Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Age Hippies in Our Emerald Isle

Options
  • 27-01-2019 2:59am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that Ireland is a bit of a magnet for new age hippie/crustie types who turn on, tune in and drop out in this country, being especially attracted to places like West Cork and Leitrim, where they set up communes and do artistic and crafts-based pursuits.

The locals seem to tolerate them as they largely keep to themselves.

Do you agree with my observation? Do you actually like the fact that we seem to attract English crusties? Or would you prefer if these patchouli oil wearing types just had a bath, cut their dreads off and became members of functioning society?

At least they don't attract widespread ire on here unlike single mothers on welfare or our own well known ethnic minority...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems to me that Ireland is a bit of a magnet for new age hippie/crustie types who turn on, tune in and drop out in this country, being especially attracted to places kike West Cork and Leirtrim, where they set up communes and do artistic and crafts based pursuits.

Do you agree with my observation? Do you actually like the fact that we seem to attract English crusties? Or would you prefer if these patchouli oil wearing types just had a bath, cut their dreads off and became members of functioning society?

At least they don't attract widespread ire on here unlike single mothets on welfare or our own well known ethnic minority...

Your energy is way harsh dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Them auld Steiner schools seem to be doing alright for themselves.

Definitely more Crusties around alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

No suck thing as hippies anymore just crazy left wing liberals now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

A lot of riding going on in West Cork alright. Campfire Orgies they're called,you can roast your marshmallows in the fire or in an orifice by all accounts. Fair play to the Crusties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A lot of riding going on in West Cork alright. Campfire Orgies they're called,you can roast your marshmallows in the fire or in an orifice by all accounts. Fair play to the Crusties.

That's why it's called COOLE Mountain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The OP sounds prejudice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A lot of trust fund hippies about too, often confused with new age hippies. Down around kinsale is a big spot for them. The holier than thou types that preach about carbon footprints then fly out to Bali, Peru , etc on the regular.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A lot of trust fund hippies about too, often confused with new age hippies. Down around kinsale is a big spot for them. The holier than thou types that preach about carbon footprints then fly out to Bali, Peru , etc on the regular.

I think these types are colloquially known as Trustifarians. Yep, expect to hear all about how meat eating is evil, selfish and destroying Mother Earth and veganism is the only way, man...

...hypocrites of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I think these types are colloquially known as Trustifarians. Yep, expect to hear all about how meat eating is evil, selfish and destroying Mother Earth and veganism is the only way, man...

Trustifarians, that's the one. Zealots who make a lot of exceptions for themselves. The kind who would be off to Peru to drink hallucinogenic cactus juice for their 'spiritual development', to be at one with Gaia. Preachy, dogmatic and fanatical most of them. Not much difference between them and religious fanatics, the same my way is the only way attitude, they are about as open minded as Osama Bin Laden was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

This is a local country for local people, there's nothing for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have no problem with them as long as they bathe more than once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It seems to me that Ireland is a bit of a magnet for new age hippie/crustie types who turn on, tune in and drop out in this country, being especially attracted to places like West Cork and Leitrim, where they set up communes and do artistic and crafts-based pursuits.

At least they don't attract widespread ire on here unlike single mothers on welfare or our own well known ethnic minority...

I smell schadenfreude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

You're about 40 years too late to be noticing the crusties for the first time, Jupiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Trustifarians, that's the one. Zealots who make a lot of exceptions for themselves. The kind who would be off to Peru to drink hallucinogenic cactus juice for their 'spiritual development', to be at one with Gaia. Preachy, dogmatic and fanatical most of them. Not much difference between them and religious fanatics, the same my way is the only way attitude, they are about as open minded as Osama Bin Laden was.

Is it Mary Robinson your talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

They've been here since the 80's,this incident in the UK seen a lot of them flock to here, I remember this happening as a kid and how heavy handed the police were with them, if I remember correctly a few of them took it to courts but the state won.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bunch of them around Galway, harmless really and adds character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Definitly noticed a trend over a couple of decades tbh. Some of retiree age (additional pension benefits), fairly exteme animal rights nutters usually found involved with 'rescues' etc, born again vegans and in your face social justice warriors. I do wonder has the whole Brexit thing precipitated the current wave of arrivals ...

Then there are the digital crusties - those who don't live here but use social media to let people living here exactly what we should think, how we should all spend our time etc!

Well done.

You’ve mentioned veganism in a thread.

Several people have been alarmed.

Wouldn’t win much money on betting that they’ll be along soon to exaggerate stereotypes and accuse all vegans of being extremists.

If I didn’t have them on ignore I could sit back and have a good old laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Weed smokers, lefties, vegans, questionable hygiene, dreadlocks - plenty to dislike about the average crusty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Weed smokers, lefties, vegans, questionable hygiene, dreadlocks - plenty to dislike about the average crusty.

Must disagree! This sounds like the best possible fun. I'd eat the rabbits, though - it's really hard to be a vegan with no imported food.

And you forgot, "Make love, not war" - and the comfy pretty clothes, the flowers and posters, and the music. Ah, freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We had a bunch of them living in trees nearby in Glen of the Downs for a good few years..

A few locals joined them..

I always admired their tenacity and persistence. I wouldn’t spend an hour up a tree never mind a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I meet a lot of them through working at various festivals around the country, I'd be pretty much the antithesis of them but get on fine with them, they seem to just live for festivals, the session and making art installations. An eccentric bunch of characters but sure that's what adds spice to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

We need more of them not less.

At least their mantra is to love and respect their environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

All about the money. Who is funding?

If it is the state - they can **** off.

If they are self-funded (trusties!) then I am obliged to live and let live I suppose.

I sometimes cross over with them on the Venn Diagram of life through musical pursuits. I recall one cafe gig being seated next to a middle-aged couple who paid zero attention to grooming or bathing. They stank like a nasty science experiment. Not nice. They probably thought they were just being 'natural'.

Basically some of them need to become 'mindful' of their scent and think more about their fiscal 'footprint'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well done.
    You’ve mentioned veganism in a thread.
    Several people have been alarmed.
    Wouldn’t win much money on betting that they’ll be along soon to exaggerate stereotypes and accuse all vegans of being extremists.
    If I didn’t have them on ignore I could sit back and have a good old laugh.

"You've mentioned veganism ... several people have been alarmed" lol - Ahh here now - no need to pick just on poor jupiterkid and no need to get 'alarmed' either way! . Lots of posters here have identified this classification as candidates for crustydom . And hilariously enough you've also highlighted the sacred cow of veganism by talking about it! Wouldn’t win much money on betting that some of these types will be along soon to exaggerate and accuse all and sundry of exaggeration etc lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ah jaysus ,
    batin down on the hippies ??

whats next , the disabled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

East Clare is full of them, so is the new line near Kinvara.
    Ennistymon is attractive to them too.

A lot of them are old money, probably at least 400,000 in the bank's for a rainy day.

They're never broke, travel to exotic places quite frequently.

Do you see the way they look like they wear shabby clothes and boots etc

You can guarantee the men are wearing the likes of iron ranger's boots, and the women the equivalent.
    Their wollen jumpers, and colourful garments are designed by top designers. None of your high street Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss rubbish... which people think is classy.
    Quite the opposite really trashy....
    I mean these people wear super toff clothing.

So don't be thinking these Bohemians are poor and needy, they are very wealthy, confident and educated.

I know a few and they're a clever bunch.

Ironically a lot of then are alt right, so stick that one where the sun don't shine "lefties"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Muckka wrote: »
    East Clare is full of them, so is the new line near Kinvara.
    Ennistymon is attractive to them too.

A lot of them are old money, probably at least 400,000 in the bank's for a rainy day.

They're never broke, travel to exotic places quite frequently.

Do you see the way they look like they wear shabby clothes and boots etc

You can guarantee the men are wearing the likes of iron ranger's boots, and the women the equivalent.
    Their wollen jumpers, and colourful garments are designed by top designers. None of your high street Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss rubbish... which people think is classy.
    Quite the opposite really trashy....
    I mean these people wear super toff clothing.

So don't be thinking these Bohemians are poor and needy, they are very wealthy, confident and educated.

I know a few and they're a clever bunch.

Ironically a lot of then are alt right, so stick that one where the sun don't shine "lefties"

I somehow doubt they're alt right.
    A fair number probably make the move to Ireland cos the social in UK is pretty tough to get now and a pittance.

I knew a lady , European hippy, old.friend, was living in a cheap rental down that way. Not sure if they got the rent covered by the govt she was still working part time anyway at markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

maninasia wrote: »
    I somehow doubt they're alt right.
    A fair number probably make the move to Ireland cos the social in UK is pretty tough to get now and a pittance.

I knew a lady , European hippy, old.friend, was living in a cheap rental down that way. Not sure if they got the rent covered by the govt she was still working part time anyway at markets.

Is she into Unicorns ?
    German ???

Advertisement