Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hospital parking fees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know that you're desperate to continue to build our car centric society that has us zooming up the obesity and carbon emission league tables, but what does a car give you that dedicated point to point transport service does not?

What please have these high sounding idealistic irrelevancies to do with getting a child or an old person or anyone to and from a hospital safely and in as much comfort as possible? And without demanding money they do not have/ ? Obesity?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Had to park in Beaumont recently. 4.80 for an hour and a half. 15 minute drive or 45 mins by public transport, no contest really.

Having also had to bring a sick child to temple St recently, public transport just isn't an option for kids in that situation. I had to go from my house to out of hours GP then to temple St. By the time I was on the way to the hospital, the child had started vomiting from the medication she got at the GPs and was seriously ill by the time I got to the hospital. I can't even imagine how that would have gone had we had to rely on (Sunday) public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

lollpop wrote: »
    Had to park in Beaumont recently. 4.80 for an hour and a half. 15 minute drive or 45 mins by public transport, no contest really.

Having also had to bring a sick child to temple St recently, public transport just isn't an option for kids in that situation. I had to go from my house to out of hours GP then to temple St. By the time I was on the way to the hospital, the child had started vomiting from the medication she got at the GPs and was seriously ill by the time I got to the hospital. I can't even imagine how that would have gone had we had to rely on (Sunday) public transport.

45 mins on public transport? The humanity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know that you're desperate to continue to build our car centric society that has us zooming up the obesity and carbon emission league tables, but what does a car give you that dedicated point to point transport service does not?

The car exists.

45 mins on public transport? The humanity!!

I'm going to guess that if a GP sends a child to hospital and they are having a reaction to the medicine they don't usually say " take your time no rush".

If it's super emergency they'll ring for an emergency, if they think you'll be quicker they ask can you drive. If it's not an emergency they'll refer to a consultant.

So what was the point of your comment?

• Advertisement

Last thing I want to end up as I stand 6 inches crammed with my fellow commuters this morning is one of them being sick beside me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Graces7 wrote: »
    His points have often been unclear so it is he missing the point.

Why cannot Ireland have what is done in the UK? Have a pool of drivers, people with time to spare, at no cost to patients, to collect and bring home patients to and from appointments etc in their own cars. ? Sometimes too none emergency ambulances are used as outpatient transport.

Works well

Far better than here and with patients having to miss outpatient appointments because of costs and lack of transport

If you are referring to me I am a she and I can clear up any point you would like me to .I am not missing any points at all .

beauf wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that if a GP sends a child to hospital and they are having a reaction to the medicine they don't usually say " take your time no rush".

If it's super emergency they'll ring for an emergency, if they think you'll be quicker they ask can you drive. If it's not an emergency they'll refer to a consultant.

So what was the point of your comment?

I’m going to guess that reading comprehension isn’t your strong point. The sick child was a separate story. Completely different to the Beaumont, 45 mins on a bus story.

I’m going to guess that reading comprehension isn’t your strong point. The sick child was a separate story. Completely different to the Beaumont, 45 mins on a bus story.

So your ok with advising people to delay when taking sick people to hospital and wanting them in close proximity to as many people as possible. Perhaps getting sick and taking the vehicle or train out of service.

Reminds me of the people who crawl into work preserving their no sick days record and take half the office out in achieving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It should be tax deductible or a limit to the amount paid for parents such as after a week. It is hard to bring sick kids on public transport.

However the days of free unlimited parking are gone. There are too many cars in use to sustain this and it's not up to the hospital to pay for parking. If you want the convenience of the car then you have to pay for it not the hospital.

Also not everyone who uses the hospital is a kid with cancer. So I think there's a bit of pulling on the heartstrings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you are referring to me I am a she and I can clear up any point you would like me to .I am not missing any points at all .

It's others who are missing the point.

I drive cancer patients to hospital appointments a few times a year, on behalf of a local charity, but we still have to pay to park our cars while we wait to bring the patient home.

The greatest users of hospital carparks are visitors and they are being charged exorbitant rates to visit friends and family in hospital.

I use the bicycle and train to get to work. But if need to take the car to save time I will.

What's causes congestion is not bringing sick people to hospital. Its building a hospital especially a national one, slap bang in the middle of some of the most congested parts of the city. Then requiring people to get to it in the same direction of all the other commuter traffic.

Also scheduling all outpatients appointments at the same time as rush hour.

....The greatest users of hospital carparks are visitors and they are being charged exorbitant rates to visit friends and family in hospital....

