Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked tooth 10 year old

Options
  • 23-10-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, the son here had a fall today and is only complaining of a sore front tooth now. I shone a torch on it and I see a hairline crack in the tooth. Does anyone have any advice? I cannot raise a dentist on the phone now here.
    Is this something that needs dental attention immediately?
    Any help appreciated as I am worried about this as it is an adult front tooth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

Sorry to hear that, I would think yes, it does need attention. Go with Calpol or Nurefen to ease the pain and try to get to see someone tomorrow if you can. Maybe someone else can advise you if you should go to emergency department, but I doubt they will be able to do anything for him there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I would ring doctor on call. They will advise you. My brother fell out of my dads jeep when he was around 10. He cracked his 2 front teeth. He ended up losing them. They spent s long time bringing him to an ortho dentist in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s a horrible feeling when something like this happens to a kid. Happened our lad where he was 3 about but was one of his bottom side teeth. He wasn’t complaining of pain though. We brought him to the dentist so said it would need to be removed, but under general anaesthetic as he was so young. He was afraid of infection getting in thr crack of the tooth and into the jaw.
    It was 2-3 weeks before they removed the tooth. Didn’t knock a stir out of him and got treated like a king in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Definitely get it seen to.
    The crack will either worsen and break or at very least may be an entry point for decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dental work is covered under the school insurance scheme afaik. I know in my brothers case the nerves were damaged and as it happened over Christmas there wasnt enough done soon enough to save the teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You should be able to get a dentist today depending on where you live. If not bring him to caredoc to get it looked at then dentist in Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Gael23 wrote: »
    You should be able to get a dentist today depending on where you live. If not bring him to caredoc to get it looked at then dentist in Monday

Tuesday most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thanks all
    We got a phone triage from the dental hospital and it will be OK until Tuesday they say. Soft foods for the weekend only. He thinks that means a diet of ice cream and jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grueller wrote: »
    Thanks all
    We got a phone triage from the dental hospital and it will be OK until Tuesday they say. Soft foods for the weekend only. He thinks that means a diet of ice cream and jelly.

Hope it ends well. Price of cattle pales insignificant compared to anything happening the little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grueller wrote: »
    Thanks all

Hope it ends well. Price of cattle pales insignificant compared to anything happening the little ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement