Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney

• 15-04-2019 6:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have absolutely no idea why a soccer thread cant be commented upon without certain privileges and he can’t be discussed elsewhere.

This man is an absolute embarrassment, the only reason he has not left his newly self appointed position is because he is working out how much we are going to give him as a severance package as another one of our finest fraudulent corrupt thieves.

2R4RjWT.jpg[/quote]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Great man, sure didn't he fix the road?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TomasMacR wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why a soccer thread cant be commented upon without certain privileges and he can’t be discussed elsewhere.

It's like a strict boarding school or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Indeed, and they are incredibly slow at granting access.

On Delaney, can't really see what the fuss is about. The people agitating for him to go generally have very little to do with soccer in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

By "stepping aside" ( but still with FAI) instead of resigning, he's hope to get a good 10 years with his snout in the UEFA trough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The people of Kerry love him apparently.

• Advertisement

On Delaney, can't really see what the fuss is about. The people agitating for him to go generally have very little to do with soccer in Ireland.

They get like two million of public money out of about fifty million they spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And there's the problem there. You don't have to play soccer to see what a joke the FAI are.

Sure with this attitude is I hope you never complain about the government as you're not involved in politics yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

This man is an absolute embarrassment, the only reason he has not left his newly self appointed position is because he is working out how much we are going to give him as a severance package as another one of our finest fraudulent corrupt thieves.

The soccer forum has restricted privileges as otherwise the forum would be a complete ****-show of re-reg trolls. Making people work to actually get the privilege to post in the forum, keeps most threads there reasonably civil.

I've no love for John Delaney. I get the impression though that the other members of the board are getting away easy in this whole fiasco though. John may have been the CEO but the whole board is complicit in the incidents in question and the state of Irish soccer in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

tenor.gif?itemid=5171990

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 WeIrishareEvil

The main issue i have in all this is why the head of the FAI is actually famous.

Does the average English person know who the head of the FA is?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Ishmael wrote: »
    The soccer forum has restricted privileges as otherwise the forum would be a complete ****-show of re-reg trolls. Making people work to actually get the privilege to post in the forum, keeps most threads there reasonably civil.

Why? In comparison to politics, after hours (which has ironically enough zero tolerance) and more importantly the astronomy forum which I got site banned from because I posted about the alien I saw with the telescope I got for Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Delaney declined to give any information to the Orieachtas Committee "on legal advice." While that does not always mean that illegality is being hidden, it often does and is often a guard against incriminating oneself or others. That fact in itself is enough to justify, indeed to make it imperative that the Garda Siochana take an interest in the matter in all such cases.

Hurrache wrote: »
    And there's the problem there. You don't have to play soccer to see what a joke the FAI are.

Sure with this attitude is I hope you never complain about the government as you're not involved in politics yourself.

I'm a citizen, therefore I have a stake in the running of and future of the country. I'm not involved in Irish soccer and the vast majority of people whinging (for years it has to be said) about Delaney haven't gotten up of their arses to get involved in running football either.

If these people really cared about football then perhaps they should join a club and get involved, indeed of cribbing and throwing tennis balls
    kneemos wrote: »
    They get like two million of public money out of about fifty million they spend.
    There is no suggestion that any of the public money they receive has been misspent. The public money is used for specific programmes only

The vast majority of FAI revenue comes from private sources. Why should anyone outside of the organisation feel they have the right to tell them how to conduct themselves? It's their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

this may be true, but as a taxpayer we should have an opinion in how our cash is spent.
    While funding soccer is a noble cause ; seeing that money paying for Delaney's fancy dinners is pretty galling when we (as a country) have much better things to spend the money on.
    I'm a citizen, therefore I have a stake in the running of and future of the country. I'm not involved in Irish soccer and the vast majority of people whinging (for years it has to be said) about Delaney haven't gotten up of their arses to get involved in running football either.

If these people really cared about football then perhaps they should join a club and get involved, indeed of cribbing and throwing tennis balls

There is no suggestion that any of the public money they receive has been misspent. The public money is used for specific programmes only

The vast majority of FAI revenue comes from private sources. Why should anyone outside of the organisation feel they have the right to tell them how to conduct themselves? It's their business.

That's not true, the state funding for programmes allows the FAI to have money for other stuff.
    Without it there wouldn't be dinner in Gaucho's in London - which is a fabulous place btw... - tbh without it there wouldn't be a pot to piss in for the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Really ? So why have fans of clubs in the Loi been protesting against him for over Ten years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

after hours (which has ironically enough zero tolerance)

Assuming you're talking about rereg trolls, when it comes to AH let's just say you're way off base here. Pointing them out though, is something the mods definitely don't tolerate.

As for Delaney, good riddance to the spanner but I doubt it will solve much as he surely had to be surrounded by crooks (one of which will take his place) to get away with such blatant corruption for so long.

Kinda the point I was making.

Fans however might feel aggrieved if they think things are being badly run. Though I'm not sure what their complaint is.

Annd9 wrote: »
    Really ? So why have fans of clubs in the Loi been protesting against him for over Ten years ?

Fans, not members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned.

True, he'd fit nicely into either of those particular dens of corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

John D., a great CEO. He'll be badly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You would think that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with Delaney.

Eh? Have you the Sunday papers? There is every suggestion that public funds were misappropriated and this is why he is being forced to step down.

Fans, not members.

Not what you said at all , you claimed people who want him to go generally have little to do with soccer which is absolute nonsense .

Eh? Have you the Sunday papers? There is every suggestion that public funds were misappropriated and this is why he is being forced to step down.

Haven't heard anything about misappropriation of funds.

Some dodgy spending on a credit card,maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The apple didn't fall far from the tree with Delaney.

Tell me about it, his father Joe was a monster!

Not what you said at all , you claimed people who want him to go generally have little to do with soccer which is absolute nonsense .

Fans have little to do with the game, fans need to get off their holes become members and get involved in clubs if they want to see change. Clubs are dying because of the lack of volunteers.

Going to the Aviva and chanting a few olés is not getting involved

kneemos wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about misappropriation of funds.

Some dodgy spending on a credit card,maybe.

Also known as a misappropriation of funds

• Advertisement

Fans have little to do with the game, fans need to get off their holes become members and get involved in clubs if they want to see change. Clubs are dying because of the lack of volunteers.

People can't afford to travel over to Liverpool and Manchester every week just to volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

1/10

I'm guessing you missed the part were I stated "Loi" as in League Of Ireland fans . Most clubs are run by volunteers some even fan owned and they have been protesting against not just Delaney but the whole FAI for years . Unfortunately nobody listened.

I would agree with your last point , most people who attend national team games lapped it up for years , free cans , free trains , might even get to catch a tie .... Only when they got screwed themselves with away tickets did you hear any dissent among the support .

Also known as a misappropriation of funds

Could have been spent dining clients. Also public funds account for four percent of their income.

I'm guessing you missed the part were I stated "Loi" as in League Of Ireland fans . Most clubs are run by volunteers some even fan owned and they have been protesting against not just Delaney but the whole FAI for years . Unfortunately nobody listened.

I would agree with your last point , most people who attend national team games lapped it up for years , free cans , free trains , might even get to catch a tie .... Only when they got screwed themselves with away tickets did you hear any dissent among the support .

If the clubs were so upset with the FAI they could always have left and set up their own football association. They didn't though.

Apart from a few vocal objectors, there was no problem with how the FAI was being run from the clubs perspective. The members and the clubs are responsible for allowing the organisation to get into the state it's in.

But that is their business, not the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thank heavens for the soccer forum needing people to request access. Otherwise, it wouldn't be much better than here.

Delaney is a clown and he's surrounded by clowns and I strongly suspect there are many skeletons in cupboards that have to yet to emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm a citizen, therefore I have a stake in the running of and future of the country. I'm not involved in Irish soccer and the vast majority of people whinging (for years it has to be said) about Delaney haven't gotten up of their arses to get involved in running football either

They've gotten up off their arses to take a stand on something that is bigger than sport, transparency, accountability and ethics.
    lThere is no suggestion that any of the public money they receive has been misspent. The public money is used for specific programmes only

You will be able to tell us that when the taxpayer's money has dried up, which hopefully happened yesterday. My oh my, what a tendentious argument: "we are spending the taxpayer's money honestly and the taxpayer can buzz off and mind his own business about all the other money we spend." And I suppose the women footballers who were treated so shabbily can buzz off too.
    What is needed is a Swim Ireland solution, a whole new organisation.

P.S. Isn't it time to restart that old chestnut of a thread that we haven't seen for ages: "What does the GAA do with all its money?" :D. :D. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Comes across as one of those tossers who was born under every favourable planet in the universe.

Why is anybody surprised by this John Delaney stuff? I have zero interest in soccer but almost three years ago in the Pat Hickey thread here I was able to say "Anyway, the surprising thing about the Pat Hickey affair is that John Delaney has not been toppled yet. 12 years at the very top of the FAI and all those commercial deals..."

It's a human nature thing. Leaving aside the well established and longstanding poor performance of the FAI under Delaney, leaving somebody with so much power in any commercial organisation for so long is invariably a really bad thing. Most of us instinctively know this. Plenty of collaboration from the FAI's funders in keeping this guy's fiefdom going for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corminators

There's another 1000 people like this at the top of Irish society.
    Audits never find anything, strangely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If it want that 1000 it would be another 1000. Its the nature of these things. Right wing, left wing, amateur professional. The gravy train is always too tempting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

He's one ugly mother!! Surprised he didnt get a facelift and neck tuck with all his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

He's one ugly mother!! Surprised he didnt get a facelift and neck tuck with all his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Phil.x wrote: »

Post your pic And we will compare them.
    Wtf have his looks got to do with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I haven't been paying much attention to the whole Delaney saga as it's dragged on like brexit and was boring the arse off me but most of the criticism seems to centre on his salary. So what? When I see and hear knobs like Dunphy and Tony O'Donoghue being critical of him I assume he must be doing something right. They are about to force the one individual in this country who has clout and influence in world soccer out of the game, how clever is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

The Irish women's team having to share tracksuits because the FAI wouldn't buy them their own. Meanwhile JD spends racks up eye-watering hotel bills.

The amount the FAI is paying to cover JD's rent plus his credit card spending, are greater than total LOI prize money.

The FAI becomes so strapped for cash that they need to go to JD for a loan.

You don't need to be involved with football to see that this stinks to high heaven and is yet another example of low standards in high places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

"Never commission an inquiry unless you know in advance what its findings are going to be."
    - Sir Humphrey Appleby

I can't help but suspect that this is what's behind JD's stepping-aside...he anticipates being "vindicated" and returning to business as usual.

"Trebles all round!", as Private Eye would say.

This was not how this was meant to play out. Delaney should be president of the Olympic Council by now thanks to his friend Pat Hickey. Damn meddling Brazilians!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The laughable thing is that he's not actually gone. He's trying to pull another stroke by saying that he'll just step aside until the investigation is complete.

Will be be payed during this period? What does the investigation have to conclude for him to leave the FAI altogether etc.

feargale wrote: »
    They've gotten up off their arses to take a stand on something that is bigger than sport, transparency, accountability and ethics.

You will be able to tell us that when the taxpayer's money has dried up, which hopefully happened yesterday. My oh my, what a tendentious argument: "we are spending the taxpayer's money honestly and the taxpayer can buzz off and mind his own business about all the other money we spend." And I suppose the women footballers who were treated so shabbily can buzz off too.
    What is needed is a Swim Ireland solution, a whole new organisation.

P.S. Isn't it time to restart that old chestnut of a thread that we haven't seen for ages: "What does the GAA do with all its money?" :D. :D. :D

How many have actually gotten off their arses and done anything apart from whinging? How many fans are actually members of the clubs they support? How many take jobs volunteering and doing the hard work? Or are they there whinging and moaning at others saying "you must do better, but I'm not actually going to help".

Yeah, as an outsider, it looks like the FAI is badly run and indeed it was awful that the women had to change tracksuits in the toilets because they wanted them back. Therese are not new revelations however, and the FAI members, for the most part, have been happy to let this poor management continue. And as a private organisation, they are well within their rights to run it in whatever way they see fit.

The public only have oversight of the public money that the state invests in the FAI for specific programmes, and there is no evidence that this money has been misspent. The reason Sport Ireland need to know material changes in the FAIs financial position is so that the money it invests doesn't vanish in the event of an insolvency. While the public might care about how soccer is governed, the state has a very limited interest in it. If the FAI refuses to participate in state programmes in future it won't ever have to answer to oireachtas committees only to it's members. The fact that the FAI organise teams to play in green for Ireland doesn't mean they have to be more accountable than any other private organisation.

And up to now, the board has had the support of it's members.

So maybe the former CEO or board is not the problem, but the attitudes of the people that matter (and the majority up to now), the members of the FAI that have resisted change

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

even with john the new board will have a lot of improvements to make and it won't be along I'd before they will be wanted out by some fans !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement