Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road tax diverted to Irish Water!! now confirmed we pay x 3 for water in Irl!!

Options
  • 05-02-2015 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

it's just been admitted on oireachtas tv at a controller and auditor general meeting that 2/3 of road tax takings has been diverted to IW, add that to the €490,000,000 from the local property tax and ya got a hell of a lot of money that could have went towards fixing the water infrastructure ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Motor tax*

It all goes into the same pot. Motor tax, property tax, the min price for alcohol tax will do the same.

But it shouldn't be diverted to Irish water. The whole company is flawed ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Well it's certainly not being used for improvements of the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Road tax is such a regressive taxation these days. I can't afford a 'new' car so I have to pay €636 per year to tax my 2004 mondeo.

If I could afford to buy a newer car post July 2008, the equivilent car would cost about 300 a year or half that again if i could afford a comparable Diesel model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

smash wrote: »
    Motor tax*

It all goes into the same pot. Motor tax, property tax, the min price for alcohol tax will do the same.

But it shouldn't be diverted to Irish water. The whole company is flawed ffs!
    Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Well it's certainly not being used for improvements of the roads.

it's common knowledge that a certain percentage of road tax went towards schooling so now it's being diverted to IW what's the craic with the schools budget now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think the whole mythology of motor tax revenue being ploughed back into infrastructure has long since gone the way of Santy Claus, the Tooth-Fairy and a politician who could see beyond his/her nose. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

A billing system, just let that sink in for a minute.

1 billion spent on a billing system BEFORE any repairs are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Make up your mind - do you want the money to pay for the water that comes out of the taps to come from central funds, or do you want to pay for it like a utility. Treated water is not free.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Road tax is such a regressive taxation these days. I can't afford a 'new' car so I have to pay €636 per year to tax my 2004 mondeo.

If I could afford to buy a newer car post July 2008, the equivilent car would cost about 300 a year or half that again if i could afford a comparable Diesel model.

road tax should be added to the cost of fuel at the pumps, in France fuel is cheaper than Ireland even though the road tax is added on to it!! ;)

we're being robbed blind!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is there a news link for this story yet? Can't find one...

it was just admitted at a meeting live in the last 15 - 25 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

hmmm wrote: »
    Make up your mind - do you want the money to pay for the water that comes out of the taps to come from central funds, or do you want to pay for it like a utility. Treated water is not free.

Valid point but that doesn't mean you need Irish Water.

In fact if we didn't have Irish Water wouldn't we have more money to spend on the water infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

hmmm wrote: »

To be sure it isn't. Except no-one has spent a red ha'penny on treating water yet. There's been hundreds of millions spent on establishing the latest fantastical boondoggle that is IW though, together with all these white-elephant metering units, redeploying the hordes of eunuchs from De Council like, and the usual Byzantine cast of thousands! :pac:

this vid is a bit rough but the confirmation that we're now paying three times for water is there if ya want/need to watch it

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1029987353683488&pnref=story
    jimgoose wrote: »
    To be sure it isn't. Except no-one has spent a red ha'penny on treating water yet. There's been hundreds of millions spent on establishing the latest fantastical boondoggle that is IW though, together with all these white-elephant metering units, redeploying the hordes of eunuchs from De Council like, and the usual Byzantine cast of thousands! :pac:

it's well over €1,000,000,000 spent so far, that we know of!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

This to my mind is why we should restructure the tax take to ensure that all taxes (outside of income tax) are ringfenced.
    If the roads cost more then expected then road tax goes up, if an excess is generated then it has to be spent on transport projects. That way a tax is used for it's intended purpose, it also forces a fiscal prudence on those that spend the money because asking for more would require justification and it also means that the pot can't be pilfered.
    Ringfenced taxation would deliver the accountability in government that we only dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Ohh the Irony .... Ruining your rims in a Pothole filled with water leaking from a failed water infrastructure system (while drunk)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

It might be better if we could divert some brain cells to the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Closed

See IW thread in Politics Cafe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement