Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DN700 Economics UCD

Options
  • 22-01-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all. Just looking to get some students thst are doing Economics as part of a joint major in DN700.

1)I do Ordinary Level Maths and I see if I don't get a 03 I will have to take an introductory mathematics module. Does this coincide with an exam at the end of the module? And if someone failed the module would they have to drop Economics as a joint major and continue with a single? Have there been many people struggling with the maths workload in economics?

2)would you advise an OL Maths student not to take on Economics at UCD? And would I need to excel at OL (e.g have grades at 02 and 01) to stand a chance of doing well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

If you are someone who doesn't like Maths or is very poor at it then I would not recommend taking Economics at degree level as it is quite a Mathematical based degree, especially in the latter stages.

In first year you will take some introductory economics courses, similar to whats covered in the Leaving Cert, along with some statistics classes.

In second year you take calculus and more statistics (which includes some computer programming) . The economics modules in 2nd year also have algebra and calculus in them.

If you find Algebra, Calculus and Statisics in the Leaving Cert manageable then you'll be OK, if not then avoid Economics, as there is plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jbloggs1245

JackTC wrote: »
    If you are someone who doesn't like Maths or is very poor at it then I would not recommend taking Economics at degree level as it is quite a Mathematical based degree, especially in the latter stages.

In first year you will take some introductory economics courses, similar to whats covered in the Leaving Cert, along with some statistics classes.

In second year you take calculus and more statistics (which includes some computer programming) . The economics modules in 2nd year also have algebra and calculus in them.

If you find Algebra, Calculus and Statisics in the Leaving Cert manageable then you'll be OK, if not then avoid Economics, as there is plenty of it.

Thanks Jack really appreciate your time. I actually would cope fine with Algebra and Calculus at OL. Would HL standard be needed though for DN700? And are some of the maths heavy modules dropable as I see Econometrics in Year 2 was optional much to my surprise, is this only a once off? And also can you focus on Macro instead of Micro or are you forced to do both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

You do not need HL maths to study Economics in College but you do need a good grade in OL. Anyone who struggles to pass OL maths should probably not take economics in college.

The maths heavy modules such as Intermediate Micro, Macro , Econometrics, Statistics for Economics are core modules that you must take in your second and/or third year. There are quite a lot of option modules, some mathematical and some more essay based. I wouldn't worry about the maths side of the degree too much if I was you.

You can't focus on just micro or macro, you must study both.

Advertisement