Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Age Hippies in Our Emerald Isle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I like the sound of these hippies. Do you have to be heroin to join them or is that just a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

From some of the comments it's seems people don't like them because they're different.
    And of course this ignorance is thinly veiled in a ostensibly noble denunciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I know a few of these new found spirituality types, all gone vegan to keep their body safe but put all sorts of unknown drugs into their body on the regular HA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I got a flat tyre leaving Mizen head one Sunday evening last summer. One of them older types kindly stopped and changed if for me. I was eternally grateful, I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

lcwill wrote: »
    I suppose to be really Irish you need the right religion, right politics and right skin colour, as well as the right accent?

Yawwwwwwn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yawwwwwwn

Is that a yes? I thought we were past the days of not trusting anyone with an English accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

topper75 wrote: »
    Nasty shower them. They always try to roll you into actually having to do work in offices and factories like mere normal people.

Yes because those are the only choices available in life eh? offices and factories. :rolleyes:

I've managed to earn a crust for many years without going near either of them. Shocking I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No suck thing as hippies anymore just crazy left wing liberals now.

Post #5, is it getting better or worse? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They've been here for 40 or 50 years now. Where have you been all this time OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Think I saw one of them working at the NCT in Northpoint... some smug douche in a stupid looking beanie hat?

The asshole refused to test my car because of an allergy to a few dog hairs in the car! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Having your kid sport a rats tail should be an automatic Tusla referral in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not everyone feels there is no option but 20k wedding, mortgage, two veg, two mazdas and 9 to 5 happily ever after. But of course everyone outside the norm is a source for suspicion. Surely they must be on the social. Or selling drugs or something. Or at the very least they must be having more fun (sex) than we do. The bastards.

Fair play to carve out something for themselves outside the rat race and be happy with it. Live and let live folks. What harm do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Living somewhere like that sounds like my dream - minus the questionable hygiene, dreads, conspiracy theories and drugs though! But the idea of (comfortable) sustainable living, out of the rat race definitely appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I know one lad who moved over here with his family in the 80s when they were getting a lot of stick in UK. he reconned that there has been another influx of his people since the terrorist laws have been introduced in the uk.
    Quiet a lot are buying old bardges and doing them up and living on the waterways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Greentopia wrote: »
    Yes because those are the only choices available in life eh? offices and factories. :rolleyes:

I've managed to earn a crust for many years without going near either of them. Shocking I know.

I was responding to the Intreo story. You can work at anything you like of course. I was talking about resentment felt towards state authorities who dare enquire about their lack of serious job searching or dare offer them work that they are not wild about. Some high-minded hippy types feel it is their right to stay on the dole. These same types then try to assuage that by claiming to be 'saving the earth'.

Yeah, get lost. A society that tolerates this tolerates far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not everyone feels there is no option but 20k wedding, mortgage, two veg, two mazdas and 9 to 5 happily ever after. But of course everyone outside the norm is a source for suspicion. Surely they must be on the social. Or selling drugs or something. Or at the very least they must be having more fun (sex) than we do. The bastards.

Fair play to carve out something for themselves outside the rat race and be happy with it. Live and let live folks. What harm do they?

If you are not demanding that Irish working taxpayers have to fund this, then I guess you are perfectly entitled.

You seem to equate anybody showing concern about welfare abuse as narrow-minded, which is....

topper75 wrote: »
    I was responding to the Intreo story.
    You can work at anything you like of course. I was talking about resentment felt towards state authorities who dare enquire about their lack of serious job searching or dare offer them work that they are not wild about. Some high-minded hippy types feel it is their right to stay on the dole. These same types then try to assuage that by claiming to be 'saving the earth'.

Yeah, get lost. A society that tolerates this tolerates far too much.

I think it's more than fair for them to enquire about the seriousness of someone's job searching efforts because you'll always get a few who take the piss and don't want to work, but I think if someone displays an obvious keen interest in a certain type of work and know what they're talking about they should be taken seriously and listened to at least. All he had to do was ask what it was and I would have explained.

"High minded"... well nothing wrong with that but those I know would prefer not to stay on the dole but they feel the jobs on offer don't fit their education. The hippy types I know all have degrees in subjects they're never going to find work in unless they move to Dublin (e.g. Modern History, MA in Classics thinking of two I know) and they didn't come here to move back to the rat race, they want the good life in the country and 'save the earth' jobs like organic growing. One English guy I know with an English Lit. degree from Oxford did compromise and got work as a builder but most don't and they stick to whatever their plans are.

Some people like that don't fit into any neat category of employment Intreo or SW have because some become self employed when they come here in more than one job, have trust funds or inheritances anyway and maybe have something going on in their home country too, or they're in areas that fall between or outside the rules and it comes down then to the discretion of whoever is dealing with them.

Sometimes it works to their advantage if the officials don't know what to do with them. I have two close friends both artists (primarily), and they're working full time yet on the dole for literally decades, but at a reduced rate because they can't make a living from earnings alone (like 90% of artists). The SW know they're working and they just have to show accounts every six months or so to the Inspector to prove how much they're earning from exhibitions or whatever.
    I myself was told by a Deciding Officer I could work in self-employment when the front line staff told me this was not possible.

It helps a lot if you have confidence, ask to talk directly to someone higher in the food chain if you get fobbed of at the counter, and go in basically telling them what you want, and you're well spoken and charming.
    Or be like another creative German friend in an arse end of no-where town who's smart and knows exactly what she's entitled to with SW and how to work the system to her advantage while keeping within the rules. She often has to explain some things to them or correct some of the front line staff because half of them are frankly clueless and don't even know their own rules and allowances so she bypasses them and goes higher up.
    I lived in Germany and had to deal with their Arbeitsamt and you get only exactly what you're entitled to and no more and there's no leniency, discretion or rule bending or flat out ignoring the rules that happens here in officialdom. And by golly they know their job too. It's a lot easier there to just get a job than be on the dole!

Some of these people I know have told me they can't believe how easy it is here to get the dole long term and it's certainly not like that in their own countries where it's more time restricted. Oh and the ones who got called to Turas Nua got out of it in various creative ways too...but that's another story and time for 2nd sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

That's terrible. We're all doomed !

I think they've been coming to Ireland for decades . Some are good company , just avoid the clothes-pegs-for-hair-accessories variety . Too flaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

What annoys me about some of these people is that they look down their very well-educated noses at people in regular jobs who have worked at their lives doing the same thing. They think these people are dull and unimaginative. In most cases these so-called "dull and unimaginative" people have no choice but to work for a living. If they have spare time outside work and family responsibilities they do what they want in that time.

The taxes of the "dull and unimaginative" people are funding the lifestyle of the new age types who use their "creativity and imagination" to work the Irish welfare system to their advantage so they can live lives of leisure. On the backs of the "dull and unimaginative" people they look down on. It's the feudal and planter mentality all over again!

What's the point of being well-educated if you don't use that education getting up off your backside, getting a job and paying your way?

Emme wrote: »
    What annoys me about some of these people is that they look down their very well-educated noses at people in regular jobs who have worked at their lives doing the same thing. They think these people are dull and unimaginative. In most cases these so-called "dull and unimaginative" people have no choice but to work for a living. If they have spare time outside work and family responsibilities they do what they want in that time.

The taxes of the "dull and unimaginative" people are funding the lifestyle of the new age types who use their "creativity and imagination" to work the Irish welfare system to their advantage so they can live lives of leisure. On the backs of the "dull and unimaginative" people they look down on. It's the feudal and planter mentality all over again!

What's the point of being well-educated if you don't use that education getting up off your backside, getting a job and paying your way?

I have seen this . The term ''straights'' is sometimes used for those seen as stupid enough to work.

• Advertisement

It irritates me when people laud themselves as above the ordinary while claiming benefits that keep them afloat on the back of the taxes paid by the ordinaries.

On the subject of New Agey types, I've an American friend who visited Ireland for a week and told me he 'Literally breathed in the mysticism and spirituality' of the country. I didn't ask him what he meant for fear he'd actually tell me. Same guy 'puts things out to the universe'.

Harmless but really annoying.

Candie wrote: »
    'puts things out to the universe'.

I resemble that remark :)

Always found that kind of thing more enjoyable than prayer, anyway .

I resemble that remark :)

And now we can NEVER be lovers. :(

Candie wrote: »
    And now we can NEVER be lovers. :(

I can change !

It's too late, Widders. The magic is gone. :(

I've got these crystals that bounce sunlight off the moon, which then beams directly into my soul and accords me superpowers like climbing three flights of stairs. I once overdosed on a bottle of G47 from the local homeopath, had to use the bathroom twice in an hour.

