Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groceries - how much weekly?

• 05-01-2017 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I cant decide if my other half and i spend a lot on our groceries weekly.

Last week it was €117 - that was a large-ish shop after Xmas as we had been at my parents for a good few days and our house was bare. Normally it would be €80-85 on average. We both make and bring our own lunches every day and eat at home pretty much every night - going out for something maybe 1-2 times a month. I bring my own breakfast to work and my other half has his at home.

We shop in Dunnes (previously Lidl and it was maybe 75-80e average weekly).

What do you guys think?

(to add: we can afford it - its our only expense after our rent/electricity/internet)
    {I will probably be depressed when i get some replies like "i feed a family of 7 and 3 dogs for €30"}

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

2 adults and 2 kids here.

Not sure, as there is some stuff (like salt, sugar, oil and so on) that doesn't need to be bought every week, but I'd guess it's under €100 a week. Maybe even under 80.

We don't do a big weekly shop - more like 3 times a week (usually between €15 and €25) as it's not far away, and then we pick up bits at the Tesco Express round the corner too, so it's hard to add it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

2 adults and 2 children and we usually spend €60-€100 a week. Mainly Aldi/Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

osarusan wrote: »
    2 adults and 2 kids here.

Not sure, as there is some stuff like (salt, sugar, veg oil and so on) that doesn't need to be bought every week, but I'd guess it's under €100 a week.

Ugh. Now i feel bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭gifted

2 adults 3 young girls... €180 a week average...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

3 adults, 1 child, two dogs and a cat. I spend about 80 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

gifted wrote: »
    2 adults 3 young girls... €180 a week average...

Exact same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

€117 is just over €8 per person per day; doesn't sound like a lot to me. Why do you use Dunnes, out of curiosity? Is it because of the "spend €50 and get €10" offer? As a single person who doesn't cook much, I've never been in the habit of buying more than 1 or 2 days of food at a time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

€40-50 a week for 2 of us, mostly Aldi, meat from the butchers.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That's just over €8 per person per day; doesn't sound like a lot to me. Why do you use Dunnes, out of curiosity? Is it because of the "spend €50 and get €10" offer? As a single person who doesn't cook much, I've never been in the habit of buying more than 1 or 2 days of food at a time.

Actually we went to Dunnes a few times as my OH used to shop there before he met me. The they started the €10 voucher thing and my mom supplied us with a few and we got hooked. We dont have time to do more than one shop each week/1.5 weeks.

But we were both sick of Lidl at that point anyway - sick of the scrum that can be shopping there, the lack of variety for me (vegetarian) and we just felt it wasnt the best quality overall.

I have some queries about Dunnes as an employer but they are an Irish company, the shopping "experience" is far nicer, there is more choice and my OH says the meat is far superior. Im happy shopping there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Make a list and check it twice.

I used to just buy what I liked when I saw it, but realised most of it ended up binned.

I am a bit more organised now.

I check the presses and the fridge one week and buy what I need for that, then the next week it's the staples and what needs to go in the bathroom or for cleaning.

Kind of works, but not always! Still, sticking to the list is working for me. (I have dips when I see something yum, but it is working so much better than before.

Impulse buying is a killer for the till bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Parchment wrote: »
    Ugh. Now i feel bad!

You said you can afford it, so why even worry about what others spend.

osarusan wrote: »
    You said you can afford it, so why even worry about what others spend.

I just think its excessive in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sounds ok to me OP.

I spend about €45 for one person (Lidl).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

2 adults and 2 kids, spend about €70 a week in Dunnes plus meat from the butchers.

Haven't done a proper shop since the baby was born but can probably add another 20-25 a week onto that for her bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Around 50 for myself. Includes lunches for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've had to think about this, as we (2 adults) get fruit and veg from a greengrocers and meat & fish from the butcher, in addition to the supermarket shop (Dunnes).

It probably totals about 110 per week including detergents, cleaning products etc. I've no idea what food alone would come to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd say about 30 to 40, two adults. Some weeks it's wall to wall take aways and picking up bits in tesco express, but two shops of 15 to 20 in Aldi feeds us like kings.

Don't give Dunnes a red cent if I can help it.

I just think its excessive in comparison.

Everyone has different incomes, outgoings and expectatations.

Sorry to sound smug but I have no need to worry about grocery bills. But I did realise that things were ending up in the bin more often than in my gob!

So I got my act together (slowly).

Now will only buy what I need and is on the list. With some breakouts, but nothing like before.

More money for holliers is my view. But I am probably not in the same cohort as many others here. No kids for starters.

That doesn't stop the overspends believe me either. Takes a kick up the rear end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

2 adults and we usually spend between €60-€70 weekly in Dunnes and €10 in butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

2 Adults & 1 child, €40 per week @ Lidl. Fixed list with no impulse buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Groceries

messages, ffs.

Everyone has different incomes, outgoings and expectatations.

Sorry to sound smug but I have no need to worry about grocery bills. But I did realise that things were ending up in the bin more often than in my gob!

So I got my act together (slowly).

Now will only buy what I need and is on the list. With some breakouts, but nothing like before.

More money for holliers is my view. But I am probably not in the same cohort as many others here. No kids for starters.

That doesn't stop the overspends believe me either. Takes a kick up the rear end too.

I make a mental list and generally we only get stuff we need with maybe some crisps/chocolate and beer for himself. Thats it really. i feel we are pretty smart with our money overall so maybe this is why it feels excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

100 euro on myself. I eat like a motherfcuker but I'm still slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Most of you must eat like budgies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

2 adults 3 kids ( soon to be 4) approx 120 per week for shopping plus 150 once a month for the butchers €9 per week for the milkman!!

2 Adults & 1 child, €40 per week @ Lidl. Fixed list with no impulse buying.

Wow. thats really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I would say average €80 a week for 2 adults and 1 child. Some weeks we might spend €25, others €100 depending on need to get detergents/cleaning products/store cupboard tins etc/nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Wow. thats really impressive.

We used to spend so much more but half of it ended up in the bin, now we eat great and have more disposable income for holidays etc!! It's a win - win.

I make a mental list and generally we only get stuff we need with maybe some crisps/chocolate and beer for himself. Thats it really. i feel we are pretty smart with our money overall so maybe this is why it feels excessive.

Write the list and stick to it. Even for one shop, no impulse buying and see how ya get on. It's not easy because supermarkets are geared up to MAKE us impulse buy!

When I realised that some stuff I bought ended in the bin regularly, (out of date because I didn't get around to snaffling it on time), I got a big wake up call.

I have a list now and try my best to stick to it.

I buy what I actually like now and know it will be scoffed within date, because I buy for a week or so generally.

Now I'm not perfect, never will be I suppose, but am so much better at not wasting food and paying for stuff I will not get around to eating either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

€50-€60 per week for just me. I just buy what I feel like and am not careful about it at all. That's my full week's food bar around 15 lunches and 6 takeaways per year. I don't have any expensive habits or hobbies so I'm not going to worry about it.

Write the list and stick to it. Even for one shop, no impulse buying and see how ya get on. It's not easy because supermarkets are geared up to MAKE us impulse buy!

When I realised that some stuff I bought ended in the bin regularly, (out of date because I didn't get around to snaffling it on time), I got a big wake up call.

I have a list now and try my best to stick to it.

I buy what I actually like now and know it will be scoffed within date, because I buy for a week or so generally.

Now I'm not perfect, never will be I suppose, but am so much better at not wasting food and paying for stuff I will not get around to eating either!

Now that i think about it i dont think we throw any food out - everything gets eaten.

Maybe we just are both big eaters now that i think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've had to think about this, as we (2 adults) get fruit and veg from a greengrocers and meat & fish from the butcher, in addition to the supermarket shop (Dunnes).

It probably totals about 110 per week including detergents, cleaning products etc. I've no idea what food alone would come to.

That's mental spending for two if you don't mind me saying. We are about 60 a week between two. Mix between Lidl, butchers and fruit/veg shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

About 60 Euro a week plus 20 Euro at the butchers every 2 or 3 weeks for two adults.

I often wonder if we actually know exactly what we spend for the shopping?

I know I was like that. Could go on a Tuesday, and then on a Friday or a Monday again, just because I wanted that special bread or something, and came out a good few quid lighter!

I suppose if we were all anal, and just did the shop on a certain day every week and no more, we could see how the spend goes. But then there is the impulse buy at the garage shop for the paper and then it ends up costing a tenner (apart from the petrol!)

You know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That's mental spending for two if you don't mind me saying. We are about 60 a week between two. Mix between Lidl, butchers and fruit/veg shop.

Not at all. We eat well and thankfully can afford it. We had too many years when raising a family and had to scrimp and save, so now we buy what we want. We don't waste any food. Non food items make up a fair amount of the bill too.
    I didn't add the fag costs to that either. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I spend more on beer weekly than groceries..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

2 adults, 3 children, between 120-150 a week.
    Normally ship in Aldi but I've found I can save loads by shopping online with tesco as there is no impluse buying and it points you towards deals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Less than €20 per week in Lidl for just one.
    Down from about €35 per week when I used to buy junk food and alcohol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I often wonder if we actually know exactly what we spend for the shopping?

I know to the last cent. I'm pretty anal about keeping track of my spending.

Not at all. We eat well and thankfully can afford it. We had too many years when raising a family and had to scrimp and save, so now we buy what we want. We don't waste any food. Non food items make up a fair amount of the bill too.
    I didn't add the fag costs to that either. ;)

You are dead right, you can afford it so why not?

Payback time! Give the scraps to the kids. LOL

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Less than €20 per week in Lidl for just one.
    Down from about €35 per week when I used to buy junk food and alcohol.

I used to do a week shop in Asda when i lived in Scotland for £15!! Those Scots are tight though so bargains were abundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2+2 family here.
    Typically €80 in Aldi, €20 on butcher, €50 fruit and veg.

€150 total.

One of the kids is a serious athlete and eats like two hungry farmhands

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

1 adult, 2 kids (including a super fussy eater) about €100 per week between butchers, aldi and a takeaway on Saturday night. Some weeks I might get away with €80 but can't go higher than €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Myself and my boyfriend actually shop separately even though we live together. He has a totally different diet to me. He eats meat, I don't. He eats lots of processed food, I don't. I also eat a lot of my meals at work.

We buy things we both eat/use (like eggs, rice, washing up liquid etc) in turns..works out fine! I only spend about €20 a week on shopping. But then I spend about €30 a week on food at work. Luckily the canteen at work is subsided and has high quality meals for very cheap prices. You can get a meal with fish and veg/salad for about €4.50 or a veggie option for €4. So I tend to eat as much as I can there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

About €60 per week in Lidl for 2 people. If I did the shopping on my own though I could probably shave about a tenner off that most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It varies between €20-€30, but there's just me buying for myself. I do tend to buy a fair few (subsidized) lunches in work because lazy, otherwise I know I could spend more. Obviously bigger purchases like laundry detergent might drive that up a few euro, and if I decide to take a notion and batch-cook stuff to freeze it might go up too. I look out for special offers on storecupboard staples too.

I shop in Dunnes because I drive right past it on my way home. Dealz for toiletries. Takeaway once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

2 adults
    1teenager
    4 children
    Holy mother of God its unreal what thy go through in a week. Normally shop in lidl and the butchers. It could be between 200-250 a week no matter what.
    The joys of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Aldi about €43 a week for two. Nothing special included. We get about half our veg for free off my OH's dad. Rarely buy meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Two adults, two kids. About seventy in Aldi, 50 or less in Tesco and about 30- 40 in butcher's or fish mongers. Sometimes that would involve wine. I could probably get away with less but I like cooking different things and normally I wouldn't go for the cheapest ham, wine, cheese or similar. We also like to have people over for dinner. We spend almost nothing on take aways, we get them couple of times per year so it could be worse.

Edit: that includes toiletries and cleaning products.

I suppose to be fair, people like myself do not have the "hollowed legs" teenagers, and if they are athletes or footballers or Gaelic players well the fridge has to be the size of a house.

Every set up is different.

But jayzis I don't know how some of you feed the teens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement