Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's New Order and Collect System is Rubbish!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Machines are great if you're in a foreign country and don't speak the lingo, even better in the ones where you can pay directly by credit card, just wash your hands, nay scrub your hands, after using one https://www.newsweek.com/mcdonalds-touchscreen-machines-tested-have-fecal-matter-investigation-finds-1234954

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Machines are great if you're in a foreign country and don't speak the lingo, even better in the ones where you can pay directly by credit card, just wash your hands, nay scrub your hands, after using one https://www.newsweek.com/mcdonalds-touchscreen-machines-tested-have-fecal-matter-investigation-finds-1234954

Everything that other people have touched will probably have some level of fecal matter on it - ATM touchscreens, door handles, the button on the bus... Best not to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They're good for customising your burgers etc and knowing that it probably won't be messed up. Plus if you're in a foreign country you can avoid any language issues and switch the machine to English. If you're eating in mcdonalds it's probably for convenience reasons in the first place, so anything that adds to that convenience helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

jester77 wrote: »
    Haven't been to McDs in years. How is it different to the older system, where you could order on the touch screen, tap to pay and then pick up at the counter?

That system was good the few times I used it. Didn't think it needed any improvements

In some McDonald's in France, they will actually deliver the food to your table as well (provided you are sitting in a designated seating area on the ground floor); I'm certain that McDonald's in Cork city centre had the same system when I was there about a year ago(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How about you stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think?

I will grant them one bit of praise, whoever came up with throwing in a cheap plastic toy with the happy meals had a stroke of genius.

My kids will choose McDonald's over much better fast food restaurants (and not so fast food joints) any day of the week, and its purely down to the toy.

Half the time they don't even bother with eating the food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

El Tarangu wrote: »
    In some McDonald's in France, they will actually deliver the food to your table as well (provided you are sitting in a designated seating area on the ground floor); I'm certain that McDonald's in Cork city centre had the same system when I was there about a year ago(?)

Did you find the McDonalds in France absolutely disgusting? I mean its basically cardboard over here but in France they seem to have come up with a way to make it taste like mouldy cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

In McDonalds in China and Taiwan which have the touch screen system "table service" is an option. Never tried it so no idea how they know what table you're sitting at etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I dined with the Colonel yesterday. Very agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

McDonalds in Ballincollig definitely had the table service last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ush1 wrote: »
    McDonalds in Ballincollig definitely had the table service last time I was there.

As do Kylemore. Have done for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They have had them here in Toronto for a good while and while I usually just being my own lunch to work they can be quite handy if you're in a packed McDonalds etc on break and needing to get served quick.

The issue with Irish fast food being slow though is really down to the queuing/ordering system. Why is it that seemingly 80% of people after ordering at a fast food place (in Dublin at least) insist on standing right at the front of the queue, blocking anyone else from ordering, when they could just stand to the side and wait for their order?

This, and not touch screen menus, are why a queue that takes maybe 4-5 minutes in Toronto, in Dublin takes north of 20 minutes. Of course plenty of blame also falls on the establishments for not having this system in place or enforcing it.

Oh, and those c*nts who stand in a queue for 10+ minutes and only when they get to the front start to think about what they might want to order and then change their minds 3-4 times and if with any friends decide to have a running conversation about it. There's a special place on hell for those people, right alongside the people who takes a solid 4-5 minutes to take €20 out from an ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Billy86 wrote:
    This, and not touch screen menus, are why a queue that takes maybe 4-5 minutes in Toronto, in Dublin takes north of 20 minutes. Of course plenty of blame also falls on the establishments for not having this system in place or enforcing it.

I'm amazed people will actually queue for this crap, no matter how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm amazed people will actually queue for this crap, no matter how long.

Crap it may be, but when you're in a bind and short on time there may not be many options. Fro. 12-2pm in downtown Toronto absolutely everywhere seems to have huge queues (the cost of base foods here is an utter joke, which also plays into it).

I used to work in tusla as well and during access visits some families would ask if someone could get something from McDonalds (usually when the kids were begging for it, as they do). I was in admin and the workflow could be frantic or completely dead, in which case I would offer to run over so they could stay with their kids etc... I once waited for over 40 minutes in a queue of less than 10,and only then because 2-3 people ahead of me just left from waiting so long. The word 'fast' in Irish fast food is definitely not one to be taken literally!

Their chips are a bit of a guilty pleasure I'll admit, but needs to be kept in mind that they're surely at least as unhealthy as a bag of crisps and should be treated as junk food as should the entire menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think it's ok.

I'm less of a fan of the prepare to order system. Much preferred when the burgers were resting in the heated chute for a few minutes and the cheese would be nicely melted.

I'm less a fan. Now what they do is stage the meat on it own in a cabinet. So the burgers arent any fresher, just the buns and dressings are. What I find now is the food is colder than it used to be and a lot more often than it used to be is properly cold.

I like the system now though, I can have a browse through to see if theres anything else I want without having this awkward silence while the person on the till looks at you looking at the menu. Plus when I order my burger with only ketchup and cheese , it actually gets ordered that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely hate the new system

Def no faster for the customer

Absolutely hate the new system

Def no faster for the customer

I'll often have my food ordered before the person I would have been in front of in the queue is ordering.

If theres no queue it's probably quicker to go up.

Poor Jupiterkid. I think that Monsieur McDonald has little sympathy for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMonlRsJ5hY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually quite like it. It means that when older kid wants a bigger burger than it's in happy meal I can still order that and small chips and small drink without explaining every time that no I don't want Big Mac meal. At one stage I tried to order stuff that is in happy meals without those bloody toys which just land in the bin. Purely because I don't like waste. Good luck trying to explain that to someone at the counter.

Anyway I try to avoid the place as much as possible so it's not an issue I would come across often.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually quite like it. It means that when older kid wants a bigger burger than it's in happy meal I can still order that and small chips and small drink without explaining every time that no I don't want Big Mac meal. At one stage I tried to order stuff that is in happy meals without those bloody toys which just land in the bin. Purely because I don't like waste. Good luck trying to explain that to someone at the counter.

Anyway I try to avoid the place as much as possible so it's not an issue I would come across often.

It's not a happy meal if you don't get a toy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Balanadan wrote: »
    It's not a happy meal if you don't get a toy :(

And look at it abandoned somewhere on the windowsill for couple of weeks. Then you drop it into the bin just before bin collection so none of the kids has a chance to retrieve it and leave it somewhere else and not play with it. It just increases waste pile we already produce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

In some McDonald's in France, they will actually deliver the food to your table as well (provided you are sitting in a designated seating area on the ground floor);

Deliver your food to the table in Copenhagen also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Berserker wrote: »
    Deliver your food to the table in Copenhagen also.

Deliver it here too - you just take a number table sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I think its great. I hate ordering with the kids in front of a person but its grand with a machine. It does skip the queues and its far far easier to see everything and the prices. Also, I travel quiet a bit so having a machine that I can choose to order in English without interacting with anyone is just sublime for a socially awkward gob5hite like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was a story dong the rounds a few months after these were introduced after tests detected traces of faeces on a significant proportion of the touch screens.

So if you do decide to use these screens I would suggest washing your hands before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

BPKS wrote: »
    There was a story dong the rounds a few months after these were introduced after tests detected traces of faeces on a significant proportion of the touch screens.

So if you do decide to use these screens I would suggest washing your hands before and after

Must be where I'm going wrong, I was rubbing my bare arse off the screen trying to order stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

BPKS wrote: »

theres traces of fecal matter on absolutely everything touched by the general public...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

seamus wrote: »
    Haven't been to McDonald's in years. Worst fast food by a mile.

Any road, I doubt these terminals are particularly difficult. They're designed so that the lowest common denominator (i.e. McD's main customers) can use them.

The whole self-service thing is a fascinating exercise in human behaviour though. They''ve been in supermarkets for nearly 15 years now and you still hear people complaining about them - always complaining about problems they caused. "Please place item in the bagging area" means put the fncking thing down you idiot. Stop looking blankly at the screen like it has the space shuttle launch controls on it.
    No one is saying they're too complicated. Just that it takes forever. Go in with 4 people and order on the touch screen, including a couple of kids happy meals with a million options takes fúcking ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The only thing I buy in McDonalds is the occasional milkshake. I went in for one the other day but instead walked straight back out. I like just going up to the counter and asking for what I want. That's not possible anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Mmmm deal with a machine or a dead behind the eyes teenager....

Thats a hard one!

Tip for anyone in the area stay the fook out of the McDonalds in Citywest!!

I dont eat the food but once in while the kids get a happy meal or whatever but jesus the clowns working in there from management to the ones on the bottom there all ****e. They dont have a clue what there at.

The Dominos across the street is the very same and the chopped next door so bit of a theme going on there :pac: I wonder could it possibly be something to do with where there finding there staff......

• Advertisement

. I like just going up to the counter and asking for what I want. That's not possible anymore.

How is it not possible?

Advertisement