid of them , should I just get em shot?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Living in the country , recently we seem to have alot more Magpies around , for years we had alot of pied details, robins and the like frequenting the garden and patio area out back.
    Since the arrival of the magpies thats all we seem to have bloody magpies 3 or 4 of em constantly around the place.

You should put up some nestboxes, plant some more cover shrubs and trees etc etc,and for open nestboxes put done chicken wire around them to avoid predation.

You're overestimating the impact of the Magpies. And if you get them shot more Magpies will move in, so it's a very very temporary solution. Try to do things that will work long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Get a Larsen trap and you’ll dent their numbers fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Get a Larsen trap and you’ll dent their numbers fairly well.
    Until their replacements turn up - and they will turn up sooner rather than later.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Until their replacements turn up - and they will turn up sooner rather than later.

Send them the same way too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bottom line is, it's pointless because Magpies do not have a detrimental impact on songbird numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I like Magpies

Ah yeah, apart from the egg stealing and chick eating bit they’re grand, love the noise they make too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Get one of these, we use them on the golf course and they are great... might scare everything away though...
    s-l400.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Ah yeah, apart from the egg stealing and chick eating bit they’re grand, love the noise they make too.
    i hate songbirds because they eat the caterpillars of beautiful butterflies.

raptors predating other birds = nature. magpies predating on other birds = thuggery, seemingly.

i suspect the reason many people hate magpies is because they're bloody clever and it unnerves many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

i hate songbirds because they eat the caterpillars of beautiful butterflies.

raptors predating other birds = nature. magpies predating on other birds = thuggery, seemingly.

i suspect the reason many people hate magpies is because they're bloody clever and it unnerves many people.

Superstition too. The priest would've told them the magpie never cried at the crucifixion of Jesus or that seeing one of them is bad luck nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another superstition i've heard is that irish people hate them because they arrived with cromwell. i suspect they were here long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Wouldn't say that at all, many people enjoy the song birds, magpies are vermin and just wreck the place.

I have feeders out the back, we had all sorts of finches, robins etc that used to come then the magpies arrived one year and the small birds disappeared. I put wire around the feeders but they were eventually torn off the tree from the magpies and crows. Larsen trap worked a treat, magpies gone amd song birds back. Iv shot 2 magpies in the garden since and that was a couple of years ago.

OP if ya can shoot them then do, if ya can trap them then do. What part of the country are you in? Could you shoot in your garden?

i have magpies in the back garden. some are building a nest in the big birch.
    i also have wrens, robins, loads of sparrows, blackbirds, the odd goldcrest, the odd blackcap, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Trap them and dispose of humanly.

We had what seemed like a load few years ago, got a larcen trap and caught 17 mags.
    It was amazing next year the increase in numbers of small birds without their nests being constant raided by mags.

They had started taking eggs from the chickens

See some about again so must dust off the trap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Magpies nest within 100 metres of my garden.

Magpies predated a Robin nest in my garden last summer.

Later in the year I caught and ringed 4 Robins in my garden (size: smaller than a tennis court) in a 24hr period, and a fifth remained unringed. Magpies impacted that breeding attempt, but the number of Robins in the garden/locality was not impacted. This happens up and down the country and Robins are still one of the most common birds we have. The same logic and lesson is true for countless other species.

I've had 25-30 species of songbird in my garden since the start of December. A suburban garden, in a housing estate, around half a tennis court in size. Magpies are present on a daily basis.

If you want to improve conditions for songbirds in your garden, trapping or shooting magpies would be a waste of your time.

Note that Magpies predating chicken eggs is a completely artificial scenario causing some bias for the earlier poster ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Living in Galway City and I have Blue Tits, Gold Finches Starlings Robins and Sparrows coming to the feeder I also have a daily visit from two Magpies who have never scared the birds off or to my knowledge killed any, the other half loves to see them there. Cannot believe the number of Gold Finches coming in for Niger seed sometimes I have counted 20 on the ground and 4 on the feeder guys on the ground taking the seeds that fall off the feeder they are very messy birds when eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Is there cats around your area, they'd have no bother killing them, just for fun. I seen it with my own eyes. Ive a fairly big garden and we leave one side of it wild , we dont cut or trim any branchs and its the perfect environment for the birds to fly in and out of going to the feeder nearby . Theres also loads of magpies pigeons and corvids as well and i havent noticed any less songbirds in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is there cats around your area, they'd have no bother killing them, just for fun. I seen it with my own eyes. Ive a fairly big garden and we leave one side of it wild , we dont cut or trim any branchs and its the perfect environment for the birds to fly in and out of going to the feeder nearby . Theres also loads of magpies pigeons and corvids as well and i havent noticed any less songbirds in the area.

Yes there are around 4 cats but they all have collars with bells if I'm there and see them I turn the hose on them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We have magpies in the process of building a nest in one of our fruit trees. Since they started I haven't had to fill my bird feeders as the smaller birds are seemingly staying away. Normally our garden is a haven for birds and insects and I don't want these magpies right in the thick of it. Normally there's a few around, but where they've set themselves up is right in the flight path of my outhouse where I have swallows nesting every year. I'm not going to get a larsen trap or anything like that but I need to get rid of this nest and deter them from nesting so close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have magpies in the process of building a nest in one of our fruit trees. Since they started I haven't had to fill my bird feeders as the smaller birds are seemingly staying away. Normally our garden is a haven for birds and insects and I don't want these magpies right in the thick of it. Normally there's a few around, but where they've set themselves up is right in the flight path of my outhouse where I have swallows nesting every year. I'm not going to get a larsen trap or anything like that but I need to get rid of this nest and deter them from nesting so close.

Deter them if you wish but check the legality of removing the nest.

• Advertisement

Also note that it's the breeding season so the number of birds in gardens has dropped off dramatically in gardens right across the country, whether they have Magpies or not.

Correlation doesn't necessarily equate to causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Deter them if you wish but check the legality of removing the nest.

From Birdwatching Ireland

⇒ What is the legal position in relation to the control of Magpie numbers?

Largely because Magpies eat the young of intensively reared gamebirds, the law states that an authorised person may kill them at any time of the year or destroy their nests. An authorised person would be the landowner or someone acting with the permission of the landowner. The use of poison is illegal in most cases and is not recommended as a method of control for Magpies, particularly in suburban circumstances. Care should be taken to ensure that it is indeed Magpies that are occupying a Magpie’s nest that is to be destroyed, as they are often used by other species.

I am actually surrounded by gun club lands that are populated by pheasants. They are still in the process of building it, we were watching them most of yesterday and they were filling it most of the day. I wouldn't touch it if there was eggs in it but it's still too early for eggs?

i have a birch tree in the garden where magpies are building a nest, and i have my bird feeder not much more than 10m from the tree. activity at the bird feeder is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that destroying any bird nest during the breeding season is illegal. The shooting of magpies and grey crows is allowd all year round under derogation. This does not include the destruction of their nests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Be careful one for sorrow two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy. You could ruin your life taking on these bastards!;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Eddie B wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that destroying any bird nest during the breeding season is illegal. The shooting of magpies and grey crows is allowd all year round under derogation. This does not include the destruction of their nests.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with that specific piece of legislation, but, by logic, I'd have thought that killing birds during their nesting period would be tantamount to destroying their nest (as their offsprings would likely starve/die of thirst/be prone to be attacked by predators, insects, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

You wont have to worry about Magpies or most other birds in the years to come, bird numbers have halved since the 1970's, country is sterilized, drove through county Kilkenny today, huge fields, few ditches, hedgerows slashed, roadside trees slashed, fly numbers decimated, worms facing the same dilemma, pesticides causing untold damage , roadside verges abound with litter, instead of getting rid of these birds, crows, songbirds too, ye should be more concerned with conserving and encouraging them with food in your gardens....
    Charles Coughlan
    Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 17,676 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Magpies are dirty rotten vermin. They seem to have taken over the countryside in the last 10 years. Very hard to shoot also as they're very smart so you may need to look for other solutions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I am always surprised that anyone who likes and feeds birds would despise a bird because it is a magpie. I think it is really unfair that the have such a negative image
    that is mainly based on superstition. They are beautiful to look at, very interesting and extremely intelligent birds.

They are very complex and social birds. The “chatter” noise they make is a warning call to other magpies and usually means a cat is lurking nearby :)

I counted 12 in a tree recently at my house and there are two that come into my garden daily when I throw out scraps for the crows. They are building a nest near by I imagine.

I also put out seed for smaller birds and have sparrows, robins, blue tits, coaltits, blackbirds, finches etc. They hide in bushes and come out and feed on the ground and from feeders the same way if any other predator was around and with the same risks.

If it’s not magpies it is other birds of prey, cats or foxes. Small birds naturally have predators, only a tiny amount of birds that hatch even survive so I don’t think they have a huge detrimental affect. Many birds are nesting at the moment so may not be feeding as much as usual. Of course you can put measures in place to try stop them getting access to eggs such as nest boxes but it is also important to realise a lot chicks born don’t survive which is just nature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

bogman wrote: »
    You wont have to worry about Magpies or most other birds in the years to come, bird numbers have halved since the 1970's, country is sterilized, drove through county Kilkenny today, huge fields, few ditches, hedgerows slashed, roadside trees slashed, fly numbers decimated, worms facing the same dilemma, pesticides causing untold damage , roadside verges abound with litter, instead of getting rid of these birds, crows, songbirds too, ye should be more concerned with conserving and encouraging them with food in your gardens....
    Charles Coughlan
    Cork

Completely agree with this. Hedgerows and ditches being slashed and the wide use of pesticides means our little birds don’t have the correct food and nutrition to eat and die as a result. They need specific insects depending on species and pesticides are having a huge knock on affect. Butterfly populations are dwindling. It is just more noticeable to us as it happens to be an insect “we like”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement