Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Age Hippies in Our Emerald Isle

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I also find a lot of them are believers in conspiracy theories.

one local hippy was trying to convince me that the onset of 5G is the western world's way of population mind control :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Being from West Cork I'm pretty familiar with them. You had a lot of what could be called old school hippies who came over from early 70's onwards. Bigger wave in the 80's/90's of what would be termed crusties or New Age Travellers. Most would be from fairly middle class backgrounds. Get on fine with most of them but there are a few who I find have a bit of a sniffy attitude towards "natives" thinking the're above them. I also find a lot of them are believers in conspiracy theories and crackpot alternative medicine, and some would be anti vaxers.

I was referring to the sniffy attitude ones earlier. I'd agree with them on some alternative medicine for example looking after your diet and your health rather than running to the doctor for an antibiotic when you get a sniffle. Alternative medicine got me up and going again when a top consultant told me I'd have to stay off work for a year.

A neighbour's nephew got very sick after a vaccination a few years ago and never fully recovered. I don't know enough to say whether there is a connection or not. She is convinced there was. I was lucky to grow up at a time when measles, mumps and chickenpox were considered rites of passage. Children get far more vaccinations now than we did in the 1970s but most seem to be fine.
    fryup wrote: »
    one local hippy was trying to convince me that the onset of 5G is the western world's way of population mind control :rolleyes:

Birds and bees don't like 5G. Whatever about population mind control, I wouldn't like a planet without birds or bees. Also some people claim trees are being cut down to facilitate the transmission of 5G signal. It would be a shame if too many trees were cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I live just outside Leitrim and I know exactly what youre talking about. Ive lived in Dublin and other parts of the country and have never encountered as many artsy, crustie English people as I have in the west, particularly Leitrim. I wonder has it anything to do with the cheap rent and art colleges close by in both Sligo and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I wonder has it anything to do with the cheap rent and art colleges close by in both Sligo and Galway.

It has everything to do with cheap rent. Not even cheap rent. A small rural bungalow can be picked up for <50k in Leitrim/Roscommon, and less in some cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Belief in Ley lines are a big thing with them, I remember one guy who was convinced that the government in Britain was deliberately building roads through ley lines to disrupt their supposed psychic power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Emme wrote: »
    Good for you Greentopia. You made an alternative life for yourself but you were lucky you had the chance to do so.

Not everyone has choices. Some have family responsibilities from a young age and that can limit their choices. This is a concept some people cannot grasp. Responsibility can grind people down - all they can be concerned with is getting through what life keeps throwing at them. In the eyes of some they don't look beyond the surface of the commuting wage slave but the reality is that this "wage slave" may be reaponsible for running other peoples' show as well as theirs. Hence no time for exploring other career avenues or discovering themselves.

Incidentally I have read some of Noam Chomsky's books but not the one you recommended. Thank you for making some excellent recommendations to keep me occupied on my long commute ;)

Ok, sorry if I came across as harsh, I know some people have responsibilities foisted upon them that can make life harder. I hope for the day when you have a bit more control and self determination over your life (if indeed that is your situation) and you will be free to explore other options and opportunities should you wish to do so.

And you're welcome :) The book I recommended was Bertrand Russells, but if you haven't read Prof. Chomsky's 'On Anarchism' book that's a good one too.

I live just outside Leitrim and I know exactly what youre talking about. Ive lived in Dublin and other parts of the country and have never encountered as many artsy, crustie English people as I have in the west, particularly Leitrim. I wonder has it anything to do with the cheap rent and art colleges close by in both Sligo and Galway.

Cheap rent and cheap land. Very affordable compared to most places in England. Leitrim is the new West Cork :) Loads settling up there. Also you have the Organic Centre in Rossinver running courses and events and community gardens which is a big draw for them. All started by English horticulturists with degrees in philosophy and politics in the 70s who themselves came here for the Good Life.

We'd hardly have the organic sector we have or the tiny percentage of land we do have under organic certification (less than 2% which is very low by European standards) if it wasn't for all the English, Dutch and Germans who came here in the 70's and later who pioneered growing food without any chemicals. There were very few Irish famers doing so as the supports weren't there and many are wedded to conventional methods and EU farm subsidies.

I know some "blow-ins" in the West who still complain that their farmer neighbours think they're mad not to tear down their cottages and old farmhouses and build new bungalows or why they bother trying permaculture forest farming or no dig on their poor thin soil when they should be grazing cattle or sheep on it :pac::( or growing Sikta forest deserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Belief in Ley lines are a big thing with them, I remember one guy who was convinced that the government in Britain was deliberately building roads through ley lines to disrupt their supposed psychic power.

Hippy ley lines, not actual ley lines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A lot of the foodie culture that Cork is making hay from these days ("De capital of food biy, we're pure brilliant") came from these hippies doing their thing out in Ballydehob and Schull in West Cork.

Yurt! wrote: »
    A lot of the foodie culture that Cork is making hay from these days ("De capital of food biy, we're pure brilliant") came from these hippies doing their thing out in Ballydehob and Schull in West Cork.

In fairness to farmers they are trying to earn a living, support a family and most don't have the means to take risks with alternatives. Those who do are often wealthier than most other farmers around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Greentopia wrote: »

I have no problem and believe everyone should be in control of work they enjoy doing, it's wage slavery drudgery and the Protestant work ethic I have a problem with. I'd recommend Bertrand Russell' 'In praise of Idleness and other Essays', any of Noam Chomsky's books on anarchism the Idler website and Tom Hodgkinson or Mark Boyles books. They all helped me get off the treadmill.

Although chasing wealth beyond your needs is indeed a folly of the western culture, I don't have any faith in these alternative proposals. Where does the money come from to pay the police? How do we decide who gets to live on Killiney Hill; houses are scarce there?

Much modern interest in anarchism was sparked by Johnny Rotten's lyrics but even he has come out to deride them saying "how can anarchists get around without roads?"
    I'd agree with them on some alternative medicine for example looking after your diet and your health rather than running to the doctor for an antibiotic when you get a sniffle.

Might be a little bit of a hippie myself so after all! :D
    Belief in Ley lines are a big thing with them...

Funny how these things are rife in places like Cornwall and Leitrim and never run down places like Threadneedle St. or the IFSC!

Birds and bees don't like 5G. Whatever about population mind control, I wouldn't like a planet without birds or bees. Also some people claim trees are being cut down to facilitate the transmission of 5G signal. It would be a shame if too many trees were cut down.

i've heard that as well....BUT has it been scientifically proven yet?

topper75 wrote: »
    Funny how these things are rife in places like Cornwall and Leitrim and never run down places like Threadneedle St. or the IFSC!

Freemasons might argue differently if they weren't bound to secrecy.

Although chasing wealth beyond your needs is indeed a folly of the western culture, I don't have any faith in these alternative proposals. Where does the money come from to pay the police?
    Much modern interest in anarchism was sparked by Johnny Rotten's lyrics but even he has come out to deride them saying "how can anarchists get around without roads?"

well said, its all very well spouting this hippy utopia ...but it won't tally in the real world

most of them are dreamers

Although chasing wealth beyond your needs is indeed a folly of the western culture, I don't have any faith in these alternative proposals. Where does the money come from to pay the police? How do we decide who gets to live on Killiney Hill; houses are scarce there?

Much modern interest in anarchism was sparked by Johnny Rotten's lyrics but even he has come out to deride them saying "how can anarchists get around without roads?"!

Not a discussion for this thread I think, but basically without a state needed to support private property rights and the end of capitalism we believe a police force as we have it now would over time cease to become a necessity. If you're interested:
    https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/scott-of-the-insurgency-culture-collective-the-anarchist-response-to-crime

This site is probably the most comprehensive on the net for answers to how anarchism works so you will find a lot of info there. https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/the-anarchist-faq-editorial-collective-an-anarchist-faq

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Might be a little bit of a hippie myself so after all! :D

Funny how these things are rife in places like Cornwall and Leitrim and never run down places like Threadneedle St. or the Imob

Co Clare/ South Galway especially around east Clare is peppered with these people.

Mostly old money, huge inheritance and they are never short of cash.

The best of motorcycles, heating systems, wooden northern European style barn's, German style interiors, huge stove's and comfort's.

I know one lady she's absolutely stunning looking lives in a wodden style log cabin, probably mid 50's very eloquent and ever so mannerly.
    Has the best sounds system, TVs, rug's, quaint Georgian furniture, four-poster bed, underfloor heating, solar power and an oasis of a garden.
    She does 15 hour's volunteer work a week, probably has 1000,000 + in the bank.
    Drive's a 02 golf and has lot's of holidays, they're very practical.

I wouldn't judge them or look down on them, because if I could do what she's doing I'd live similarly.

They're quite content.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lads was there a hippie encampment in the Slieve Blooms back in the late 70s early 80s?

My mother has a memory of a fella who identified as 'towel'. He showed up on their back door one evening like a stray cat. They brought him in and fed him and he returned a few more times over the next couple of months. Fella said he was living in a camp with others but did not specify what type of camp.

There was IRA activity in the area at the time and we think they ran them off eventually.

My mother to this day wonders what became of towel.

In fairness to farmers they are trying to earn a living, support a family and most don't have the means to take risks with alternatives. Those who do are often wealthier than most other farmers around.

I can understand that, however farmers have access to land which means they can diversify, and looking at prices for organic produce as opposed to conventionally farmed it's clear which is more profitable, even if it takes more work and man power if you wish to go big scale. Organic certification takes a year if you're organised and the land is clean, two at most.

I know several organic vegetable producers (I worked for a few and rented my own piece of land from one and sold organic produce I grew there to a local market and a few restaurants). There is a decent living to be made in it if you're prepared to put in the time and work.
    Premium prices can also be expected from organic, chicken, beef and free range pig meat products at markets, SuperValu and to restaurants.
    And most farmers could set aside one or two acres to diversify in this way. Get in some WOOFers to help with harvesting and packaging if needed.

Far less risky to invest in a growing sector like organic, keep your business small and customers local and sell direct to consumers and restaurants than intensive farming IMO, where many depend on farm payments to survive and prices for animals like sheep and beef cattle are so low and many farmers struggle to make a living from them anyway. And then you have factories and supermarkets squeezing the farmers too and been forced to accept the low profit margins that goes with dealing with them.

Organic producers and farmers work hard with very little state supports unlike conventional farmers who often get big subsidies and payments from the EU.

I started my business with very little and know many others who have done the same. All you need is the knowledge, a piece of land (that can be rented), hard work and good contacts.

Of course there are those with a lot of money who sell their homes in the UK or other countries and come here and are able to set up profitable businesses but they are by no means the majority. It takes time to build up a business like that in any case, especially with the lack of supports organic farmers take for granted in other EU countries.

I know many 'hippy' types who earn a decent living doing several things. One lovely lady I know has a few acres in Roscommon that she's turned into a food forest where she sells her garden excess produce, she has an honesty box selling her chickens eggs at the farm gate, she blogs and has a YouTube channel, she sells photos and calenders of her gorgeous permaculture small holding on Etsy and her website, she has written books on her experience over the 14 years she's been there and is largely self sufficient and paying off a mortgage.
    She's had so many people visiting her to see how she lives she had to stop it as she had no time for anything else!

All it takes is imagination, a desire and openness to want to learn about more unconventional ways to live and earn a living and step outside what we are conditioned to believe is the right way to live, and a willingness to work hard to get it. It's not for everyone I agree and some have insurmountable barriers to breaking out of the rat race, but many more people could live like that if they really wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I meet a lot of them through working at various festivals around the country, I'd be pretty much the antithesis of them but get on fine with them, they seem to just live for festivals, the session and making art installations. An eccentric bunch of characters but sure that's what adds spice to life.

Yeah maybe they are a bit more open minded than the rest of us who do the 9 to 5 crap and have no money anyway at the end of the month.

Funny how these things are rife in places like Cornwall and Leitrim and never run down places like Threadneedle St. or the Imob

Because they look for places that have a great quality of life and are cheap and beautiful.
    They see the potential for that in places like Leitrim that has relatively cheap houses and land for sale, whereas many Irish people especially if they have money would only see the downsides of somewhere like that and think it's too backward or too remote, or why would you want to live in Leitrim if you can live in Dublin and be near great shops, nightlife and so on. Once you go on the treadmill of wanting the lifestyle most Irish people want and having to work all hours to pay for extortionate rents and childcare, trying to save for a €300k mortgage, long commutes, stress, job insecurity etc, then another way of living seems unimaginable it seems.
    Of course there are some who realise there is more to life that all that and move to the countryside to start their own little cottage industries (like me!) but most don't seem to even consider that, or think there are too many obstacles in their way to achieving it.

They come here for a simpler life away from built up cities, stress, commuting, keeping up with the Jones mentality and consumerism in modern life. They eschew all that in favour of a better quality of life surrounded by beautiful nature and clean air, water and food; and they want a place they can bring up children safely without all the dangers and distractions of modern living.
    nthclare wrote: »
    Co Clare/ South Galway especially around east Clare is peppered with these people.

Mostly old money, huge inheritance and they are never short of cash.

The best of motorcycles, heating systems, wooden northern European style barn's, German style interiors, huge stove's and comfort's.

I know one lady she's absolutely stunning looking lives in a wodden style log cabin, probably mid 50's very eloquent and ever so mannerly.
    Has the best sounds system, TVs, rug's, quaint Georgian furniture, four-poster bed, underfloor heating, solar power and an oasis of a garden.
    She does 15 hour's volunteer work a week, probably has 1000,000 + in the bank.
    Drive's a 02 golf and has lot's of holidays, they're very practical.

I wouldn't judge them or look down on them, because if I could do what she's doing I'd live similarly.

They're quite content.

Yes, know a few too. One was my boss in an art gallery I worked. Old money, public (i.e. private) school educated in the UK, bought an old farm and lots of land in Wicklow in the 70s for half nothing and started a family there, an artist who does what he wants and has a very contented life. His house is old but beautiful-all old stone work, a micro-wind turbine, polytunnels for food, gallery and exhibition space for his work, lots of foreign holidays too.
    And yes very practical too-drives an old banger and dresses in tweeds and Burberry he's had for 20 years and has the same mobile that's lasted him the last 5 years! No TV though I don't think.

Most old money like him are clever and don't put their money into rapidly depreciating flashy cars or other consumables and spend money only on quality of life items that will last or unique experiences and holidays. They invest their money well too and don't fritter it away on the latest gadgets and 'must have' consumables. They'll buy once what they need, and the best.

• Advertisement

No TV though I don't think.

thats the giveaway isn't it......no TV + Vegan + Eccentric dress sense & behaviour = New age Hippy :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Yeah maybe they are a bit more open minded than the rest of us who do the 9 to 5 crap and have no money anyway at the end of the month.

Oh no. Not everyone is as miserable as you?

Grow up lol

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

That's one the attractions for my partner in moving here. He has a successful business in Germany, earns a high wage and has what most would consider a decent standard of life there, yet he has little left at the end of the month because he's self employed and taxed to the hilt, has to pay 13% of his income on health insurance, and rents for his apartment and business have become very high there in a city that has experienced a huge influx of immigrants and refugees in recent years.

He's happy with his job because he has full control over how he works and his working hours, but he thinks Germany is not the same country as it once was and the quality of services has declined (especially the health system). It may be "crying from a high place" so to say but still.

There are many like him who want to step out of that rat race and see a simpler life somewhere like West Cork or East Clare as the antithesis of the urban rat race so they come here. And most make a success of it because they come with savings, education, skills and expertise (sometimes unique ones not found here), a different way of thinking and a good work ethic from their home countries. They're good at finding niches and business opportunities that perhaps haven't arrived here yet.

.....no TV
    We don't all need a weekly Tubridy fix you know :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was always drawn to the hippie life and philosophy, but not for me. I'm not adaptable enough.

I like the genuine types though, not the egocentric pr1cks who give off the aura, but are still self serving pr1cks, so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭funkyuser

Mossy Bottom on youtube

"Cottage restoration, self-sufficiency and sustainable living on a smallholding in western Ireland!"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vcadTSSQKVsdOudnbqwtg/videos

Advertisement