Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work in a meat factory?

Options
  • 09-04-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Exploring potential backpacking jobs online and one of them was working on the killing floor in a beef plant.

Would you do it?

Comments

Like Coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

A backpacker won't be given that job, end of. Unless it's just washing floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Watch some videos and then have another think about it.

Any particular reason you are thinking about a meat factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Now, I wouldn't be a little lamb or anything but I would have a beef with doing this job. We all know how the sausage is made but I reckon I'd be too chicken to pork up to an animal and do it myself. Venison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Worked in a chicken factory for 6 months. That wasn't great, meat factory would be even worse I'd imagine.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Spent about six months working in one in various roles. Wouldn't recommend it.
    Can't stand the smell of tripe as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Unearthly wrote: »
    Animals are killed in a lovely humane and ethical way so it would be a pleasant place to work at

Is having your throat slit with a razor sharp knife humane?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gael23 wrote: »

if that's your attitude why bother starting the thread unless you are some kind of troll trying to wind everyone up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

This is only performed for Halal or Kosher meat. Otherwise the animal has a bolt pushed into its skull which scrambles the brain which is supposed to render it unable to feel pain before its throat is cut and the blood drained.

But this can depend on the competence and training of the person wielding the captive bolt gun. Also the animals move quite quickly through the chutes, so even for well trained individuals it can be hard to ensure that you stun the animal properly each time.

And as has been said above, it would not be normal practice, especially in countries where animal welfare is the norm to have a blow-in doing the actual stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your standing in one place all day doing the same job if it's on the killing line.

If you like that go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Now, I wouldn't be a little lamb or anything but I would have a beef with doing this job. We all know how the sausage is made but I reckon I'd be too chicken to pork up to an animal and do it myself. Venison.

Always nice to meat someone who appreciates a good pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You’ll be given a yard brush and a power house OP and be told to clean

A backpacker won’t be doing anything more responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on how squeamish you are OP.
    I'm from a farming background and I know where food comes from. It doesn't bother me.
    I've seen the process and once it's carried out correctly it's fine.
    It's generally fairly predictable those who aren't suited to the industry/work before they enter it. Some even have issues with working in the packing/labeling department.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cash in hand work is what you need if backpacking.
    Waiting weeks to get paid would be a pain.

I’m not sure I could walk up to a strong healthy animal and rather brutally end it’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Worked in one during summer holidays from 16-18
    Biggest motivation I needed to get an education

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Exploring potential backpacking jobs online and one of them was working on the killing floor in a beef plant.

Would you do it?

C'mon Jimmy, lets take a peek at the killing floor. Don’t let the name throw you, Jimmy. It’s not really a floor; it’s more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported.

Worked in one during summer holidays from 16-18
    Biggest motivation I needed to get an education

You wouldn’t recommend then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

You wouldn’t recommend then?

a you would get used to it after 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I’m not sure I could walk up to a strong healthy animal and rather brutally end it’s life.

Don't worry, you won't be.

As was mentioned previously to you, you'll be put washing or tidying up. Skilled workers get jobs that require skills that they obtained previously to starting. Yours will be box making and labelling and general non skilled operations. You probably won't even see the line, never mind have to kill an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Plenty of scholarly studies confirm longterm employees can suffer psychological distress such as PTSD for example, resulting in increased domestic and societal violence, alcohol and drug abuse, also carpal tunnel syndrome and more from exposure to the daily routine in meat factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

auspicious wrote: »
    Plenty of scholarly studies confirm longterm employees can suffer psychological distress such as PTSD for example, resulting in increased domestic and societal violence, alcohol and drug abuse, also carpal tunnel syndrome and more from exposure to the daily routine in meat factories.
    I am fcuked so.

Worked in one in the early 90's.

I remember an articulated truck came in one day with a full load of hanging.
    The trailer was meant to be cooled around the 0 mark.

We found out that the fridge on the trailer wasn't working and was actually blowing hot air into it when we opened the doors...

You can imagine the reaction..

Rotten........

NoDrama wrote: »
    Worked in one in the early 90's.

I remember an articulated truck came in one day with a full load of hanging.
    The trailer was meant to be cooled around the 0 mark.

We found out that the fridge on the trailer wasn't working and was actually blowing hot air into it when we opened the doors...

You can imagine the reaction..

Rotten........

"...Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that 10 out of 22 workers who were tested carried potentially deadly bacteria..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

From a farming backround so use to the usual stuff. But when you see a live animal being quartered after a captive bolt misfire that didnt actually do the job. Twas enough for me never to step foot in the place again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

OP don't fool yourself for one minute, a cow would murder you and your whole family if it had the chance!

From a farming backround so use to the usual stuff. But when you see a live animal being quartered after a captive bolt misfire that didnt actually do the job. Twas enough for me never to step foot in the place again

I'm wondering why not reload? Is there no observation or proceedure to address a misfire?
    Is it the workload which does not allow a slow-down even for a potential breach of protocol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'll call BS on this. I think they'd have discovered the misfire long before quartering the carcass. Bleeding ,which happens directly after stunning would render the carcass lifeless. Quartering is done well down the line after stunning.

Advertisement