Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Or one of these firms will assist in creating and scoring a tender, and another one of them will come in to carry out the report when the overall bill is 3 times what was estimated.

The report will cost half a million, and the recommendation will include hiring a load of their consultants to assist. They tell you what’s wrong and then tell you they are the cure.

It’s hard to underestimate how negative an impact the likes of Deloitte, EY, Accenture etc have on the world.

Having worked with the big 4 and used them as suppliers I eventually worked out their purpose was to see a perception of respectability. I wouldn't wipe arse with their reports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

I have a quick question, why hasn't this c*nt stepped down already?

This severance package for himself and his pals is taking longer then the IMF loan we got before it led us back into famine times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You know I can't believe it took me this long to cop the first letter of each word of your username spells out TROL

:P

Another few posters have commented on that unfortunate curio before too, even though TROL isnt a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

Obviously the 100k loan was to hide the money from his estranged wife.

Was he hiding the money? I'm not defending him for one minute but I would have thought 100K was spare change for Delaney. He's been on a huge FAI salary for up to 15 years and I believe he was relatively well off beforehand due to various business interests.

This type of transfer should be easily spotted during separation proceedings. If he was hiding 100K then he's only really preventing having to hand over half of it which is only a couple of months salary for him.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Was he hiding the money? I'm not defending him for one minute but I would have thought 100K was spare change for Delaney. He's been on a huge FAI salary for up to 15 years and I believe he was relatively well off beforehand due to various business interests.

This type of transfer should be easily spotted during separation proceedings. If he was hiding 100K then he's only really preventing having to hand over half of it which is only a couple of months salary for him.

Indeed...I don't...can't believe it was to try to hide it from the soon to be ex-wife during settlements. Paltry amount of money in the grand scheme of things, withdraw it and say you blew it on horses if trying to hide it. If he is this thick, which is possible, and his board ok'd this or ignored it, audits ignored, then there is a mountain of stuff to come out. It was dodgy, no doubt about that.

2R4RjWT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I just read that his father left the fai after paying 110,000 from his the own pocket amid a ticketing scandal back in 1996.
    Like father, like son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Union guy on prime time saying Morale among the staff in fai is at an low time low

TomasMacR wrote: »

This severance package for himself and his pals is taking longer then the IMF loan we got before it led us back into famine times.

I suspect he’s scared sh*tless of losing the uefa role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I suspect he’s scared sh*tless of losing the uefa role

and busy shredding any paperwork (that was actually kept) that might be hanging around that could incriminate him further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned.

Another crook made that quote. This stuff is rampant in irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Delighted Delaney seems to be going.

Really hope that the only good things engineered under his watch (albeit because he really had to do it, given the fact that our underage structures were producing poor players and our Plan A of letting England develop our young players was becoming defunct) - the PDP; the enforced power switch from the schoolboy league mafias to a normal pyramid development structure with the domestic league at the top and his support of league clubs with progrsssive academy strcutures - won't be left by the wayside. To do so would be a massively retrograde step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The journalist who broke the €100k loan story should get a lifetime corporate box at the Aviva for services to Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Look at the way the GAA is embedded deep within the culture and society across the country, from the busiest cities to the most windswept hamlet.

You have reached peak Darby O'Gill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Obviously the 100k loan was to hide the money from his estranged wife but look at how much that loan is costing the FAI in terms of consultants and retrospective investigations! They need to sack him asap.
    How could putting a 100 loan through the books as Delaney did be hiding it from anybody?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Looks like a lot of rocks are being overturned at the FAI and its not pretty what was underneath them.
    Talk of laws being broken and possible prosecutions.
    Please god Delaney is banned from ever holding a senior position in any company again because the buck for any shenigans at the FAI stops at his door. Big salary, big job title, big responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Delighted Delaney seems to be going.
    According to the the radio, you'll see Delaney kept on the payroll, they may even reject any attempt for him to quit, because it's much easier to force someone on the payroll to co-operate with a legal investigation. If he's not on the payroll, you have to get a court order every time you need his input.
    Please god Delaney is banned from ever holding a senior position in any company again goes to prison
    FYP

In reality if an extensive audit was carried out in many legit businesses /organisations you could find huge sums liable in fines and penalties. It's just pure luck (plus maybe knowing the right people ) that some places avoid these audits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It must be fashionable to denounce Delaney now as even Eamonn Dunphy is at it. And not a peep out of him the last few years, Hes a very odd one, spends his life ranting at how bad Ireland is, despite him having a very comfortable lifestyle and no doubt planning to live and die in this very country.

Then he turned on Roy Keane after years of worshipping him...

That'd be Eamonn - you have to keep an eye on what the public want to hear.
    Augme wrote: »
    He's spent the last few weeks defending Delaney.

Only sort of defending him, I'd have thought.

BarryD2 wrote: »

Dunphy has more of an axe to grind with the fans and has used Delaney to do this, I don’t think he gives a fiddlers f*ck about Delaney. He had a right go at the fans for the tennis ball protest and then got personal about Richard Sadlier who was the only one to defend the fans after the protest.

Personally I think the tennis ball protest was as tame as it gets. Anywhere else there’d be fans gathered outside the association demanding he step down immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dunphy has more of an axe to grind with the fans and has used Delaney to do this, I don’t think he gives a fiddlers f*ck about Delaney. He had a right go at the fans for the tennis ball protest and then got personal about Richard Sadlier who was the only one to defend the fans after the protest.

Personally I think the tennis ball protest was as tame as it gets. Anywhere else there’d be fans gathered outside the association demanding he step down immediately.
    Why should the FAI care about protests? The same people that are protesting are still buying merchandise and tickets

BarryD2 wrote: »

I think the only people that ever took anything that Dunphy said seriously are the type of people that saw statues moving in the eighties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I would like to make two predictions:

1. In a short time it will become clear that as of now we are only witnessing the tip of an iceberg.

2. When the whole iceberg becomes visible some of the people posting here will still be telling you:

(a) that you don't know what you are talking about, or
    (b) that you should mind your own business, or
    (c) that once the FAI tells the goverment what it does with money got from the taxpayer the government and everybody else including the men and women who play soccer should f--- off and mind their own business about how money got from the public is spent, or
    (d) that others are as bad or worse, or
    (e) that all this trivial nonsense about governance, ethics, transparecy and accountability is wrecking the more serious business of football, or
    (f) that instead of being exercised by this stuff you should get up off your arses and promote the FAI executive vision, or
    (g) that you should wear the green jersey, or
    (h) all seven of the above.

feargale wrote: »
    I would like to make two predictions:

1. In a short time it will become clear that as of now we are only witnessing the tip of an iceberg.

2. When the whole iceberg becomes visible some of the people posting here will still be telling you:

(a) that you don't know what you are talking about, or
    (b) that you should mind your own business, or
    (c) that once the FAI tells the goverment what it does with money got from the taxpayer the government and everybody else including the men and women who play soccer should f--- off and mind their own business about how money got from the public is spent, or
    (d) that others are as bad or worse, or
    (e) that all this trivial nonsense about governance, ethics, transparecy and accountability is wrecking the serious business of football, or
    (f) that instead of being exercised by this stuff you should get up off your arses and promote the FAI executive vision, or
    (g) that you should wear the green jersey, or
    (h) all seven of the above.
    In fairness, aside from public money (which is given for specific projects and programmes) it is no one's business how the FAI spend their money. And the revelations about mismanagement and wages isn't really news, yet the members of the FAI were happy to let it continue.

No one is forced to buy jerseys or tickets. If people are unhappy with the FAI they should stop funding them. It's that simple.

There are alternatives out there, the FAI doesn't have to exist, and others could set up their own organisation, and make it as transparent at they see fit.

In fairness, aside from public money (which is given for specific projects and programmes) it is no one's business how the FAI spend their money. And the revelations about mismanagement and wages isn't really news, yet the members of the FAI were happy to let it continue.

So corporate governance is a complete non entity, no accountability whatsoever as long as it is not public money. The FAI could, if they wanted to, set up a multi-story brothel in Merrion Square.

No one is forced to buy jerseys or tickets. If people are unhappy with the FAI they should stop funding them. It's that simple.

This has come up a few times and is a very poor argument. A lot of us want to support our national football team no matter what for the love of the sport and the country. Try telling your ten year old you don't want to support the team any longer because of how corrupt the association and BOM are.
    There are alternatives out there, the FAI doesn't have to exist, and others could set up their own organisation, and make it as transparent at they see fit.

Why should anyone set up any other organisation than the one in place when tax payers have already paid to have individuals to do their job accordingly and act appropriately?

Anyone want to up a new HSE, I've a toolbox in the shed and everything is on YouTube. Heart Transplants half-price this week only.

So corporate governance is a complete non entity, no accountability whatsoever as long as it is not public money. The FAI could, if they wanted to, set up a multi-story brothel in Merrion Square.
    Exactly, they do not have to be accountable to anyone other than their members as long as they act within the law. And up until now the biggest gripe a lot of so called fans have had with the FAI is the renumeration of the top executive, where they felt the money would be better spent on promoting the game. The issue with the accounts is just a new stick to beat the FAI with.
    This has come up a few times and is a very poor argument. A lot of us want to support our national football team no matter what for the love of the sport and the country. Try telling your ten year old you don't want to support the team any longer because of how corrupt the association and BOM are.
    it doesn't need to be the FAI that organises a national team or soccer in general, as an example league of Ireland was outside the FAI for years. Anyone can do it. It's not as if a group needs democratic legitimacy to set up a football team or sports organization. You see how weak your argument is when it descends to "think of the children" as your point.
    Why should anyone set up any other organisation than the one in place when tax payers have already paid to have individuals to do their job accordingly and act appropriately?

Anyone want to up a new HSE, I've a toolbox in the shed and everything is on YouTube. Heart Transplants half-price this week only.

Taxpayers are not paying the FAI to administer the game, that are paying for specific programmes and these are being delivered. A new organization could be set up tomorrow by fans if they really cared to do what the FAI do. The real problem is these "fans" don't want to be members, don't want to volunteer, just to crib and moan about an organization that they continue to prop up financially.

And anyone is free to set up an alternative health service of they so desire. Indeed there are many private clinics throughout the country.

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    All this over a few tennis balls.

And how quick UEFA were in to deal with the tennis ball incident while their silence on other matters is deafening. But then, don't dream of waving your shirt after scoring a goal. Ah yes, soccer has its priorities so right.

Comparing soccer in Ireland to the other popular codes of football played here, it does indeed come across as a joke. Look at the way the GAA is embedded deep within the culture and society across the country, from the busiest cities to the most windswept hamlet. Granted, it is an amateur association but the time and effort invested by coaches/club members/parents/administrators throughout the country has its reward in the number of kids actually togging out to play the games every weekend and the crowds you get at Croke Park at the big occasions.

Yes, but what does the GAA do with all its money? :D. :D. :D

Why doesn't it give some of it to the FAI? :D. :D. :D. :D. :D. :D. :D

New song:

You never chalk a loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im delighted Delaney is gone and it's corrupt and inability to support football with no vision.

But they're county boards in GAA with just as much corruption. Be great if they were also questioned but will never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Im delighted Delaney is gone and it's corrupt and inability to support football with no vision.

But they're county boards in GAA with just as much corruption. Be great if they were also questioned but will never happen

I don’t think there are, yes every organisation has some corruption but to equate the GAA with this lot is plain wrong on any level.

Paddy seems to have the ‘Scousers fingers’ problem, can’t keep them out of the till.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He's only 51? Is it just me or does he looks around ten years older than that?

ifElseThen wrote: »

Very interesting indeed. But we shouldn't judge the son by the alleged sins of the father although if the son got his position because of this same man it would definitely by an indicator of cultural values regarding ethics and money. Pee Flynn, anybody?

Moreover, it is absolutely incredible that John Delaney was in receipt of a salary of €360,000. This excludes all pension contributions, health insurance, his €40,000 limit on his credit card and so, so much else. It also doesn't include payments from international soccer organisations for various "roles". And that's just the "legitimate" stuff.

Importantly, it is also not clear if he set up an offshore company into which his salary was paid in order to avoid the marginal tax rate of 50%-60% that Irish PAYE workers must pay. Hopefully, at least one journalist will leave the journalists' world of alcoholism and lazy-arsed addiction to regugitating press releases/pr spin as "news" and join Mark Tighe in digging. Loads to get on this story.

Which county boards are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Which county boards are you referring to?

Don’t set it up for him ,bro.

Moreover, it is absolutely incredible that John Delaney was in receipt of a salary of €360,000. This excludes all pension contributions, health insurance, his €40,000 limit on his credit card and so, so much else. It also doesn't include payments from international soccer organisations for various "roles". And that's just the "legitimate" stuff.

Importantly, it is also not clear if he set up an offshore company into which his salary was paid in order to avoid the marginal tax rate of 50%-60% that Irish PAYE workers must pay. Hopefully, at least one journalist will leave the journalists' world of alcoholism and lazy-arsed addiction to regugitating press releases/pr spin as "news" and join Mark Tighe in digging. Loads to get on this story.

I wonder when the Revenue Commissioners will get involved. Credit Card expenses are treated as notional pay and therefore can be taxed. Also I'm sure BIK for the rent.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/becoming-an-employer-and-ongoing-obligations/payments-to-employees/benefit-in-kind.aspx

The guy was paid in total almost 500k per annum at a time when the FAI and League of Ireland clubs were struggling financially to survive.

As long as Delaney has any involvement in the FAI, they shouldn't receive a cent of taxpayer money or sports grants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

The girlfriend dumped him last week, surprised hasn't been in the papers yet.
    And before you start slating her it was nothing to do with money she was never interested in money

The girlfriend dumped him last week, surprised hasn't been in the papers yet.
    And before you start slating her it was nothing to do with money she was never interested in money

Of course she wasn't. And the timing was just coincidental!

The days of 5 star hotels, away trips and unlimited credit card expenses are at an end. The gravy train has dried up for him and any largesse he could hand out is now gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

He has lost a lot in fairness the two week job , rental home his reputation and now his girlfriend.
    I don't believe in kicking a man when he is down and he is hardly corrupt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

and he is hardly corrupt

He didn’t need to be when they were throwing that much money at him.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

He didn’t need to be when they were throwing that much money at him.

But why were they throwing that much money at him?

Its hard to have sympathy for a guy who was paid more than the presidents of the US or France and twice the salary of the Prime Minister of the UK and who left Irish soccer in a mess. He helped those who could vote for him. But he undermined the long term success of the LOI and the national team. Underage and the LOI should mean a stepping stone to the EPL and the Irish national team. At the moment its a stepping stone to the lower leagues in the UK which isn't really benefitting anyone, not LOI clubs, not the national team or the players themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Hi Salary is on par or less that other CEO's within the country. I have no issue with his overall payment package based on the role he was nominated for.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-ceo-pay-2016-2-3800613-Jan2018/
    (Great source of evidence I know)

There is absolutely some dodgy dealings going on but we have no real idea what they are. yet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He has lost a lot in fairness the two week job , rental home his reputation and now his girlfriend.
    I don't believe in kicking a man when he is down and he is hardly corrupt

Records show that he paid another ex of his €60k in professional fees, she claims she never received it.

We’ll see if he’s corrupt or not in the coming weeks.

Ah well. Emma has been described as a “supermodel” in the indo so she’ll have no problem living the high life well into the future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Folks, please use the soccer forum thread on this topic. There is no need for a duplicate thread outside of soccer.

Discussions of the Football Association of Ireland certainly fall within that forums remit.

Live thread is here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057931201

This one is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement