Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Author John Boyne receives abuse from strangers on Twitter

• 17-04-2019 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

John Boyne has written a book about a trans kid transitioning and he has been forced to leave Twitter because of the abuse he has received. His crime is apparently misgendering and also saying that he objects to being forced to use the word cis.

The silver lining here is that a lot of mainstream Irish authors are now realising that the trans cult are lunatics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There was a chap on the RTE programme about this subject who tried to do a paper about young people who regretted going down this road

And he was warned off by the colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

A boy without a winkle? God be praised, it’s a miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There was a chap on the RTE programme about this subject who tried to do a paper about young people who regretted going down this road

And he was warned off by the colleges

You can't discuss it. As John Boyne discovered, even if you write a book that is mainly trans positive, if you even dare make a mistatement about gender, you will be eviscerated.

Males wearing dresses demanding access to female only spaces will not be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Dante7 wrote: »
    John Boyne has written a book about a trans kid transitioning and he has been forced to leave Twitter because of the abuse he has received. His crime is apparently misgendering and also saying that he objects to being forced to use the word cis.

The silver lining here is that a lot of mainstream Irish authors are now realising that the trans cult are lunatics.

He got heat on Twitter because his article was so lacking in research as to be almost laughable.

Nobody has read his book yet but, I wonder will it put really offensive transphobic sentiments in the mouths of babes and call the results 'young adult fiction'???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

He wasn't "forced" to leave Twitter, he chose not to stand up for his beliefs and to run away from the debate. I have no time for people who claim to be "forced" to leave a platform because of words written by strangers on the internet - grow a f*cking pair* and stand your ground.

*I realise that this particular remark may, in the context of the trans issue, be taken as either an appalling or an incredible pun, depending on one's viewpoint

• Advertisement

He got heat on Twitter because his article was so lacking in research as to be almost laughable.

Nobody has read his book yet but, I wonder will it put really offensive transphobic sentiments in the mouths of babes and call the results 'young adult fiction'???

No his book wasn't lacking in research. He talked to trans people before writing the book. This is John Boyne!
    The one thing he did apologise about is that he referenced Graham Linehan derogatively in his article. He quickly began to see how the trans lunatics will quickly try to destroy your life if you don't subscribe to their cult beliefs.

He wasn't "forced" to leave Twitter, he chose not to stand up for his beliefs and to run away from the debate. I have no time for people who claim to be "forced" to leave a platform because of words written by strangers on the internet - grow a f*cking pair* and stand your ground.

*I realise that this particular remark may, in the context of the trans issue, be taken as either an appalling or an incredible pun, depending on one's viewpoint

He was forced to leave. The trans lobby hammered him with their particular viewpoint and forced him to deactivate.

The funny thing is, his book and article were 99% trans positive. But that is not good enough for the trans lobby. You must capitulate to this new cult or you will suffer a social media pile on.

People are now beginning to see these trans activist lunatics for who they are. Driving John Boyne off Twitter. A gay man and huge LGBT Ally, just cos he he dared question cis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

All these terms are hard to keep up with.

I looked up "cis" and got a construction projects website.
    Its quite interesting.

Well done, good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

We saw how radical the group can be after the RTE program, i don't know why you would expect any less.

Calhoun wrote: »
    We saw how radical the group can be after the RTE program, i don't know why you would expect any less.

You could kind of laugh it off, except it's coming to your kids' school soon. And don't dare disagree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It seems that some transsexuals have a messiah complex and being persecuted forms part of their delusion - hence the requirement to seek out enemies on the most spurious grounds outside the closed feedback loop of their normal social circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Goodbye John Boyne. Whoever the fcuk you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He was forced to leave. The trans lobby hammered him with their particular viewpoint and forced him to deactivate.

How do you 'force "someone off Twitter?

The thread title and this claim is factually incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't give a fcuk who you are but if you are actually a male and you are in women's toilets then you should be done.

I don't care if you wake up today and say ah sure I'm female today or tomorrow ah sure I'm an it or whatever you want to call yourself.

Simple you were born with a penis or a vagina....

So if you want to dress differently nock yourself out I couldn't give a rat's a#s....

I think the world is going to actually end up completely backwards if things keep going the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The thread title and this claim is factually incorrect.

Can be done with mental abuse or I could call around and force you to hit the delete button......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No his book wasn't lacking in research. He talked to trans people before writing the book. .

The post you quote says the article lacked research. Not the book

. It also says no one has read the book yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:
    var originalThreadTitle = "John Boyne forced to leave twitter";
    var newThreadTitle = String.RemoveFalsehoods(originalThreadTitle);
    Console.WriteLine(newThreadTitle);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

The post you quote says the article lacked research. Not the book

. It also says no one has read the book yet.

People have read the book (to review it), have summarised it and have come to the conclusion that yes, the book lacks research

Wait... This is a novel?

OK, that's genuinely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

People have read the book (to review it), have summarised it and have come to the conclusion that yes, the book lacks research

If it doesn't praise them as much as they wanted, then "there wasn't enough research done", it's the fancy way of throwing the toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Snotty wrote: »
    If it doesn't praise them as much as they wanted, then "there wasn't enough research done", it's the fancy way of throwing the toys out of the pram.

Nope. They weren't looking for praise, just not to be portrayed in damaging and incorrect stereoypes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nope. They weren't looking for praise, just not to be portrayed in damaging and incorrect stereoypes

And they thought the best way to counter this was to act up to the unhinged lunatic stereotype??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Goodbye John Boyne. Whoever the fcuk you are.
    Who?

Remember the film The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?
    He wrote the novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Normally I'd agree with you; but there's more to life than getting into a twitter war with an army of the ideologically possessed from all corners of the internet - particularly if one is a successful author, I'd imagine he has more productive things to do with his time.

He'll come back when Wokeus Dei have moved on to feast on their next victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Saw John Boyne in a WExford bookshop once , reading a chapter from the boy in the striped pajamas.
    overrated ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Or hit the block button, or simply log out. Deleting it is such a poncey grand statement.

I don't know what this guy actually said so can't judge this case specifically, but I agree that call out culture on twitter has gotten out of hand in certain quarters and a lot of people would rather score points off someone than have a discussion or try to be patient if someone is being a bit out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Usually by bullying them.

what other groups get to dictate what novelists can write

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't give a fcuk who you are but if you are actually a male and you are in women's toilets then you should be done.
    Convicted of a crime for using a women's toilets? Draconian much?

I use women's toilets all the time if my daughter needs to go and there's no-one around to go in with her. She refuses to go into the men's, so I go into the women's and I'll take a piss in the next cubicle if I feel the need to. But I suppose for this heinous crime I should be "done".

It's just a toilet. We all share the same toilet at home.

People need to drop their preciousness about segregated toilets. Women fart and sh1t and piss just like the rest of us. If it makes you squeamish that a man might hear you, that's your problem.

My personal belief is that segregated toilets place women at more risk by creating places where women may be alone for extended periods of time.

A straight guy raped a woman in the women's toilets of the George. If there had been a single set of toilets for everyone, there would have been more people milling around.

Advertisement