Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted Child Abductions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Bob Harris wrote: »
    You'd want to be fairly useless not to be able to abduct a child.

Dunno, kids are much fatter these days. Harder to grab and throw into a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Most kids are abused by someone they know whether it be a friend of the family, brother or sister, father, mother, uncle, auntie. And most sex offenders are smart enough to find easy prey they can groom and continue to abuse right under the noses of their parents, teachers etc. The stranger in a white van myth is probably perpetuated, was even started maybe, by actual sex offenders hoping to divert attention away from themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cjmc wrote: »
    Actually it’s NOT a different story , it’s the exact story I told ! I was outside the school collecting the kids when I first posted and got a bit carried away with my facts about what happened to them . FB warning was that they were spotted in Dundalk, and a few days later they’re casing a primary school ( I know of one there may be others) 10 minutes down the M1 !!
    Call bull **** if you want but it’s not .
    I now know a lot of the staff there and thank god they were vigilant.

There is not a consistent fact in both your story and the story you linked to. Still calling bull****, still calling the below.
    People need to feel important so they make up stuff in order to be the center of attention. Flavour of the month is currently child abductions.

Consequently, parents worry too much and kids aren't allowed to just go outside and play and be kids.

And for some reason, this is seen as a positive development in society.

Actions like really are not helpful when it comes to kids growing up for reasons alluded to the the second sentece of my post above.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There is not a consistent fact in both your story and the story you linked to. Still calling bull****, still calling the below.

Actions like really are not helpful when it comes to kids growing up for reasons alluded to the the second sentece of my post above.
    So there’s not a consistent fact in my story ?? . The fact is a fb post went out about 2 known paedos spotted in the Dundalk area , they were then seen driving into a primary school in Newry several times , so much so that parents were alerted . Somehow local ‘ boyos’ caught them and dealt outa bit of rough justice, I’m guessing. If you seem to doubt me bring it to pm . But my kids were in danger of god knows what if they had carried out what appears to be a concerted plan to grab a kid from a school/ street

Princess doubted my story so I posted a link to it . Now you don’t believe the link fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Most of the ‘man in a white van’ stories I heard growing up seemed like the usual stranger danger scaremongering. However, I recall that there was one that had veracity. There was very specific details and the person was caught on CCTV at the local leisure centre trying to snatch a child. I’m not sure what happened in the end.

Most of the ‘man in a white van’ stories I heard growing up seemed like the usual stranger danger scaremongering. However, I recall that there was one that had veracity. There was very specific details and the person was caught on CCTV at the local leisure centre trying to snatch a child. I’m not sure what happened in the end.

I agree with you, but I what posted is true . And probably due , in large part to a fb post. For people to say it’s ALL bull**** is , I now know is very gullible and naive

Just reread the story in the link I posted. Different incident but same 2 basterds , and on the same day or day after as the incident at my kids school. Some addresses in the article are similar hence my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A woman near us put it up in Facebook last week that someone tried to take her new born from the back of her car and she was followed nearly 6km till the people in the van got a chance to open her back door... usual panic mode on Facebook saying guards were investigating and knew who the man and woman were.
    Thing was the same woman was seen in doing her shopping in a completely different town at the time she said attempted abduction and was pulled up on Facebook over it and where she said it happened had very good CCTV a fact she wasn’t aware of.
    Post was deleted after a few hours but right up to that people were defending her and screaming abuse at anyone who questioned her.

I can’t understand the mentality of putting a post like that up on social media just for likes and attention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

School.
    White van.
    FOREIGN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Never got any notification. Parents around here probably don't care about kids and don't notice when their kids are being almost abducted.

That being said it's easy for this type of paranoia to affect you. I have a 6 year old who has the Maddie McCann type look (blond hair, bright eyes, pretty) and very open personality, she will talk to or smile at anyone. I am always more alert when travelling with her then I was when our 10 years old son was younger. I was even told by others to watch her. There is no rational thinking behind, she was never in any danger but I still can't help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

spurious wrote: »
    School.
    White van.
    FOREIGN!!!

Not unless Dr. Brown shows up... :)

In fairness, this kind of stories went around when I was a kid and that was long before the age of multiculturalism - just word of mouth instead of Facebook (And why the **** is it always facebook? The moment someone uses facebook in order to pass on "vital information" you just know it's attention seeking).

This is why I hate these bull****ters: I was one of those kids that was put under house arrest by a terrified (but otherwise wonderful, in fairness) mother every ****ing time one of these stories went around. When I was about 10 or 11, I started ignoring her and went our anyway and she responded by grounding me. When I pointed out that I was effectively already grounded, she had no response.

In Germany (and probably most other countries) you see 8-9 year olds kids coming home from school on the ubahn on their own and actually LEARNING street-smarts and independence. In Ireland, you have terrified mothers picking their kids up from schools less than a few hundred meters away because some ****tard on the internet needs their ego validated. Then they see a white can probably innocently making a delivery and the spiral escalates. Have a guess who suffers then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DJ WIPEOUT

I found the real-life story behind BBC2’s modern slavery drama 'Doing Money' to be shocking but even more so the pace at which anyone can be abducted, have their life stripped of them and then become enslaved... whilst permanently emotionally, mentally and physically scarred.

'Doing Money' relates to the horrific real-life story of Ana (not her real name), a young Romanian woman who was snatched off a London street in broad daylight, trafficked to Ireland and forced to be a sex slave in pop-up brothels around the country for ten months. Taking away her passport, threatening her family's safety in Romania and violence were the ways used to control her.

Some very sinister criminals and psychos out there people... Keep safe!

Fair play to the nine year old boy in Derry who saved an eighteen year old girl from being abducted by 3 men (if you can call them that) - very clever thinking on his part to go for his phone and tell the abductors he was going to phone the police if they didn't release her.

Not unless Dr. Brown shows up... :)

In fairness, this kind of stories went around when I was a kid and that was long before the age of multiculturalism - just word of mouth instead of Facebook (And why the **** is it always facebook? The moment someone uses facebook in order to pass on "vital information" you just know it's attention seeking).

This is why I hate these bull****ters: I was one of those kids that was put under house arrest by a terrified (but otherwise wonderful, in fairness) mother every ****ing time one of these stories went around. When I was about 10 or 11, I started ignoring her and went our anyway and she responded by grounding me. When I pointed out that I was effectively already grounded, she had no response.

In Germany (and probably most other countries) you see 8-9 year olds kids coming home from school on the ubahn on their own and actually LEARNING street-smarts and independence. In Ireland, you have terrified mothers picking their kids up from schools less than a few hundred meters away because some ****tard on the internet needs their ego validated. Then they see a white can probably innocently making a delivery and the spiral escalates. Have a guess who suffers then?
    I agree with you. I think it’s a case of if there’s enough shyte put up ,sooner or after something will turn out to be true. As what nearly happened in my case

Advertisement