I don't look down my nose at anyone but I always get a strong smell of resentment and jealousy in comments like this.
    How dare people step outside the 9-5 paradigm! well actually everyone who is fit and able bodied and of sound mind DOES have a choice what they decide to do in life. Yes it's easy to go along with the herd when you're in young (and of course the conservative Irish education system wants people to go down the well trodden path of finding the "good" job and doesn't want people to think for themselves), but like I said previously, we should be expected to have a bit more self-awareness and understanding of the possibilities in life and the drawbacks of the daily grind of 9-5 (if you are not completely satisfied doing that) by the time you reach your thirties. It's never too late then to change course if you don't like what you do.

I know that's not what you want to hear bit it's true. If you (generic not specific) don't like the daily grind step off it and change your life! we only get the one go around. The problem is people are guided too much by what they think is expected of them to be a good citizen by their family, friends, society, and then wonder why they're stressed, overworked, burned out, depressed and in debt.
    There's not an epidemic of anti-depressant usage because all those people are happy!

I wasn't happy in the job I had in my twenties (I was in 9-5 wage slavery) so I looked at what I could do to change that. I quit, got redundancy and moved to another country and got a better job with far better working conditions.
    After that I spent time in another country working in horticulture and permaculture and began designing knitwear because I had so much time to really think about what I wanted to do with my life and what my passions are. Now I'm back here and continuing with the knitwear business. I know it's not easy but life is short and who wants to spend it on the M50 for hours every day if you hate your job and you could do something you love instead?

I did this by myself btw, I'm not loaded and I don't have any family ready to bail me out like some friends of mine if things went wrong.

I think only a minority live completely on the dole. Most I know pay their own way to some extent at least or have a portfolio of jobs where if one thing goes slack they have something else to bring in money. Most creative people like myself have several irons in the fire. Anyway I'm living my own life, I don't care who "pays their way" to a capitalist system I would gladly see dismantled.

The point of an education primarily is to improve one's mind and become a better skilled, well rounded, thinking individual. How about learning for its own sake? That's why I got my degree.

I have no problem and believe everyone should be in control of work they enjoy doing, it's wage slavery drudgery and the Protestant work ethic I have a problem with. I'd recommend Bertrand Russell' 'In praise of Idleness and other Essays', any of Noam Chomsky's books on anarchism the Idler website and Tom Hodgkinson or Mark Boyles books. They all helped me get off the treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems to me that Ireland is a bit of a magnet for new age hippie/crustie types who turn on, tune in and drop out in this country, being especially attracted to places like West Cork and Leitrim, where they set up communes and do artistic and crafts-based pursuits.

The locals seem to tolerate them as they largely keep to themselves.

Do you agree with my observation? Do you actually like the fact that we seem to attract English crusties? Or would you prefer if these patchouli oil wearing types just had a bath, cut their dreads off and became members of functioning society?

At least they don't attract widespread ire on here unlike single mothers on welfare or our own well known ethnic minority...

Do they really have hygiene issues? I’ve met loads of new age hippies, mostly with English accents, in west Cork, and they’re lovely, and perfectly clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Good for you Greentopia. You made an alternative life for yourself but you were lucky you had the chance to do so.

Not everyone has choices. Some have family responsibilities from a young age and that can limit their choices. This is a concept some people cannot grasp. Responsibility can grind people down - all they can be concerned with is getting through what life keeps throwing at them. In the eyes of some they don't look beyond the surface of the commuting wage slave but the reality is that this "wage slave" may be reaponsible for running other peoples' show as well as theirs. Hence no time for exploring other career avenues or discovering themselves.

Incidentally I have read some of Noam Chomsky's books but not the one you recommended. Thank you for making some excellent recommendations to keep me occupied on my long commute ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Being from West Cork I'm pretty familiar with them. You had a lot of what could be called old school hippies who came over from early 70's onwards. Bigger wave in the 80's/90's of what would be termed crusties or New Age Travellers. Most would be from fairly middle class backgrounds. Get on fine with most of them but there are a few who I find have a bit of a sniffy attitude towards "natives" thinking the're above them. I also find a lot of them are believers in conspiracy theories and crackpot alternative medicine, and some would be anti vaxers.

Advertisement