Visitors are generally off peak in the evening. Someone who is there in the middle of the day or morning taking time off work to do so, is hardly there for a social visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Visitors are generally off peak in the evening. Someone who is there in the middle of the day or morning taking time off work to do so, is hardly there for a social visit.

id imagine very few visitors would be working shifts?

What are you talking about? The charges at our nearest hospital apply all day and night at the same rate. There is no off peak for parking charges nor anywhere else to park. And, have you never visited a hospital patient during the day anyway? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

So your ok with advising people to delay when taking sick people to hospital and wanting them in close proximity to as many people as possible. Perhaps getting sick and taking the vehicle or train out of service.

Reminds me of the people who crawl into work preserving their no sick days record and take half the office out in achieving it.

Could you point out where the person I replied to said that they were taking a sick person to hospital??

It's others who are missing the point.

I drive cancer patients to hospital appointments a few times a year, on behalf of a local charity, but we still have to pay to park our cars while we wait to bring the patient home.

The greatest users of hospital carparks are visitors and they are being charged exorbitant rates to visit friends and family in hospital.

Absolutely Hayes Modern Sterilization . Outpatients take up a lot of spaces during the day too . In fairness many of those I would guess could use public transport .
    The subsidies( or indeed free parking when needed) should be for those in need , those who are visiting patients in a long term admission , those with sick partners and sick children .Not for any willy nilly person who happens to carry a medical card as someone above suggested .By all means if the medical card holder falls into the above category yes of course

What are you talking about? The charges at our nearest hospital apply all day and night at the same rate. There is no off peak for parking charges nor anywhere else to park. And, have you never visited a hospital patient during the day anyway? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Its about people using public transport instead of driving and there was an inference that most people are making non essential visits.

Parking fees is a different matter. Though looking for change at 2am is a bit different than at 6pm .

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id imagine very few visitors would be working shifts?

.. Generally... I said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I don't drive so please leave the anti car hetoric alone eh ? No one cares.

But you know I have 5 minutes before a meeting so I'll bite - the bold question ?

Been asked and answered but read moomintroll's post earlier.

Plus others (mine included) about immunity destruction etc.

Unless you seriously think you can get on a bike with an IV I humbly suggest this is not the post for your usual "campaigning".

• Advertisement

Could you point out where the person I replied to said that they were taking a sick person to hospital??

So you have a problem with visitors and family going to the hospital unless they are sick themselves??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

Cancer is a fantastic cure for obesity in children, trust me.

I think you are conflating the long term health issue of 'how all the people get to work & school every day' with the short term health issue of 'how the unfortunate few very sick people get to life saving care'. I totally agree that there should be a less car centric society, with accessible bike paths, pedestrian friendly walkways, and penalties for taking unnecessary car journeys. That would be better for everyone's health. But some of us are still going to be those unfortunate few hearing bad news about random illnesses.

As stated before, a car gives sick children and adults the ability to:

- avoid life threatening infections from other users while getting to and from treatment
    - access care at inconvenient times
    - preserve dignity for the sick - avoid some of the 'Mammy, why does that boy have no hair?' type comments people make.
    - let people from rural and remote areas access highly centralised services
    - carry all the stuff - illness means a lot of bags of clothes/medications/equipment etc
    - protect other public transport users from things like getting vomited on etc. Some of the sights associated with my son's treatment have been very, very confronting even for me as his parent. I just do not think commuters on a Luas really need to see some skeletal child having a fit or being completely incontinent or screaming in pain etc before getting in to their work.

For example, imagine your (definitely not obese) child with cancer wakes up having a seizure at home at 3am, then screaming that their head hurts. You freak out and call the hospital, they say to come in ASAP to rule out meningitis caused as a result of low immune system from chemo.

Are you going to wait for the bus? Really?

I think you are conflating the long term health issue of 'how all the people get to work & school every day' with the short term health issue of 'how the unfortunate few very sick people get to life saving care'. I totally agree that there should be a less car centric society, with accessible bike paths, pedestrian friendly walkways, and penalties for taking unnecessary car journeys. That would be better for everyone's health. But some of us are still going to be those unfortunate few hearing bad news about random illnesses.

- avoid life threatening infections from other users while getting to and from treatment
    - preserve dignity for the sick - avoid some of the 'Mammy, why does that boy have no hair?' type comments people make.
    - carry all the stuff - illness means a lot of bags of clothes/medications/equipment etc
    - protect other public transport users from things like getting vomited on etc. Some of the sights associated with my son's treatment have been very, very confronting even for me as his parent. I just do not think commuters on a Luas really need to see some skeletal child having a fit or being completely incontinent or screaming in pain etc before getting in to their work.

For example, imagine your (definitely not obese) child with cancer wakes up having a seizure at home at 3am, then screaming that their head hurts. You freak out and call the hospital, they say to come in ASAP to rule out meningitis caused as a result of low immune system from chemo.

Shame this can only be thanked once - the vehemently anti car militia need to be shamed into seeing reason it seems.

Yes , absolutely agree with you . And I posted before children with multiple special needs and catheters and long lines, Hickman lines , feeding tubes , tracheostomies etc should not be expected to travel via public transport .Personally I think on a case to case basis these parents should be given free parking to at least ease the burden in some small way

PS ( I hope you saw my post past night explaining that you had misunderstood my point )

Sick people being lazy apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There has to be a fair system for all. Absolutely do not agree with medical card holders receiving free parking. Like I mentioned earlier on the thread, on his first day in oncology my dad and I were given a parking pass. €5 euro for a pre loaded 5 journeys except the journey was never debited so essentially all we paid for almost a year of parking was 5 euro.

Every oncology patient received one. There wouldn’t be any chance I’d put my already immune compromised parent on public transport after three days of having poison pumped into him. Absolutely not.

I think people going to outpatients can suck it up and pay for their days parking, or park in a public cheaper carpark and walk a short distance to the hospital. I know in my town there’s a few spots of all day parking for approx 2 euro that’s not even a ten min walk from the hospital.

There should most certainly be a more realistic solution for parents of extremely sick children and people undergoing long term treatment. A once off trip to a+e, an outpatients app, etc. suck it up.

There has to be a fair system for all. Absolutely do not agree with medical card holders receiving free parking. Like I mentioned earlier on the thread, on his first day in oncology my dad and I were given a parking pass. €5 euro for a pre loaded 5 journeys except the journey was never debited so essentially all we paid for almost a year of parking was 5 euro.

Every oncology patient received one. There wouldn’t be any chance I’d put my already immune compromised parent on public transport after three days of having poison pumped into him. Absolutely not.

I think people going to outpatients can suck it up and pay for their days parking, or park in a public cheaper carpark and walk a short distance to the hospital. I know in my town there’s a few spots of all day parking for approx 2 euro that’s not even a ten min walk from the hospital.

There should most certainly be a more realistic solution for parents of extremely sick children and people undergoing long term treatment. A once off trip to a+e, an outpatients app, etc. suck it up.

Fair point - I've visited both Tullamore and Portlaoise hospitals in the last year or so and both are transport accessible, the Dublin based ones more so.

In my opinion it's very much the patient condition that should be the decider - as we all know, medical card holders don't always come from the poorest elements of society.

So you have a problem with visitors and family going to the hospital unless they are sick themselves??

Want a hand with those goalposts??

45 minutes on public transport to visit someone is hardly the end of the world now is it??

45 minutes on public transport to visit someone is hardly the end of the world now is it??

It would be nice if 45 minutes on public transport, each way, took us to any of the major hospitals. Some of us are a twenty minute drive to the nearest public transport, before we then head for the hospital.

• Advertisement

I think if hotels can validate parking I don't see why they can't have the same in hospitals.

You could make it automated. A patient no generates a parking pass, doesn't have to be free, but it reduced fee anyway. Gets sent to your phone, you register a car against it.

That how it works at train stations.

Each way minimum.

I must have visited various hospitals about 50 times this year with family.

Guess some people have a lot of time on their hands that 2hrs wasted is nothing to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why not re read Moonmintroll99's posts again.
    Then slap yourself on the head for pontificating when you have no idea of the reasons why someone has no choice but to drive to a hospital.

Jaeeze if there was an ar**hole of the day post you would win it by miles.

Oh and if you are unlucky enough to be struck down with cancer, or have a loved one struck down with it, I wonder how long will you stick by your principles. :rolleyes:
    lollpop wrote: »

The holier than thou anti car fooking brigade probably haven't encountered that aspect of life yet.
    But rest assured when they will, those principles will probably suddenly disappear.

I am not allowed discuss …

I find it a little grim that children with cancer and other horrific illnesses are being used as a blanket excuse for free parking/no public transport. If free parking was introduced I’m willing to bet it would be much harder for people who need a car at the hospital to find suitable parking. Absolutely agree with provisions for long term sick people to help with parking, but it’s definately not an argument for every single car that drives into a hospital carpark

I find it a little grim that children with cancer and other horrific illnesses are being used as a blanket excuse for free parking/no public transport. If free parking was introduced I’m willing to bet it would be much harder for people who need a car at the hospital to find suitable parking. Absolutely agree with provisions for long term sick people to help with parking, but it’s definately not an argument for every single car that drives into a hospital carpark

Agreed. I'd just settle for a reasonable fee, instead of the exorbitant rates some hospital car parks are charging.

In fairness I dont think they were being used as a blanket excuse for every tom dick and harry to have free parking .But the point is that some patients and thier visitors / carers should have a capped or free pass /

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In fairness I dont think they were being used as a blanket excuse for every tom dick and harry to have free parking .But the point is that some patients and thier visitors / carers should have a capped or free pass /
    Couldn’t agree more, and I’d question if someone suggesting differently had a beating heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

Just to lay out the numbers so people can understand:

I was doing my tax today actually & going through medical expenses. We spent a total of €480 on parking at Crumlin last year (not actually claimable on tax but I had all the receipts together). That's in addition to all the various accommodation costs (one parent, usually mother, can stay on the ward with the child but dad has to buy grim hospital accomm for €20 a night), the cost of feeding yourselves while you're there, the costs around babysitting or transport to relatives for care for other children, the lost income from lost work, stuff like nappies for a newly incontinent child, blah blah blah blah.

Some of that is claimable against tax, but that's not much help when your income drops due to working less while caring for your child. Our combined income dropped from around 50k to less than half of that for the year - we're both self employed & had to turn down a lot of work. All in all, we probably ended the year maybe €30k down. We got a kind grant of €1000 from the Cancer Society to help with costs, but I hear those have been stopped now. There is Ronald McDonald House which provides family accommodation, but we could never get in, it was always heavily oversubscribed.

We do have that priceless thing, a kid who survived, which is obviously better than all the money on earth. For outpatients appointments, with our child now happily in remission who just comes up for scans and things, we're perfectly happy to get the train to Dublin & a taxi to Crumlin. It's still a cost burden, maybe €80 or €100, and a day off work/school, but nothing like what we were paying for those week long stints.

I would in no way say we were the worst off on the ward either, some of the stories would break your heart. Financial pressure is a huge part of having a sick child. Some of the phone conversations I would hear in the corridor, people with terminally or seriously ill kids, pleading with employers/banks/social welfare etc, would break your heart. Probably something repeated in the adult hospitals too with one partner trying to care for another etc.

It would just be nice if these specific people, at the worst time in their lives, were not seen as parking cash cows.

Glad to hear the child is in remission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you had spent one tenth of the time reading my post that you actually spent thinking up problems, you might have noticed that I didn't actually refer to public transport.

But it is interesting to note the fanatical grip used to cling on to arrangements for storage of private property in public spaces. It's not just "won't someone please think of the children". It is now "won't someone please think of the sick, cancerous children".

A bit extreme, no?

If you had spent one tenth of the time reading my post that you actually spent thinking up problems, you might have noticed that I didn't actually refer to public transport.

But it is interesting to note the fanatical grip used to cling on to arrangements for storage of private property in public spaces. It's not just "won't someone please think of the children". It is now "won't someone please think of the sick, cancerous children".

A bit extreme, no?

You sound like an real charmer . Honestly do you even hear what you write ? I bet you would change your boorish " I know better " attitude if you walked in the shoes of one parent with a child on the oncology ward .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shame this can only be thanked once - the vehemently anti car militia need to be shamed into seeing reason it seems.
    Bwaahaahaa.

Apology accepted in anticipation.

Graces7 wrote: »

and medical card holders should park free. low income means medical card.
    some of the costs listed here would preclude many from attending for their needs.

No way should medical card holders get free parking and not those who don’t, not only are non-medical card holders funding the medical card holders with their taxes but now you want them to pay for their parking while medical card holders don’t. It should be the other way around if anything, the people funding the healthcare system with their taxes should be the ones getting it free.

I don’t actually think anyone should have to pay, parking should be free for all people at the hospital. Built multistory car parks and new hospitals should not be built anywhere near city centers but on green field sites with loads of space for parking and much easier access away from city traffic etc.

Also telling people to get public transport is idiotic, firstly public transport is unsuitable for most people who are attending or visiting a hospital for a lot of reasons, it’s also unsuitable for many people working in hospitals (for example walking home at night etc for nurses and doctors, proximity to work, odd hours etc etc) but the fact is the Dublin centric heads on some people here forget that most people don’t have the option. For example a&e in Galway city serves basically the entire county, parts of Roscommon, parts of mayo even parts of Clare. How on earth are you expecting people to get to a hospital without untold hardship never mind in an emergency. It would be completely impossible for most people living in these areas to get to the hospital without driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

new hospitals should not be built anywhere near city centers but on green field sites with loads of space for parking and much easier access away from city traffic etc.

Also telling people to get public transport is idiotic
    It certainly would be if you built the hospital outside the city making public transport even less of an option.

