Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost documents

Options
  • 22-10-2020 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m interested in buying a house locally and from talking to the original builders a vulture fund has the mortgage but according to them the documents are missing and they can’t sell it as there have been a couple of offers.
    What happens to the house when this happens? Is there anyway I could buy it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m interested in buying a house locally and from talking to the original builders a vulture fund has the mortgage but according to them the documents are missing and they can’t sell it as there have been a couple of offers.

Cheers

They could easily get new deeds created but that's a job for their solicitor. If they are just not bothered then there is no much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Legal title can be recreated. But it takes time and money. Something Vulture funds have no interest in doing. If you are a cash buyer you can buy as is and recreate the title afterwards yourself. But you have hope for the best after you buy it that it’s fine. Any issues and you have no comeback. Buying with finance is impossible. Vulture funds would leave the house there then sort the legal title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi all,

Cheers

What have the original builders got to do with it? Did they not sell it on after building it?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Legal title can be recreated. But it takes time and money. Something Vulture funds have no interest in doing. If you are a cash buyer you can buy as is and recreate the title afterwards yourself. But you have hope for the best after you buy it that it’s fine. Any issues and you have no comeback. Buying with finance is impossible. Vulture funds would leave the house there then sort the legal title.

Cheers for that, is it expensive to get the deeds recreated? As in thousands or tens of thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Cheers for that, is it expensive to get the deeds recreated? As in thousands or tens of thousands?

It depends on the legal title. Land registry is much easier to recreate than registry of deeds. And also the type of house - a house in an estate vs a once off house.

I don’t think it would tens of thousands but could be thousands if straightforward. You’ll have legal and engineer costs and outlay Involved. Might be worth checking with your solicitor to see what documents you would need to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm in a position where I want to sell a property at the minute, but the deeds have been lost. Would the Land Registry deeds suffice for the sale?
    House in a small estate, built circa 2002.

I'm in a position where I want to sell a property at the minute, but the deeds have been lost. Would the Land Registry deeds suffice for the sale?
    House in a small estate, built circa 2002.

Is it registered land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It's a semi d house, and I have a copy of the land registry deeds.

It's a semi d house, and I have a copy of the land registry deeds.

Are you sure it's not a copy of the Registry of Deeds documents you have? It matters not whether it's a semi detached house or what size of an estate it is in.

Advertisement