Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need wasps?

Options
  • 22-04-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

What do they do, apart from spark panic in previously calm people? I can't tell you how often I've been smoking out my bathroom window this week, only to throw it away at the slightest sound of a buzz. They keep coming in. Sometimes I hear the buzz inside and think, 'How did you get in?' and the obvious answer is, he was already there, waiting.

I hate them. So, do we need them? I'd say no. I'm sure some wee dick will come in and say, 'Well, actually wasps are vital for our ecosystem' and give some wee dick explanation as to why, but really nobody would bat an eyelid if they all suddenly died. Heartless, I know, but let's call a spade a spade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Hammer89 wrote: »
    What do they do, apart from spark panic in previously calm people? I can't tell you how often I've been smoking out my bathroom window this week, only to throw it away at the slightest sound of a buzz. They keep coming in. Sometimes I hear the buzz inside and think, 'How did you get in?' and the obvious answer is, he was already there, waiting.

I hate them. So, do we need them? I'd say no. I'm sure some wee dick will come in and say, 'Well, actually wasps are vital for our ecosystem' and give some wee dick explanation as to why, but really nobody would bat an eyelid if they all suddenly died. Heartless, I know, but let's call a spade a spade.

They only want a pull of the fag. Blow smoke at them and they'll give you a fly by salute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They eat aphids , which would destroy a lot of crops, if not controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Left a can of beer unattended one summers evening and one of these b@stards fancied a sip in the can and I ended up looking like some tramp out of love island

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Do we need them ? Question you should be asking is whether they need us ?

jumr6pstfwux.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They keep us in a state of readiness for The Event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

If you smoked a good quility of cigarette like Major and not crap like John Player Blue you won't get bothered by the wasps. They work for certain cigarette companies. Philip Morris are one of the biggest employers of wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

They eat aphids , which would destroy a lot of crops, if not controlled.

They are also very important as pollinators. Also, a lot of what you think are wasps are actually bees, but they can look very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

9ae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Pollinators are very important. I have a long back garden and I always leave just under a third of it uncut and fenced off. Neighbours with over zealous lawnmower ambitions think I'm lazy. But they are just garden artists who want to mow it down and all over. Fook em. Pollinators are badly needed and thrive more on wild flowers than any of your Woodies bought flowery ****e. Even the Tidy Towns gang have realised this and there's a prize for sensible people who understand pollinators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If the end of wasps meant the collapse of the world's ecological sysytems I would happily live in that post-apocalyptic wasp-free waste land.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

They make real good pets, keep all but the most persistent away, the sting in the tail?

is the sting in the tail.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Achasanai wrote: »
    They are also very important as pollinators. Also, a lot of what you think are wasps are actually bees, but they can look very similar.

So wasps are essentially skinhead bees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

If the end of wasps meant the collapse of the world's ecological sysytems I would happily live in that post-apocalyptic wasp-free waste land.

Even if you had no beer?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2012/07/30/you-can-thank-wasps-for-your-bread-beer-and-wine/#.XL4WWGgo80M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Pollinators are very important. I have a long back garden and I always leave just under a third of it uncut and fenced off. Neighbours with over zealous lawnmower ambitions think I'm lazy. But they are just garden artists who want to mow it down and all over. Fook em. Pollinators are badly needed and thrive more on wild flowers than any of your Woodies bought flowery ****e. Even the Tidy Towns gang have realised this and there's a prize for sensible people who understand pollinators.

Tell the truth now...the flex on your flymo only reaches 2/3 of the way down the garden and it has nothing to do with you being one with the bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

They are violent thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

The thing is, when you die off how many people will actually care? Your friends, family & acquaintances sure, but in the grand scheme of things you’ll be just like a wasp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Had an altercation with one today, big fecker, took a swipe with the paper and clonked him on the head, tough fecker didn’t blink and came straight at me. He landed on the window so I opened it and let him out, so beware - there’s an angry wasp out there somewhere just waiting for revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Yesterday I was out in the back garden, sitting in my chair at peace with the world. My reverie was disturbed by a rasping sound. Eventually located the source at the top of my garden wall. There was a wasp, chewing away at my trellis. I had previously noticed damage to the trellis an assumed it was caused by the neighbours cats sharpening their claws. From the point where the wasp was nibbling away to my ear was about 2 meters.

Anyway, as much as I hate them, not knowing if they are useful or not, I chose not to disturb/destroy it. It eventually flew away with its payload, presumably to add an extension to its home, and I was grateful to note it didn't fly into MY shed :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

They play an important part in the production of yeast, so if you like beer, bread or wine then yes you need wasps. (They are also pollinators so yea important part of eco system etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Odhinn wrote: »
    So wasps are essentially skinhead bees?

Worse, Nazi bees ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Yrs back one day after some business in Dept of Agriculture office in Clonakilty walking back to the car I heard a woman's voice behind me saying
    "Get out, get out, go on get out you, get out."
    I turned around to see a woman standing inside an open window waving paper. She suddenly realised i was looking at her.
    "Oh sorry" says she I'm not talking to you I'm talking to the fecking waashp"
    I can still hear the other staff roaring laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

roroliam wrote: »
    If you smoked a good quility of cigarette like Major and not crap like John Player Blue you won't get bothered by the wasps. They work for certain cigarette companies. Philip Morris are one of the biggest employers of wasps.

What about Benson & Hedges, Buzzing Hornets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

They are the travelling community of insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Stop smoking out the bathroom window. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bees, wasps and hornets, interesting little critters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know this is supposed to be a bumblebee - but I always reckoned it sounded more like an angry wasp ;)

https://archive.org/details/FlightOfTheBumblebee

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Do we need them? Probably.

Do we want them? Hell no. I make it my personal mission to kill every last one that comes across my path.

Buzzing stripy fcukers.

• Advertisement

They also help keep the fly population under control. The adults, who aren't carnivores, actively hunt flies to feed the young, who are. If the fly is too large they'll cut it in half, take it back to the nest, then successfully find its way back to the other half to collect it.

Advertisement