Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you find difficult that should be really easy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Sleep.
    Been trying to get an early night for the last decade, but here I am. Just can't do it. Always something no matter what keeping my brain active
    Seem to get by on too little sleep.
    Go to sleep me! You've got to get up in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Chop an onion. I always cut it wonky and have bits falling off before they've been chopped properly so I have to line them up and do them again.

Carry a conversation. I answer questions (eg "How are you") and then forget to reply with one of my own, so it just ends on an awkward silence and I sound like an uncaring wànker.

This philosophy essay. It's due Friday and I've barely started.

I have however mastered the art of rice. 125g rice, measure it out properly (that's two servings). Put it in a sieve and rinse well under the cold tap. Put in pan with 300ml water. Stir, boil then turn down the heat (3). Put the lid on the pan and do not lift it for 15 minutes. Should have some lovely rice after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Trying to find a actual human being to check out your groceries at these new 1984 Tesco stores instead of having to do the f**king job yourself which you ain't getting paid for either

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I eat vegetarian only because I don't know how to cook meat ...or chicken ...or fish.

Dating, flirting and generally being alluring isn't my forte either... hmmph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Complete a course, you know something that will teach me something new.

My work are offering to pay now and asking if I've picked yet, thing is, I know it will help me get places down the road work wise and I really would love to.... but my aspie ways, my inability to make/have/hold friends and my general lack of basic school-ing skills (spelling and hand-writhing and math) all make my confidence rock bottom on the best of days and so I will politely decline.

I'll just keep on wowing people with my 'aspie' ability to remember facts and let them think i'm some sort of know-it-all genius, in disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

tigger123 wrote:
    Lighting a fire (in the fireplace). Always goes out on me.

Easy if done right. Throw a half bucket of coal in, get 2 fire lighters and make sure you have kindling. If you have kindling you are guaranteed it will light. If you have put enough coal on it won't need to be touched for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Would love to be able to wear them but just cannot get used to essentially sticking something in my eye and then pinching it out.

Putting in and taking out contact lenses.

Snap. I've given up on them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Relationships

Easy if done right. Throw a half bucket of coal in, get 2 fire lighters and make sure you have kindling. If you have kindling you are guaranteed it will light. If you have put enough coal on it won't need to be touched for a few hours

Does this also apply to dating? :rolleyes: because this is probably the only fire I could ever start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Not getting lost/always knowing where you are.
    I've no internal map (or a very wonky one) so it takes me ages to get used to the layout of a new place. Or I get completely lost if I'm somewhere I know but take a different exit.
    I have lots of strategies to help, like the gps on my phone is a godsend. Before I had gps, I'd print out maps to where I wanted to go, or learn the names of the streets on the route.
    My husband and son both have great senses of direction, so they laugh at me because they don't get how stressful it is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not getting lost/always knowing where you are.
    I've no internal map (or a very wonky one) so it takes me ages to get used to the layout of a new place. Or I get completely lost if I'm somewhere I know but take a different exit.
    I have lots of strategies to help, like the gps on my phone is a godsend. Before I had god, I'd print out maps to where I wanted to go, or learn the names of the streets on the route.
    My husband and son both have great senses of direction, so they laugh at me because they don't get how stressful it is!

I'm the exact same. Pricks wouldn't allow you laugh at a dyslexic but pulling the piss out of a dysfindyourwayroundic is fair game.

IKEA is the worst place in the world for me. I'm convinced someone follows me around moving the arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I can never seem to be able to properly boil an egg. It's nearly always half done when I open the shell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Opening a peel back pack of cheese or ham slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Write an essay without procrastinating the absolute bollocks out of it...

I'd better get back to it... okay one last quick peep in AH and THEN I'll get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Poop when i know that someone is nearby and can hear me. Even in my own house... It can be very tricky when you dying for a ****e in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Typing "select" at the start of an SQL command. The amount of times the below happens

seelct seelc seel see se .... select FAWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKK and breathe ... select

I also can't do that clicking noise to get the attention of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Open doors. If the key has to be twiddled or there's a way of moving the handle to disengage the lock or it just needs a good shove 'just so' and then you yank it..I can't do it and someone always has to do it for me.

I know dyspraxic people who can't blow their nose or do their laces as adults. I think one of the One Direction boys has the shoelace problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So many things.

I cook very badly.
    Parking inbetween two white lines sometimes feels like navigating the Himalayas.
    I can't throw or catch.
    The sheet on the bed never stays put over each corner.
    I use a box of matches when lighting a few itty bitty candles.
    Sums. Sweet Jesus the sums :(
    The most shameful of all - not always knowing left from right.

Officer take me away to stupid person prison.

I'v worn a ring on my left hand since childhood. When giving directions I always think which side that ring is on before speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

razorblunt wrote: »
    Typing "select" at the start of an SQL command. The amount of times the below happens

seelct seelc seel see se .... select FAWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKK and breathe ... select

I also can't do that clicking noise to get the attention of dogs.

selec ttop1 0 fro mMatchedOrdersw ith (noloc)k
    orderb y1 desc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Crossing the road. If there's no designated crossing, I'll usually wait til someone else is crossing and follow them :o

I was in Brussels recently and the green man at a zebra crossing apparently means nothing to drivers there - I was so panicky there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Cutting my toenails, especially the ones on my right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Sit with leg crossed (ankle-on-knee) and the raised lower leg horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reading, writing and remembering things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Using small talk with people in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Frigating wrote: »
    This philosophy essay. It's due Friday and I've barely started.

What's it on?

Don't say Hegel. I can't do Hegel. He wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

B00! wrote: »
    I eat vegetarian only because I don't know how to cook meat ...or chicken ...or fish.

I was the opposite. I ate no vegetables until my 30's and then went vegetarian. My friends thought it was hilarious when I asked questions like "But how do you tell if broccoli is cooked?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can never put the vacuum cleaner back together when I have opened it to empty it.
    I'm a competent cook but I can't roast beef properly no matter how hard I try. I can't cook steak either.
    I can't reverse into a car space, my brain just goes to mush completely and I will turn the wheel the opposite way to how it's meant to go.
    I avoid parallel parking as I can never judge how close the car behind me is. It looks like I'm about to tip it and when I get out there is several feet of space between us.
    I will only attempt parallel parking if the passengers side of the car is at the kerb.
    I can rarely tell my left from my right and have no sense of direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Remembering what i went upstairs for. Time and time again I go upstairs, get there, and think WTF did I just come up here for?

Should have bought a bungalow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Open doors. If the key has to be twiddled or there's a way of moving the handle to disengage the lock or it just needs a good shove 'just so' and then you yank it..I can't do it and someone always has to do it for me.

I know dyspraxic people who can't blow their nose or do their laces as adults.
    I think one of the One Direction boys has the shoelace problem.
    Yup, I'm dyspraxic, can't blow my nose. I just stick a tissue up there to clear up any running mucus. I can tie my shoelaces, but in a fcuked up way so that it keeps coming loose every 20 minutes.
    Other things I can't due to dyspraxia
    Sweep or mop floors
    Make it on time and with all the materials to a lecture/meeting, I'm either late with all my stuff or on time but missing something.
    Walk without bumping into people or tripping over my own feet.
    Draw/write clearly
    Hold a conversation with someone I don't know when sober
    Lots more, just can't think of them right now.

Advertisement