A bit extreme, no?

Jesus Christ - seriously ???? You're haranguing the parent of a child with CANCER to make your billionth anti car post ????

I doubt it will do any good, certainly not to your attitude but my conscience tells me your post needs to be reported for that.

A bit extreme, no?

Not at all, since you ask not at all

No way should medical card holders get free parking and not those who don’t, not only are non-medical card holders funding the medical card holders with their taxes but now you want them to pay for their parking while medical card holders don’t. It should be the other way around if anything, the people funding the healthcare system with their taxes should be the ones getting it free.

By what criteria?

Also telling people to get public transport is idiotic, firstly public transport is unsuitable for most people who are attending or visiting a hospital for a lot of reasons, it’s also unsuitable for many people working in hospitals (for example walking home at night etc for nurses and doctors, proximity to work, odd hours etc etc) but the fact is the Dublin centric heads on some people here forget that most people don’t have the option. For example a&e in Galway city serves basically the entire county, parts of Roscommon, parts of mayo even parts of Clare. How on earth are you expecting people to get to a hospital without untold hardship never mind in an emergency. It would be completely impossible for most people living in these areas to get to the hospital without driving.

It is. And given the cost of petrol and parking... gets totally impossible. So we miss treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

A bit extreme, no?

You state that there is a "fanatical" grip used to cling on to arrangements for storage of private property in public spaces. What about the "fanatical" grip that private parking companies have with the location of their privately owned car parks on publicly owned land.

For the record, I appreciate some payment has to be made at hospitals car parks, however it has to be reasonable and any profits should go directly to the purchase of equipment such as scanning machines or additional staff to operate them, I believe most reasonable people would support this, with a caveat that any such arrangement was transparent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/car-parking-charges-are-hospitals-making-a-killing-1.3080049

Not every patient can avail of public transport even in the cities, often regular attendees at hospitals with chronic conditions have supressed immune systems and most are generally weak. You could be waiting in a public outpatient's clinic for 5 or 6 hours, invariably have a new prescription that has to be filled that evening and the last thing you want to do is get on a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A bit extreme, no?

One could give you the benefit of the doubt that you hadn't read the last post from Moomintroll99 before you posted your contribution, and thus aren't a complete <snip>.

But Moomintroll99's post detailing the financial and emotional troubles encountered by a parent of a child with cancer was posted at 12.26 and your contemptuous retort was posted at 12.48, a full 22 minutes.

Here is the post for you.
    And you better fooking hope you never half to walk a mile, nevermind drive a mile, in the shoes of the parents of children with cancer.

Just to lay out the numbers so people can understand:

I was doing my tax today actually & going through medical expenses. We spent a total of €480 on parking at Crumlin last year (not actually claimable on tax but I had all the receipts together). That's in addition to all the various accommodation costs (one parent, usually mother, can stay on the ward with the child but dad has to buy grim hospital accomm for €20 a night), the cost of feeding yourselves while you're there, the costs around babysitting or transport to relatives for care for other children, the lost income from lost work, stuff like nappies for a newly incontinent child, blah blah blah blah.

Some of that is claimable against tax, but that's not much help when your income drops due to working less while caring for your child. Our combined income dropped from around 50k to less than half of that for the year - we're both self employed & had to turn down a lot of work. All in all, we probably ended the year maybe €30k down. We got a kind grant of €1000 from the Cancer Society to help with costs, but I hear those have been stopped now. There is Ronald McDonald House which provides family accommodation, but we could never get in, it was always heavily oversubscribed.

We do have that priceless thing, a kid who survived, which is obviously better than all the money on earth. For outpatients appointments, with our child now happily in remission who just comes up for scans and things, we're perfectly happy to get the train to Dublin & a taxi to Crumlin. It's still a cost burden, maybe €80 or €100, and a day off work/school, but nothing like what we were paying for those week long stints.

I would in no way say we were the worst off on the ward either, some of the stories would break your heart. Financial pressure is a huge part of having a sick child. Some of the phone conversations I would hear in the corridor, people with terminally or seriously ill kids, pleading with employers/banks/social welfare etc, would break your heart. Probably something repeated in the adult hospitals too with one partner trying to care for another etc.

It would just be nice if these specific people, at the worst time in their lives, were not seen as parking cash cows.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Agreed. I'd just settle for a reasonable fee, instead of the exorbitant rates some hospital car parks are charging.

Yes, this seems to be the fairest approach. If parking was free at hospitals, you’d have non-hospital users parking there too. A small fee is fair and will put freeloaders off.

Patients who need to visit the hospital very frequently should get free parking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement