Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Groceries - how much weekly?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'd like to see your receipts so I can analyse them :cool:
    You buy Lidl loo roll when it's on 50% off weekend offer, alternatively basic is 12 rolls for €2.69, washing powder is own brand as is toothpaste.

Nope, ya can't have them, they're my secret :D
    (PS hint i buy non flouride toothpaste :P)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I buy a massive pack of loo paper (16-24 depending on whats available) for about €5-8 in the local Eurosaver shop, does for a month or so.

Washing powder and toiletries usually in the Eurosaver as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

2 in our house and we spend €60-€80 per week in tesco, depending on what toiletries/cleaning stuff is used. We get 5 dinners for both of us out of that and 1 dinner for my partner (i eat at my parents once a week).On a saturday we tend to have a treat meal we buy separate from the shopping - often the M&S dine in for 2 deal, or a good quality steak/duck breast and veg and occasionally a takeaway/eating out. We also get lunches for both of us for the weeks my partner works from home - when he works out of the home either the place he is working buys his lunch or he grabs a sandwich or something out. I make my own lunches for work every week apart from the odd week im really lazy/unorganised. Breakfasts for the full week from the shop.

I do a meal plan before shopping and stick to the shopping list - but I like quality meat/veg and variety so we could spend less but we probably wouldn't be enjoying our meals as much. With the list I rarely have to top up the shopping with bits, it would be only something I couldn't get for a particular recipe or maybe something for breakfast on a saturday. I do buy fruit for work separate to the weekly shop.

Just checked my budget last year and I spent on average €62 per week on groceries for just my share - but that included alcohol and our saturday 'treat' meal. We used to shop in the fruit & veg shop, butcher, lidl & tesco but found we were spending more by going to all the shops and it wasn't worth it. Much easier to go to tesco where we know we can get pretty much everything and it works out cheaper - we were never able to get everything in lidl and the fruit & veg always had a shorter shelf life from there so we threw more out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This one says she spent €323 a month for two adults and two kids - excluding meat & fish.
    But if you look, a lot of the stuff is branded. She could easily halve that bill, if not more.
    I'm sure Tesco love her spending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Parchment wrote: »
    Organic stuff is more expensive but unprocessed stuff is generally cheaper as people want to pay someone to process it for them!

I see your point regarding unprocessed food but if I'm making a curry dish from scratch its going to cost me more than it would be to buy a jar of curry sauce for €1. Making a burger involves buying good quality mince meat as well as all the other ingredients whereas you can buy made up processed burgers for a euro or two. Same goes for making home made pizza and the like.
    I save money in other ways though so I don't mind at all spending extra money on food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I see your point regarding unprocessed food but if I'm making a curry dish from scratch its going to cost me more than it would be to buy a jar of curry sauce for €1. Making a burger involves buying good quality mince meat as well as all the other ingredients whereas you can buy made up processed burgers for a euro or two. Same goes for making home made pizza and the like.
    I save money in other ways though so I don't mind at all spending extra money on food.

If you're making food from scratch regularly the cost can be offset somewhat. To use your example of a curry, I'm always using spices, onions, garlic, stocks etc regularly so I buy them as a matter of course. The only item specifically for a curry I might need is a tin of tomatos or a tub of yoghurt, depending on what style I'm going for. There's chicken or whatever filling you might add yourself as well, but you'd need that for a jar of curry anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I cook all my curries from scratch, it would be half what I'd spend on a jar of sauce :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Because its much less effort (no planning what to buy, having to buy the stuff, preparing the stuff, if you want choice its not cheap etc) and I much prefer to stroll into town and buy a nice fresh sandwich from a choice of multiple different places depending on what I feel like. I've no interest in bringing my own lunch even if it was free (which it isn't). Also I don't like eating dinner food at lunch so I'll just end up making a sandwich everyday or maybe a salad both of which are much nicer bought fresh at lunch and with far more choice.

Ain't no deli got meat as good as the chicken leg meat or meatballs I roast up for my fella's lunches. A shop bought meatball sub is such a poor imitation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

GLaDOS wrote: »
    If you're making food from scratch regularly the cost can be offset somewhat. To use your example of a curry, I'm always using spices, onions, garlic, stocks etc regularly so I buy them as a matter of course. The only item specifically for a curry I might need is a tin of tomatos or a tub of yoghurt, depending on what style I'm going for. There's chicken or whatever filling you might add yourself as well, but you'd need that for a jar of curry anyway.

When buying things like organic fresh chillies and lemongrass and kaffir leaves etc the costs do add up. As I said, I've no problem paying what I do. I was just explaining how I end up paying what I do every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@eviltwin / GLaDOS - I wouldn't mind a new curry recipe if you'd like to post up your recipe or PM me. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

45 a week in Aldi for two of us. I make most meals from scratch (curries, pad Thai, paella, spaghetti bolognese, seafood chowder, stir fry etc) and make enough to freeze so we get two lunches out of each meal too. Buy most of fruit/herbs in great value ethnic shop beside Aldi on Parnell Street.

Probably another tenner on toiletries, dishwash & washing machine tablets etc in dealz or eurogiant every fortnight too.

Would never do a shop in Dunnes/Tesco as prices are crap in comparison to Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I spend 250 euro a week on food and drink for 1 person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I live at home and spend £30 a week on food, as a contribution. It was £45 a week at university when I lived alone.

Advertisement